Meeting Day Thread 6/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I find this to be an interesting contrast:

Bob McKenzie, one of the most respected hockey journalists and insiders in the business who candidly acknowledges that he has no inside track as to when or how this thing is going to get done, vs...

The anonymous blogger whose name shall not be mentioned, but who claims to have all this inside scoop and who has firmly but inaccurately predicted an end to this thing about dozen times already.

Lanny MacDonald*

BobMckenzie said:
Wanna bet on that? Take this for what it's worth. We are many days, if not a week or two or more from a new CBA. It's all going in the right direction, but there are still some challenges and work to be done. It's not done until it's all done and if I were you guys I would chill with the minute by minute expecation that it's all done. A lot of people are going to say, oh, it's done but it's just the lawyers going over the language. I disagree. Certainly, there's reason for optimism but it is, IMO, way out of hand right now and everyone seems to be expecting an announcement in very short order. If so, I would say you're going to be disappointed. I would be shocked if there's not a deal this month sometime, but that's as far as I would go right now.

:teach:

Great comments Bob. Until a positive vote result is in and the ink is dry from the last signature this thing can still go sideways. The under-current that flows through the NHLPA could still play a big part in this soap opera. Until that NHLPA vote takes place and a majority comes out in favor of the agreement all this work could be for naught. The champagne is still in the crate. Heck, no hats and shirts have even be printed as nothing is close to being decided. Patience is what is needed, and if that don't work, hit the golf course for the next week so your nerves don't end up shot.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
BobMckenzie said:
Wanna bet on that? Take this for what it's worth. We are many days, if not a week or two or more from a new CBA. It's all going in the right direction, but there are still some challenges and work to be done. It's not done until it's all done and if I were you guys I would chill with the minute by minute expecation that it's all done. A lot of people are going to say, oh, it's done but it's just the lawyers going over the language. I disagree. Certainly, there's reason for optimism but it is, IMO, way out of hand right now and everyone seems to be expecting an announcement in very short order. If so, I would say you're going to be disappointed. I would be shocked if there's not a deal this month sometime, but that's as far as I would go right now.

:teach:

Thanks for the update, Bob! Keep 'em coming! :clap:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think the only thing that needs to be said is this....A new CBA is supposedly coming within hours or is all but done yet Bob MacKenzie has time to visit and post on a message board. hmm....

I assume that Bobby Mac would have better things to do than post here if they were "close" to anything.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
tantalum said:
I think the only thing that needs to be said is this....A new CBA is supposedly coming within hours or is all but done yet Bob MacKenzie has time to visit and post on a message board. hmmm......
Bob is a semi regular here. He tries to dispell misinformation, and provide reasonable insights that aren't gained elsewhere.

He is likely the most trustworthy voice in the media, and for the thousandth time, yes it is him, the site admin have confirmed his account as legit....(Along with that Gord Miller guy that doesn't post near often enough.)

Next subject.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
slats432 said:
Bob is a semi regular here. He tries to dispell misinformation, and provide reasonable insights that aren't gained elsewhere.

He is likely the most trustworthy voice in the media, and for the thousandth time, yes it is him, the site admin have confirmed his account as legit....(Along with that Gord Miller guy that doesn't post near often enough.)

Next subject.

Umm....I know it's him. Which is my point. If there was something close I think he'd be on the phones talking to contacts, going to the TSN studio to get ready to give an update with the rest of the panel. He probably wouldn't have a lot of down time to post a few remarks on this board. Could be wrong, only Bob MacKenzie can answer that but it would be my guess that during a busy buzz day or impending newsworthy event he would be busy doing other things.

edit: Besides he told us exactly that I realise. It was more of a comment to underline the information he provided that nothing is imminent as people are still way too excited and expecting something to happen.

Last edited:

NYIsles1*

Larionov said:
I find this to be an interesting contrast:

Bob McKenzie, one of the most respected hockey journalists and insiders in the business who candidly acknowledges that he has no inside track as to when or how this thing is going to get done, vs...

The anonymous blogger whose name shall not be mentioned, but who claims to have all this inside scoop and who has firmly but inaccurately predicted an end to this thing about dozen times already.
It's been a sad show by so many in the media and really showed the weaknesses in the general hockey media. Conflicting reports by so many, sources upon sources of confirmed rumors simply incorrect when all is said and done. Bias by some in the media for one side or the other that was not objective or open-minded or reflective of what was going on. Writers banned from the NHL site, lawsuits. Writers only interested in what's best for their local team or who are employed by owners.

It's been a sad show. Hockey deserved better.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't know what to think about this. I've thought they were going to get something done in the past, and gotten worked up, only to be upset when it wasn't.

So, at this point in time, I'll wait and see it when I see it.

Though if it is done in a few weeks, that'll be what? 2-3 months tops till I get to see Ovechkin in training camp?!?!? And finally buy that jersey I've been wanting, but have been to afraid to pony up for.

Ahhhh... something to look forward to.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
tantalum said:
Umm....I know it's him. Which is my point. If there was something close I think he'd be on the phones talking to contacts, going to the TSN studio to get ready to give an update with the rest of the panel. He probably wouldn't have a lot of down time to post a few remarks on this board. Could be wrong, only Bob MacKenzie can answer that but it would be my guess that during a busy buzz day or impending newsworthy event he would be busy doing other things.

edit: Besides he told us exactly that I realise. It was more of a comment to underline the information he provided that nothing is imminent as people are still way too excited and expecting something to happen.

yeah and that make-up doesn't apply itself!!!!

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
So, I can see how the conversation this evening between Gary Bettman and I will go....it'll probably make the head lines somewhere...maybe it'll even show up on TSN...hey, ya never know:

'What do you mean the CBA isn't done, Gary? Bob TOLD me it would be a done deal by the end of the day.'

"What do you mean he TOLD you it would be completed by the end of the day? He's been with ME all damn day, I never let him outta my sight. Not Once."

'Not that Bob, you dummy - THE BOB! Duuuuuhh!'

:sarcasm:

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Gibson

Gibson also stated that Philadelphia won the 1995 conference final against New Jersey when that was the year that the Devils won the Stanley Cup... (first of three)

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
nikeisevil said:

Really? Wouldn't time passing simply accomplish that? They are simply stating the obvious. Great reporting.

Man, tough crowd on these boards. All I'm saying is that they might be closer than everyone thinks they are . . . typical labor negotiations.

:madfire:

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
DevilsFan said:
Man, tough crowd on these boards. All I'm saying is that they might be closer than everyone thinks they are . . . typical labor negotiations.

All we're saying is that Toronto 640 has been doing this for months. "News from the NHL talks", and then some generic line, at best non-informative or at misleading and blatantly false, finishing with "keep it here for all the updates". This "headline" is repeated every 20 minutes, and thousands of desperate fans stay tuned in or logged on hoping for new news which doesn't come.

It's called hooking listeners. I know because I've spent too many afternoons myself awaiting their "news". But no more.

Seat16inNJ

w

scaredsensfan said:
Gibson also stated that Philadelphia won the 1995 conference final against New Jersey when that was the year that the Devils won the Stanley Cup... (first of three)

I was trying to figure out if he was being serious or not when
he said Philadelphia....

ahhh Flashback turning point of the series: Game 5 in Philly
Claude Lemiuex flies just over the blue line with 56 seconds left
game tied.... rips a slap shot from the blue line past hextalls far
leg pad to take a 1 goal lead .... Philly crowd in stunned silence...

Game 6 .. Philly had no chance.. NJ wins series 4 to 2

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Seat16inNJ said:
I was trying to figure out if he was being serious or not when
he said Philadelphia....

ahhh Flashback turning point of the series: Game 5 in Philly
Claude Lemiuex flies just over the blue line with 56 seconds left
game tied.... rips a slap shot from the blue line past hextalls far
leg pad to take a 1 goal lead .... Philly crowd in stunned silence...

Game 6 .. Philly had no chance.. NJ wins series 4 to 2

Thanks for the reminder, When old Claude scored that goal I was sitting in my chair motionless, In Philly we always seem to let that 1 soft one in, Brutal !

Comrie_fan

Nov 25, 2002
Qc
Visit site
Evrerybody is betting on the date of the player and the owner will have an arrangement. Make some chalenge to the bet. The winner will have a lunch with Bob and Gary and he will pay the lunch... :biglaugh:

Joke...

Have a nice day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad