Metroid Dread (Metroid 5) - Nintendo Switch - October 8 2021

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like the early game of Metroid Dread a lot more than the same point in Hollow Knight, but Hollow Knight really won me over later on. The storytelling is obviously going to be a lot stronger in Hollow Knight-- I haven't seen much of Metroid Dread's story yet, but come'on, it's not even going to be close, and I think the battle mechanics are probably going to be a lot stronger too, but I'm much more impressed by Dread's traversal/progression design, movement, and how it good it is at specifically being a Metroidvania (there are some things about the way Hollow Knight's map progression is designed that feel like flaws to me). Air tight so far in that regard, IMO.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I have seen videos on youtube about sequence breaking to get some items earlier then then intended way which is a great thing to see. That is a reason why I love Super Metroid and Metroid Zero Mission so much.

One of them involves getting bombs earlier and being able to use them to defeat Kraid in a special quicker and easier way

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Speed booster really busts this game open in terms of movement god damn. I can't ever remember shinesparks being that easy to do.

Only problem is now, Im not sure where to go lol. I managed to grab a few items since I tried to get into the water area but there wasn't much for me to do.

I'm assuming the way forward is somewhere back in Cataris. I definitely remember there being morph ball track there and a speed booster wall. Not sure that's it though

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Speed booster really busts this game open in terms of movement god damn. I can't ever remember shinesparks being that easy to do.

Only problem is now, Im not sure where to go lol. I managed to grab a few items since I tried to get into the water area but there wasn't much for me to do.

I'm assuming the way forward is somewhere back in Cataris. I definitely remember there being morph ball track there and a speed booster wall. Not sure that's it though
They weren't. In Super Metroid being able to master the wall jump and the shinesparks is basically the only way to speed run it.

Reactions: LokiDog

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

I'm probably stating the obviously here, but check your map. Slightly less obviously is that you can highlight certain map features with 'X' (or maybe it's 'Y'?), like bomb blocks if you hover your cursor over it. Do this with your most recent upgrade and that should get you moving along.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I am trying to remember if you ever need to use the Shinespark go complete the game normally? I feel like you didn't?
Uhm, you need it at least once to get out of a trap pit if you speed dash through one of the rooms. It's basically the pit where it teaches you how to use it to escape. To 100% the game, you absolutely need it.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Wtf is shinespark lol

099.gif

Requires Speed Booster

Reactions: The Macho King

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm on the boss fight
Experiment No. Z-57
, and it is both properly (but satisfyingly) challenging and a total blast-- my favorite of the game so far. So many tricky attack patterns, tools that get utilized, parrying, and specific things that you have to figure out to target if you want to get anywhere. The spectacle is great too.

The advanced speed-run-y method of being able to
Shinespark into its face for an insta-kill
is really clever and cool, too.

Apparently the developers also built in a secret
bombable morph-ball launcher that insta-kills Kraid, too

Such great attention to detail in this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Macho King

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh, it's from the GBA game? Never played it
It's optional tech in Super Metroid. Did you ever fall into any rooms with animals that teach you moves? One of them teaches you how to wall jump, and the other teaches you how to shine spark up out of a chasm that you fall into.

Speaking of hidden tech, can Crystal Flash be done in Metroid Dread? Now THAT'S a hidden one that blew my mind when I learned it existed in Super Metroid.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
It's optional tech in Super Metroid. Did you ever fall into any rooms with animals that teach you moves? One of them teaches you how to wall jump, and the other teaches you how to shine spark up out of a chasm that you fall into.

Oh, yea, that, I didn't know "shinespark" is what it was called

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Oh, it's from the GBA game? Never played it

No its in other games that have Speed Booster too I just used that one because its the best single example I could quickly find.

You should play Metroid Zero Mission it's a great remake of the Original NES Metroid. Game has 3 difficulties of Easy,Normal and Hard with Hard being unlocked after beating game for the 1st time and also original NES Metroid is unlocked to play too after beating the game for the 1st time. There is also artwork that you can unlock based on difficulty + item collection % and time to beat the game.

Reactions: Jovavic

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Speaking of hidden tech, can Crystal Flash be done in Metroid Dread? Now THAT'S a hidden one that blew my mind when I learned it existed in Super Metroid.

I had only found out about Crystal Flash in the last few days. Kinda blew my mind. I think there's also some other beam techs too within Super?

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Ended up getting it due to the FOMO.

- Beat Kraid last night.

Im really liking it but I do feel like it’s missing something. Can’t really put my finger on it. But I love games like this where once you get a certain item, you can go back to a previous area and use it to unlock something.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad