Metroid Dread (Metroid 5) - Nintendo Switch - October 8 2021

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I ended up 100%ing it. Probably the first time I've done that so soon after a release. Those extended Shinespark puzzles, man. I didn't even know you could do the
Shine-spark-wall-jumping-off-a-ramp
one. I kept looking at the item location and those speed boost blocks and going "How in the hell is that even possible?"

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Still early, but so far, Hard Mode seems pretty lame. The enemies do more damage, but everything feels completely the same so far-- same number of enemies, same behavior, Emmis aren't any harder to escape from....

Based on the first few boss fights, it feels like if you nailed the attack patterns of boss fights in normal mode, you'll nail them in the same way here.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Nah, it’s good. I was just venting. Got killed by an EMMI like 8 times in a row. I do find that part of the game kinda dumb though.

5Gignhs.gif

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nah, it’s good. I was just venting. Got killed by an EMMI like 8 times in a row. I do find that part of the game kinda dumb though.
I definitely prefer the Metroidvania sections over the EMMI sections, but I think for the most part it still works okay, is reasonably manageable, and does admittedly add a nice change of pace/creepy atmosphere once in a while, other than the last few
underwater/freeze beam/projectile
ones. Typically, it's just look in the map, plan a route, run through it as quickly as possible, and do a loop if the exit's not obvious.

I'm still not sure what the most efficient way is for doing the part where
you're underwater and supposed to climb up with the spider magnet
, though.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Am I the only one that really enjoyed the EMMI sections ? Was looking forward to every one of them.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Excellent video that perfectly expresses something that I had trouble deciding if it was a good or bad thing about the game.

If anything, the game kind of punishes you for being adventurous and trying to force your way out off the beaten path.

Still an easy game of the year regardless for me, but also what probably keeps it from being as beautiful as Super Metroid, despite its numerous improvements that make it a tough consideration.

While we're at it:

That inspired ice beam back to the spaceship moment mentioned at 10:45 is probably what's keeping it from quite getting there for me.

Although new speedrunning paths might change all that at some point, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Boss Rush mode is super addictive. This is the fastest I can do it:
BossRush.jpg

Few things more satisfying than landing the Shinespark on Z-57.

The Survival Rush mode seems impossible to me. Seems like the only way you can get to Ravenbeak is if you quickly beat virtually every boss without getting damaged at all.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Man, i'm really struggling to defeat Raven Beak.

Overall thought this game has far exceeded my expectations. Glad i finally got around to playing it.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I need to get around to trying this once I beat the new Zelda. Torn between this game and Prime Remastered though.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I need to get around to trying this once I beat the new Zelda. Torn between this game and Prime Remastered though.
I had this one in the backlog for over a year. It’s a breath of fresh air after playing a longer open world game. Controls and movement are snappy and fast paced. Highly recommend as a post Zelda game. Fun for different reasons.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad