Player Discussion Methot vs Phaneuf

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
I know this goes against popular belief, but i think we leave Ceci exposed and risk him, less likely to be taken than either Methot, (guaranteed gone) or Phanuef (has to wave). I get the whole hometown boy bias, but losing either of these guys is really bad for the team. Ceci is a far cry from a sure thing to get grabbed (hometown bias doesn't exist outside ottawa). And we have multiple other young defencemen with solid upside in the pipe. Chabot, Jaros, Englund even. I like Ceci, but he doesn't scream indispensible to me, as so many people seem to believe he is.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Phaneuf is slow as molasses, and often gets walked. He's solid when he does his own thing for sure, but Methot at this point is the better dman. I feel like there's some recency bias going on here.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Phaneuf is slow as molasses, and often gets walked. He's solid when he does his own thing for sure, but Methot at this point is the better dman. I feel like there's some recency bias going on here.

How many times has Methot stepped up to tie a game at a crucial point with a skill move?

I'm not saying boo you for choosing Methot, but I think recency bias is a bit of a weak explanation, considering Phaneuf provides things that Methot never has.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Considering they're the same age and Phaneuf doesn't have back problems, I take Pha9.

He's also better offensively, which is a nice bonus. Methot is damn awesome though.

Hopefully we keep both!

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Methot defensively. Phaneuf offensively.

Methot has speed, agility and positioning over Phaneuf.

Phaneuf has the shot, offensive IQ, strength and ruggedness over Methot.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I know this goes against popular belief, but i think we leave Ceci exposed and risk him, less likely to be taken than either Methot, (guaranteed gone) or Phanuef (has to wave). I get the whole hometown boy bias, but losing either of these guys is really bad for the team. Ceci is a far cry from a sure thing to get grabbed (hometown bias doesn't exist outside ottawa). And we have multiple other young defencemen with solid upside in the pipe. Chabot, Jaros, Englund even. I like Ceci, but he doesn't scream indispensible to me, as so many people seem to believe he is.

The team will trade Ceci before they leave him exposed. Ceci's value in a trade even with losing a different player to Vegas will be a net positive compared to just losing Ceci for nothing to Vegas. There's no way Vegas doesn't take Ceci if he is exposed. He is a young right shot defenseman with 1st round pedigree who come expansion will have played almost 300 NHL games. Even if he has his warts or growing pains, they won't pass on him. The only way there is a chance that they pass on Ceci is if Ryan is exposed, and that still won't be a sure thing. As much as they'll need forwards, I just can't see them passing on Ceci even with Ryan exposed.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, Ceci has a ton of value. We are seeing around the league that teams still have a hard time with young defensemen. Good rookie year, decent second year...then a dip in year 3/4, then a rebound...happens to most of them. Dougie Hamilton, Ekblad, even Chris Pronger back in the day. The key is staying patient and continue developing and working with the kid. Every stage - going to a higher pairing or harder opponents, requires a learning curve (and there will be setbacks). You just have to work through it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't see what makes Ceci this hot commodity. On our team he is barely a top 4. At this point he only has value in a package deal.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't see what makes Ceci this hot commodity. On our team he is barely a top 4. At this point he only has value in a package deal.

RD is a very in demand position. Not suggesting we'd get Hall for Ceci, but look at what EDM had to give up to get their young top 4 RD.

All but the most elite defenders take a while to develop. Ceci is only 22 and is playing tough minutes on Ottawa. Is he excelling? Not really. But he hasn't been straight up awful either. He has kept his head above water which is impressive enough. He's also produced pretty well last season despite the fact that Cameron had Karl playing almost the entire PP. Anyone trading for him is likely trading not just for what he is today, but for what they think he can be a few years down the line.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
At worst, Methot looks like a very bad number 4 defender.

At worst, Phaneuf looks like a pylon. It really isn't close at this time unless Phaneuf plays like he has for the rest of the season.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What about the fact that Methot always get injured every season?

Phaneuf is just starting to look comfortable on our team so I expect a little more improvement.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
At worst, Methot looks like a very bad number 4 defender.

At worst, Phaneuf looks like a pylon. It really isn't close at this time unless Phaneuf plays like he has for the rest of the season.
More is expected from Phaneuf. He is not a very bad #4. Maybe give Phaneuf a better partner and you get better results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad