Value of: Merzlikins or Korpisalo to Colorado

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Jesus.

I know our staff has an obsession with the Blue Jackets so its not only the fans on here but I hope they aren't that stupid...

The Avs don't need Jenner or Savard nearly enough to ever contemplate giving up anything major for them. Not to mention that I would have concerns fitwise. Avs games is predicated on speed. Hard pass.

Merzlikins at best is a conversation for the offseason if Grubauer demands too much money ( even though I am not sure Merzlikins would be much cheaper)...

I hope the Jackets go on a winning streak soon if only to prevent these stupid proposals from even have a chance of becoming true...

If the Avs are looking at goalies because Franky won't be back in time for the playoffs, Reimer is the obvious move. Almost makes too much sense...

Reactions: Belgican

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Jesus.

I know our staff has an obsession with the Blue Jackets so its not only the fans on here but I hope they aren't that stupid...

The Avs don't need Jenner or Savard nearly enough to ever contemplate giving up anything major for them. Not to mention that I would have concerns fitwise. Avs games is predicated on speed. Hard pass.

Merzlikins at best is a conversation for the offseason if Grubauer demands too much money ( even though I am not sure Merzlikins would be much cheaper)...

I hope the Jackets go on a winning streak soon if only to prevent these stupid proposals from even have a chance of becoming true...

If the Avs are looking at goalies because Franky won't be back in time for the playoffs, Reimer is the obvious move. Almost makes too much sense...
Not to sure about Columbus winning streak. Watched game highlights and they were bad. Red Wings beat them 5:1.:laugh:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Jesus.

Yep. Reimer for a 4th or 5th rounder makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Belgican

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Not even close. This is a joke right? RNH is a pending UFA, he doesn't hold that much value.

Any RNH to Columbus deal for more than futures would have to involve at least talk of an extension, sure. But if they can get over that hurdle he's probably the best option out there in terms of age, cost to acquire vs. (future) contract, proven production, etc. Anyone else has significant red flags attached and Jarmo probably doesn't get a third crack at trying to turn the PLD trade around.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How close is Newhook + 1st + Compher for Merzlikins (50% retained) + Savard + Jenner?
I'd call that well worth considering. Hate to lose Jenner, but getting Newhook makes up for a lot.

* * *​
Korpisalo + Laine
For
RNH + Benson + Koskinen + 1st

Would be interesting
Not for the Jackets. If RNH was on a better contract OR he was of sufficiently higher quality, that might have had a chance, but as it is, it's a no-go for Laine. I don't think the Oilers have the class of center we'd demand to make a Laine trade happen (that is to say, there's nobody in that "1b/2a" realm; there's "2b/better as a winger" RNH, and then two epic superstars; nothing in between).

* * *​
Any interest in this offer CBJ fans,

To Col: Merzlikins, Savard

To CBJ: 1st, Ranta, Helleson
Don't know the prospects well enough off the top of my head (or after a quick search), but I can tell you that being from Finland is not an automatic passport to Kekalainen's heart.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Rather than any proposal, I'm going to look at LeBrun's take:

From CBJ: It is possible that Kekalainen is listening to offers for either goalie. I mean, if someone is willing to offer something that helps the roster, he'd be foolish not to listen. That's different from "available" or "shopping," at least in implication. And I surely don't expect Jarmo thinks he can solve the Jackets' big roster flaws with one goalie trade.
Also, the only thing we have to go on as far as the notion that Jarmo might listen on either goalie is, wait for it... LeBrun's reporting last fall.

From Avs: I see what he's saying, that the Avs should be all in and not take a chance on Grubauer getting hurt and having only a backup rather than a 1B. But as many have said, I doubt that's the tack Sakick takes, instead looking to fortify the position with a proven vet backup/limited timeshare-type.

tl;dr: I don't see the fit that LeBrun does.

Reactions: Monk

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

From CBJ: It is possible that Kekalainen is listening to offers for either goalie. I mean, if someone is willing to offer something that helps the roster, he'd be foolish not to listen. That's different from "available" or "shopping," at least in implication. And I surely don't expect Jarmo thinks he can solve the Jackets' big roster flaws with one goalie trade.
Also, the only thing we have to go on as far as the notion that Jarmo might listen on either goalie is, wait for it... LeBrun's reporting last fall.

From Avs: I see what he's saying, that the Avs should be all in and not take a chance on Grubauer getting hurt and having only a backup rather than a 1B. But as many have said, I doubt that's the tack Sakick takes, instead looking to fortify the position with a proven vet backup/limited timeshare-type.

I wish he had even a backup level #2. Francouz is out indefinitely and the two guys we iced this season behind Gru aren't even all that convincing in a #3 role. We've won two games these guys started out of 6, one of them was won by Grubauer after Miska allowed 4 goals on 7 shots against the offensive juggernaut that are the Anaheim Ducks and the other was a 3-2 win over the Yotes where the Avs dominated the Yotes like an AHL team only to hang on to dear life late in 3rd because Miska fought the puck and stopped 16 out of 18 pucks.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I wish he had even a backup level #2. Francouz is out indefinitely and the two guys we iced this season behind Gru aren't even all that convincing in a #3 role. We've won two games these guys started out of 6, one of them was won by Grubauer after Miska allowed 4 goals on 7 shots against the offensive juggernaut that are the Anaheim Ducks and the other was a 3-2 win over the Yotes where the Avs dominated the Yotes like an AHL team only to hang on to dear life late in 3rd because Miska fought the puck and stopped 16 out of 18 pucks.

I get this.

But... if the Avs are looking to bring in a guy they think can help them win if Grubauer gets injured, and they want one of the Jackets' netminders, they're going to have to offer something that solves a major roster flaw on the Jackets.

IMO. Because otherwise, why make a deal when you don't have to? Again, whether they're "available" of he's "listening" or they're being "shopped," I'd guess it's with the idea that it's a way to solve a problem.

The counter is "no one's going to offer a top 6 C for a backup/timeshare goalie." I agree. But then Kekalainen just won't make a trade.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I get this.

But... if the Avs are looking to bring in a guy they think can help them win if Grubauer gets injured, and they want one of the Jackets' netminders, they're going to have to offer something that solves a major roster flaw on the Jackets.

IMO. Because otherwise, why make a deal when you don't have to? Again, whether they're "available" of he's "listening" or they're being "shopped," I'd guess it's with the idea that it's a way to solve a problem.

The counter is "no one's going to offer a top 6 C for a backup/timeshare goalie." I agree. But then Kekalainen just won't make a trade.

I wasn't really arguing the Jackets' side of things. I fully get that, I was just expanding on your point about our #2 woes. I think Columbus is a poor partner for the Avs and I have no idea why some of our fanbase is so hell bent on talking about trading for either of those two. Realistic targets are goalies like Miller, Bernier and the like, not your two guys.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

It’s fair to try to dissect what Lebrun is saying and all but this isn’t Lebrun saying “maybe one of these guys are available”. He said straight up yesterday that both goalies have been available since the offseason. He doesn’t say things that bluntly without being so sure. When he’s speculating he says as much.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It’s fair to try to dissect what Lebrun is saying and all but this isn’t Lebrun saying “maybe one of these guys are available”. He said straight up yesterday that both goalies have been available since the offseason. He doesn’t say things that bluntly without being so sure. When he’s speculating he says as much.

Understood. I'm getting into the semantics of what "available" might mean. I'm suggesting it means "I've got guys you might want but I'm under no pressure to move them so the trade has to be just right."

I do think it's reasonable to point out, though, that the report he references that they've been available since October is his own reporting. Just for context.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad