Player Discussion Methot vs Phaneuf

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
my first instinct was to pick Methot, but then I thought about it for a bit.

I'm starting to think that these pairings should be set moving forward

Phaneuf - EK
Methot - Ceci

Here's my thinking. Phaneuf paired with EK has led to us witnessing some of the best hockey we have seen from Phaneuf since he came here.

Methot with Ceci still gives Ceci a top quality partner who will handle the defensive end and allow Ceci to join the rush. Additionally, Methot is more mobile than Dion, so this should also help Ceci's game.

Furthermore, I think Methot is a really steady player and will not have a dip in his game if he's paired with Ceci instead of EK.

So if pairing Dion with EK and gets the maximum from him and pairing Methot with Ceci allows Ceci to keep improving, then why not do that? It maximizes the play from 2 players without hurting the play of 2 others.

ps. Don't respond to this with "recency bias" comments because obviously it's that. Dion just started playing with EK. What the hell else can we base our opinions on?

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Methot fer sure. Much more mobile. Now if only Boucher can convince him to forget about throwing that BIG HIPCHECK (which he misses half the time, getting outta position...or worse, hurting himself FFS)

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Maybe Phaneuf will kick it into another gear (2nd gear?!) in the playoffs this yr

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
The problem with putting phaneuf with karlsson and methot with ceci is that there is 0 offensive threat from that second pairing.

Ceci is reminding me if Phillips. Drafted for his offence yet develops as a shut down

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The problem with putting phaneuf with karlsson and methot with ceci is that there is 0 offensive threat from that second pairing.

Ceci is reminding me if Phillips. Drafted for his offence yet develops as a shut down

Ceci has a good offensive skill set. He can skate with the puck, and pinches well for offensive opportunities. I think if asked to be the offensive D on a pairing, we'd see him create more chances than you'd expect.

Also, where does this idea come from that we drafted Phillips for his offense (in his draft year, he was outscored on his own team by Shayne Hnidy for Christ sake)? Zyuzin was the more offensive top ranked Dman of the draft, Phillips was seen as a more well rounded guy (Here's what the Hockey news had to say about him in their draft preview "He’s not going to be an offensive superstar, but he’s got everything you would want in a defenseman.”) In fact, when he started here, he played at forward in an attempt to get him to play more offensively.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Have to go with Methot here.

Phaneuf's slight offensive advantage is mitigated by Methot's ability to not only play a mobile brand of physical defence but also support Karlsson to a degree that I don't think Dion is capable of.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Phaneuf is slow as molasses, and often gets walked. He's solid when he does his own thing for sure, but Methot at this point is the better dman. I feel like there's some recency bias going on here.

That's how I see it too. Hopefully the team can make LV an offer they can't refuse to keep our top 4 defencemen.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Neither,both are second pairing guys ,iam thinking Chabot will bring something we havent seen in a very long time to that left side.Skill with the puck:nod:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
my first instinct was to pick Methot, but then I thought about it for a bit.

I'm starting to think that these pairings should be set moving forward

Phaneuf - EK
Methot - Ceci

Here's my thinking. Phaneuf paired with EK has led to us witnessing some of the best hockey we have seen from Phaneuf since he came here.

Methot with Ceci still gives Ceci a top quality partner who will handle the defensive end and allow Ceci to join the rush. Additionally, Methot is more mobile than Dion, so this should also help Ceci's game.

Furthermore, I think Methot is a really steady player and will not have a dip in his game if he's paired with Ceci instead of EK.

So if pairing Dion with EK and gets the maximum from him and pairing Methot with Ceci allows Ceci to keep improving, then why not do that? It maximizes the play from 2 players without hurting the play of 2 others.

ps. Don't respond to this with "recency bias" comments because obviously it's that. Dion just started playing with EK. What the hell else can we base our opinions on?

I picked Methot, but I would like to see the team try Phaneuf with Karlsson and Methot with Ceci.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They are actually pretty different players. To this team they hold similar value in what they bring to the table. Methots ability to keep up to Karlsson makes him a very valuable commodity to this team. He is the better defensive player.

Phaneuf is better than people give him credit for. I do think he needs to improve on his gap control and desperation level for loose pucks in the sens zone but other than that he is pretty great. His first pass is underated and so are his puck skills, I love how mean he is and gets under the other teams skin.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Boy did Phaneuf get walked in that Buffalo game.

Was it Ennis? Someone put it through his legs and then neatly walked around him.

Phaneuf gave Anderson a nice tap to the pads for saving his bacon.

Happens to everyone, I get it. But it was pretty spectacular.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm a big fan of Phaneuf since acquiring him. He started the year slowly, but has come on in a big, big way. Amazing to get a #3 D-man for what we paid.

That said...Methot is the better player IMO. He's so amazingly underrated it's actually scary. A powerhouse guy in his own zone, a pretty underrated puck mover and a guy who knows when to pinch.

Methot by quite a bit. His injuries are a slight concern however.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Phaneuf

I like his net front presence more and his shot

Phaneuf and Karlsson are guys who make their defense partner's life much easier

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Boy did Phaneuf get walked in that Buffalo game.

Was it Ennis? Someone put it through his legs and then neatly walked around him.

Phaneuf gave Anderson a nice tap to the pads for saving his bacon.

Happens to everyone, I get it. But it was pretty spectacular.

It was Reinhart, he was buzzing all night. Not a flashy guy but I think he is a star, hockey sense off the charts similar player to Stone.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
IIRC Phaneuf got to use his big shot quite a bit on Leafs PP. That's one part of his game that Sens haven't taken full advantage of...maybe he's too slow to get it off?!

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Voted phaneuf. He has a more well rounded game whereas Methot is more of a stay at home D. One gets PP time the other does not. They both kill penalties, Both hit and block shots. Both seems to have leadership. Thought the poll would be a bit closer.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Voted phaneuf. He has a more well rounded game whereas Methot is more of a stay at home D. One gets PP time the other does not. They both kill penalties, Both hit and block shots. Both seems to have leadership. Thought the poll would be a bit closer.

If Phaneuf didn't skate like a 40 year old the poll would be closer. I'm surprised it's not more of a runaway win for Methot.

As I said I think people see the last few good games by Phaneuf and let that influence their opinion too much. Methot is so much more reliable in his own zone, and Phaneuf's offense doesn't make up for that.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Still think this poll is kind of redundant. The situation we are in means barring risking bad player relations and asking Phaneuf to wave, we have to decide if Methot or Ceci is more valuable to the club. In my mind Methot runs away with that one by a much larger margin. Unless we can buy off Vegas with a pick we lose one of those 2, Phaneuf is protected.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
If Phaneuf didn't skate like a 40 year old the poll would be closer. I'm surprised it's not more of a runaway win for Methot.

As I said I think people see the last few good games by Phaneuf and let that influence their opinion too much. Methot is so much more reliable in his own zone, and Phaneuf's offense doesn't make up for that.

He's a 30-40 point defenceman by career stats and then Methot best season of 24 points mixed in with several between 10 and 20. Phanuef was drafted higher, is paid more and so on. So at what point was it that Phaneuf is definitely worse than him or is the thought from many that Methot was always better than Phaneuf?

It's not easy finding a defenceman that can get you 30-40 points.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Still think this poll is kind of redundant. The situation we are in means barring risking bad player relations and asking Phaneuf to wave, we have to decide if Methot or Ceci is more valuable to the club. In my mind Methot runs away with that one by a much larger margin. Unless we can buy off Vegas with a pick we lose one of those 2, Phaneuf is protected.

They have the option to protected the whole top 4 if they want to.. and personally i would do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad