Player Discussion Michael Del Zotto

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Best free agent signing of the Benning Administration. Excellent defensemen who seems to do everything well. I think he's been a god send for our backend.

Reactions: AlexEdler23

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
In my opinion, so far the best acquisition of the offseason.

He skates well, good presence offensively and not
Best free agent signing of the Benning Administration. Excellent defensemen who seems to do everything well. I think he's been a god send for our backend.

And I think he's emerging as one of the leaders of the young core.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes it takes d-men a a number of seasons to reach their potential, and Del Zotto has been slowed by injuries during some of those seasons. At 27 he might finally be coming into his own....I suppose this means there's still hope for Pouliot who is four years younger.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
But he's off to a good start. Of the 4/44 pairing, Gudbranson is the one who tends to get beat wide more often than not. Go Del Zotto!

Decent acquisition so far in this young season.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Sometimes it takes d-men a a number of seasons to reach their potential, and Del Zotto has been slowed by injuries during some of those seasons. At 27 he might finally be coming into his own....I suppose this means there's still hope for Pouliot who is four years younger.

He has had pretty good possession metrics the past few years and was obviously in a bad situation where he had fallen out with his coach and the Flyers have had Gostisbehere and Provorov emerge as young offensive D in recent years. I thought he was pretty much the perfect kind of player for us to be targeting and I am happy he has done well so far.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I think people are confusing "lots of ice time" with "playing well"

One does not necessarily equal, or happen because one is receiving the other

To his credit, he is playing with some zip, he appears to be highly motivated and giving everything he's got.

To Green's mind, I'm sure he sees a guy playing hard, who is experienced, can wheel and is well conditioned with a proven track record for being an offensive threat, So I don't disagree with his getting the ice he has,

Where I disagree with everyone is in the conclusion that these factors have added up to tangible benefits so far.

So far I see great effort, but not a whole lot of results. I see no points and a -4, you can't spin that into "He's killing it" he isn't

However, with the energy he's shown, I do believe that good things are inevitable and that barring injury, this could be a great season for him, the guy definitely came to play. (Think: The opposite of Erikson)

But I will reserve my praise for when his efforts add up to something.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have never been a big fan of him. In a 2nd pairing role and at his salary, I think he can be a good Dman to have on the team. But he isn't some great first pairing Dman.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
it is like elmer has not followed hockey for years and instead uses all of the player evaluations he received when he was with Boston. It is really baffling.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
I was pretty meh on the signing, however he looks to be playing pretty well. Playing hard too.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Yes, he has certainly looked impressive. When Edler went down he stepped up big-time and looked great. Sometimes this is what players need to give them the extra boost to reach maximum potential. Really liking this player.

Reactions: sting101

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He is a strange one. I watch NYR quite a lot (easier with the time difference and I´m Norwegian so with Zuccarello...) and he went from looking like a potential offensive force to becoming an error prone nobody. In the second season at the Flyers he logged a lot of tough minutes as a stay at home D. Playing almost the opposite role he had early on in his career.

Combine those two things and....... !!

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
He is a strange one. I watch NYR quite a lot (easier with the time difference and I´m Norwegian so with Zuccarello...) and he went from looking like a potential offensive force to becoming an error prone nobody. In the second season at the Flyers he logged a lot of tough minutes as a stay at home D. Playing almost the opposite role he had early on in his career.

Combine those two things and....... !!

That’s always the problem with guys who are “almost good” in playing top minutes. They look fine in limited roles. But with increased minutes, and often against a higher level of opposition, their flaws are exposed.

With the continual barrage of injuries on our blue line, MDZ becomes a candidate to be one of the whipping boys.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
So far, I'm impressed. He was scratched a number of times last season, so I'm a little wary that this is sustainable. But he's eating minutes and doing a generally good job.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He appears to be a third pairing guy on a decent team. On this team it means he'll be the #3.... number 2 with Edler out.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That’s always the problem with guys who are “almost good” in playing top minutes. They look fine in limited roles. But with increased minutes, and often against a higher level of opposition, their flaws are exposed.

With the continual barrage of injuries on our blue line, MDZ becomes a candidate to be one of the whipping boys.

Sure, but I don´t get why he hasn´t ended up in a somewhat limited role somewhere else yet. Good guy to have on the 3rd pair who can play 2nd pair minutes when injuries hit.

I guess he ended up with us due to the money.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Strange how coaches get fixated on some players.....last year Willie couldn't enough of Chaput and Megna, and now they're both in the minors. Del Zotto's big minutes could be the same phenomenon or a reflection of just how thin the Canucks blueline really is.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
He's been fine yea. Hasn't been a guy who puts up PP numbers, so I'm not expecting much there.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
pretty much echo what most have said here. Was a big fan back early in his Ranger days. Seems to have had a really bad rep as a party boy and it may be a case of a player coming of age focussing and finally settling into his career as a pro.

We'll see how it goes, it's really early but this player reminds me a lot of Chris Higgins when he came to Van. I've enjoyed the start.

Reactions: IKEA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad