Value of: Merzlikins or Korpisalo to Colorado

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well, Elvis is exempt so... It would cost you a pretty penny. If Korpisalo then they’d want Grubauer. The Jackets are in the best goaltending situation in the NHL in terms of the ED, they’re not going to mess that up.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Well, Elvis is exempt so... It would cost you a pretty penny. If Korpisalo then they’d want Grubauer. The Jackets are in the best goaltending situation in the NHL in terms of the ED, they’re not going to mess that up.
As absurd as it is to suggest Colorado trading Grubauer, Why would Columbus be requesting him lol?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
How close is Newhook + 1st + Compher for Merzlikins (50% retained) + Savard + Jenner?

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
How close is Newhook + 1st + Compher for Merzlikins (50% retained) + Savard + Jenner?
Jackets would want to keep Jenner and the avalanche wouldn’t want to give up all of that without him (still might be too much with him)

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Joe Sakic isn't trading Newhook for that, no way in hell. Newhook is their only hope in getting cheap high-end top 6 forward out of all their prospects and he shouldn't be dangled for what would be a backup goalie, a guy who would be a 3rd pairing D on the Avs and an upcoming UFA to boot and a 3.75mil 3rd liner who doesn't solve any of the issues we have in our bottom 6. You don't trade borderline blue-chip prospects for that and then adding a 1st to boot? Really?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
As absurd as it is to suggest Colorado trading Grubauer, Why would Columbus be requesting him lol?
Because they need to replace Korpisalo? Did I have to explain that? Grubauer > Korpisalo, but give Columbus a reason why they should deal one of their goalies making 6.8m combined.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think we should go after a tandem goalie since all we need is a reliable backup. And since Elvis is exempt, kinda makes no sense for Columbus to move on from that pairing since they do rely heavily on good goaltending to succeed.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Lebrun never mentioned Elvis ED exempt. I’m sure his opinion would’ve changed.

I would pursue a goalie like Raanta or Kuemper. Both have had injuries but when they’re on they’re on.
Oh yeah I bet Pierre Lebrun doesn’t know Expansion rules. You should email him and educate him.

Lebrun’s not speculating. He said both goalies are available and have been available. Expansion rules aside Pierre Lebrun doesn’t say things like that if it isn’t true.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I don't think we should go after a tandem goalie since all we need is a reliable backup. And since Elvis is exempt, kinda makes no sense for Columbus to move on from that pairing since they do rely heavily on good goaltending to succeed.
Columbus will need to decide on which one of Korpisalo/Merzlikins to extend long-term after next season, so getting maximum value for one of them while their value is still high as a buying team will get them for 2+ playoff runs would be smart.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Lebrun never mentioned Elvis ED exempt. I’m sure his opinion would’ve changed.

I would pursue a goalie like Raanta or Kuemper. Both have had injuries but when they’re on they’re on.
Actually he explicitly stated that in the article:

upload_2021-3-29_15-32-5.png

Reactions: Hornstar and Fro

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Actually he explicitly stated that in the article:

View attachment 414204
My mistake for not reading one paragraph further. And if you’re not going to quote the whole thing, then why bother? Him being reminded about the ED rules changed his opinion, saying to trade Korpisalo over Elvis.

Oh yeah I bet Pierre Lebrun doesn’t know Expansion rules. You should email him and educate him.

Lebrun’s not speculating. He said both goalies are available and have been available. Expansion rules aside Pierre Lebrun doesn’t say things like that if it isn’t true.

Okay, so it still stands. Pay up. Elvis costs more for expansion purposes, and if Korpisalo is traded they’ll ask for a goalie back first out of due diligence. They’d probably want a keeper goalie elsewhere. Think about their needs too.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
My mistake for not reading one paragraph further. And if you’re not going to quote the whole thing, then why bother? Him being reminded about the ED rules changed his opinion, saying to trade Korpisalo over Elvis.

Okay, so it still stands. Pay up. Elvis costs more for expansion purposes, and if Korpisalo is traded they’ll ask for a goalie back first out of due diligence. They’d probably want a keeper goalie elsewhere. Think about their needs too.
I didn't quote the whole thing because the article is behind a paywall and I don't want to risk copyright infringement for myself on this board or for Hfboards. I thought that would be obvious.

If Korpisalo is traded it's pretty certain that Columbus wouldn't want a goalie as the main part of the return. Merzlikins has had issues with playing in a tandem and would prefer to have the starting role outright. Not to mention that Columbus have a decent backup prospect in Kivlenieks, along with Tarasov who is a very good goalie prospect too.

Reactions: JKinCLE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad