Speculation: Meeting with Lecavalier

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Elliotte Friedman reporting that Lecavalier is meeting with the Flames (and Detroit) tomorrow.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 43m

Check that: hearing Lecavalier will meet with Detroit and Calgary tomorrow. Two meetings, not one.

earlier tweets:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 27 Jun

So far, he's been asked about Canadiens (he will listen if they call) and Red Wings (he would consider it)...does say he wants longer term

I think Lecavalier just said (in French) he is open to everything and doesn't have a list of teams

Lecavalier: "It's a tough day, but I'm so motivated...to go somewhere else and prove I can still play at a high level."

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
No.. He is at the end of the road. His best days are behind him. Not the player we need in rebuild mode

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I wouldn't mind him here, but why would you meet with him on draft day?
Priorities should be placed elsewhere tomorrow.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I wouldn't mind a strong veteran leader in the who has won a cup. It would be great for the young guys!

4yrs @ 6million is the max I would give.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Vinny would be a great guy to have around.. Time for new leadership, not sure if he'll want to come though, but I'd love to see him in a flaming C

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
I would offer him a 5-year deal if the average salary is around $5M with higher base salaries in the first couple of years. Lecavalier is still a very good player. He's not a franchise guy, but he's a very good #2 centre and a fringe #1.

If the Flames can land him and Seguin, the rebuild/re-tool would be off to a fast start. Then add a Clarkson or Horton in FA.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

He is in NYR and the draft is in NJ so it isn't hard to meet with him. Also I think it would be Conroy and Hartley meeting with him leaving Feaster and Weisbrod to handle the draft (lets be honest as long as Weisbrod is there our "management" is there). Also the draft starts at 3 in the afternoon it wouldn't be hard to meet with him around 10-11 and make it back well before the draft.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Feaster has made it very clear the draft is the day for his scouting department. They have their ducks in a row and ready to go so Feaster, Weisbrod, Conroy and maybe Goulet will have an hour to spare to try and sell Vinny on the direction of the Flames.

I actually hope If we miss on Vinny that it increases our chances of getting Filpula.
What is this obsession people have with Filppula? I just don't see it. He is a 3rd liner who has only exceeded 40 points once in his career.

His 66 point season is a mere blip on the radar.

What I absolutely love is that Matt Stajan had a better year (and quite frankly has had a better career statistically) than Filppula and people who are willing to move Stajan are willing to give Flip more money than Stajan ever saw. :laugh:

Flip is not a good signing.

Lecavalier on the other hand? He is a good signing. With Iggy gone he could immediately step in as the leader of this franchise. If he stays healthy he should see 65+ points, possibly more in an offensive system.

If we could add Vinnie AND Seguin? That would be amazing.

mdexm

Apr 2, 2013
I would offer him a high paying (7m+) 1 year deal with the selling point being a great opportunity to have undisputed 1st line minutes and prove he's still got it. Worst case is he blows it and can walk next UFA season. Either way we bring our cap up, get a solid piece for our 1st line and aren't committed to anything unreasonable during the rebuild. The short term means if we draft a stud center this or next year there won't be an old balls 7m/year for 5 years star on the 1st line impeding their path to the top line.

It's moot anyway, Lecav would never go for it.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Sign Horton, Lecavalier. Trade for Seguin.

Cammalleri - Lecavalier - Horton
Bärtschi - Seguin - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak

Not sure if the cap works but looks like a decent top nine.

Dare to dream Arnold. Dare to dream...

With Kipper retiring, the Flames have $24M in cap space, so it's entirely possible that the team can sign Lecavalier and Horton and acquire Seguin. The team probably would still have $6M in cap space with their acquisitions.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Wow I love that team.

Jones might take Stempniak's spot on the 3rd line but still that looks amazing, so it won't happen.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Feaster has made it very clear the draft is the day for his scouting department. They have their ducks in a row and ready to go so Feaster, Weisbrod, Conroy and maybe Goulet will have an hour to spare to try and sell Vinny on the direction of the Flames.

What is this obsession people have with Filppula? I just don't see it. He is a 3rd liner who has only exceeded 40 points once in his career.

His 66 point season is a mere blip on the radar.

What I absolutely love is that Matt Stajan had a better year (and quite frankly has had a better career statistically) than Filppula and people who are willing to move Stajan are willing to give Flip more money than Stajan ever saw. :laugh:

Flip is not a good signing.

Lecavalier on the other hand? He is a good signing. With Iggy gone he could immediately step in as the leader of this franchise. If he stays healthy he should see 65+ points, possibly more in an offensive system.

If we could add Vinnie AND Seguin? That would be amazing.

I've always liked Flip (I should be able to spell his name properly then :laugh: ). I like the way he plays and his all around game, I like how he's been coached, I like the team and tradition he comes from. Most players would be 3rd liners playing behind Datsyuk and Zetterberg. If we can't find anyone better, I hope Hudler calls this guy up and and asks his buddy to come and play here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've always liked Flip (I should be able to spell his name properly then :laugh: ). I like the way he plays and his all around game, I like how he's been coached, I like the team and tradition he comes from. Most players would be 3rd liners playing behind Datsyuk and Zetterberg. If we can't find anyone better, I hope Hudler calls this guy up and and asks his buddy to come and play here.
He would be a last resort for me because I really don't think he is any better than what we have and free agents more often than not cost term and dollars and I wouldn't want to give him much of either. 2 years @ 3.5 per tops.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He would be a last resort for me because I really don't think he is any better than what we have and free agents more often than not cost term and dollars and I wouldn't want to give him much of either. 2 years @ 3.5 per tops.

I agree with this, he doesn't play center much and doesn't produce a lot on his own. With many players in UFA that I think have his set of skills or better I don't want him.

I would prefer getting a guy like Stalberg or Bickell if we want to get a player who needs skill around him to succeed at least they can do other things when they aren't scoring.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011

I share your dream, but where's Backs?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree with this, he doesn't play center much and doesn't produce a lot on his own. With many players in UFA that I think have his set of skills or better I don't want him.

I would prefer getting a guy like Stalberg or Bickell if we want to get a player who needs skill around him to succeed at least they can do other things when they aren't scoring.
I might not agree on those players per se, but I do want tougher harder to play against players. we have enough softer finesse guys at the moment. We already have Bart, Backs and Huds as softer forwards and then Staj, Cammy, Stempy. Or only "tougher" forwards right now are Glencross, Jones and Knight and they still IMO aren't a the level of toughness we need.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00