Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

If Seattle acquires a team, I'd like to see the team be called the Seattle Totems. There's just too much history both with the WHL and throughout their attempts to join the NHL to be ignored. The greatest professional player in Seattle's history, Guyle Fielder, played for the Totems. They also had a rivalry with the Canucks. It's just the proper way to go.

Though the Metropolitans won the Stanley Cup 96 years ago, the Totems franchise has a lengthier and more significant history with the city of Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:

embee

Apr 29, 2011
Unlike some other prospective Seattle NHL owners, Levin is not in the know, and likely lacks the deep relationships within the highest levels of the NBA & NHL. In that article though, Don Levin was able to confirm something we've known for a while:
"I have had no (recent) contact with Chris. He has probably worked with some other people ... When I spoke to him at some point in the past, he said there were other people interested, so I'm sure he is (pursuing a team with other owners)."

I previously speculated on the identity of our mystery Seattle NHL prospective owner here (link), and it looks as though Seattle PI blogger Nick Eaton, on February 19, 2012, also considers this family a standing member in the usual suspects:
When you think of local multimillionaires who might put up the cash to fund a new NBA and NHL arena in Seattle, a few names come to mind: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, cellular mogul Craig McCaw. So, who the heck is (this Pacific Northwest native & and Bay Area resident) Chris Hansen?​

Though I've yet to find a smoking gun, my suspicion is that another Pacific Northwest native & and Bay Area resident, Greg Jamison, who has his own deep ties to the NHL & NBA, is somehow directly or indirectly in on it.

That reminds me, John McCaw Jr. was the majority owner of the Canucks from 1997-2004. I haven't heard anything about him since the sale, maybe he wants back in the game...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That reminds me, John McCaw Jr. was the majority owner of the Canucks from 1997-2004. I haven't heard anything about him since the sale, maybe he wants back in the game...

I think things will pick up regarding who the NHL guy will be once the arena gets finalized and construction started which could happen as early as this fall if NBA approves the sale and reloc of the kings to seattle and the city/county gives their final approval.

Shaz

Jan 23, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Why would the LA Kings ever move to a smaller market in Seattle? I can't click on the link due to me being on a government computer

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Why would the LA Kings ever move to a smaller market in Seattle? I can't click on the link due to me being on a government computer

.... seriously? Sacramento Kings of the NBA. They're being brought up as a return of the NBA was essentially critical in getting a new arena built, which paves the way for the NHL to come in as well.

gmjevtwa

Oct 25, 2012
Everett, WA
http://t.co/P4DtT7o0

Nice job NESN!!! Wrong kings!

Oops!

Why would the LA Kings ever move to a smaller market in Seattle?

This was not about the LA Kings moving to a smaller market. This is about an unidentified NESN sports producer or intern not paying enough attention to detail (NBA Sacramento Kings/NHL Los Angeles Kings). There is no need to over-analyze what was essentially an error on the part of one NESN employee and a few others not catching the mistake before it aired on the screen.

Last edited:

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Found this on the FAN 590 out of Toronto. Nothing really earth shattering if you've been following these boards, but interesting none-the-less.

Brock Huard with Jeff Blair

The co-host of Brock & Salk on ESPN 710AM in Seattle joined The Jeff Blair Show to discuss the sale of the Sacramento Kings to Christopher Hanson and the return of basketball to Seattle as well as the possibility of a future NHL franchise.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/FanA...ard-with-Jeff-Blair-jb-20130122-Interview.mp3

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Oops!

This was not about the LA Kings moving to a smaller market. This is about an unidentified NESN sports producer or intern not paying enough attention to detail (NBA Sacramento Kings/NHL Los Angeles Kings). There is no need to over-analyze what was essentially an error on the part of one NESN employee and a few others not catching the mistake before it aired on the screen.

Makes up for times when the Sacromento Kings logo was used on LA TV while the LA Kings were on their Stanley Cup run last spring.

So...the Sacromento Kings won the Stanley Cup and the LA Kings are moving to Seattle. Did Wayne Gretzky play for the Houston Oilers??

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
So watched the press conference.... No new info seemed a mess...multiple arenaplans ,multiple investors, no one stepping up.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
If Seattle acquires a team, I'd like to see the team be called the Seattle Totems. There's just too much history both with the WHL and throughout their attempts to join the NHL to be ignored. The greatest professional player in Seattle's history, Guyle Fielder, played for the Totems. They also had a rivalry with the Canucks. It's just the proper way to go.

Though the Metropolitans won the Stanley Cup 96 years ago, the Totems franchise has a lengthier and more significant history with the city of Seattle.

What if their jerseys looked like this??

Totems2_zps9025b6f4.png

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Totems is an awful name for a hockey team IMO. I've said this before, but it sounds like something the MLS would use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad