"Mean" Gene Okerlund passes away

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I've heard he was a big time alcoholic. So much that burned through two, possibly three kidneys.

Yet he was always able to seemingly hold it together. RIP to a legend

Well I read the cause of death was overall natural causes, but he had 3 kidney transplants then later on tripped and fell, leading him to no be able to recover. Didn't hear about alcoholism, but thats a lot of transplants. I mean its wrestling as a line of work, so it wouldnt be shocking I suppose.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well I read the cause of death was overall natural causes, but he had 3 kidney transplants then later on tripped and fell, leading him to no be able to recover. Didn't hear about alcoholism, but thats a lot of transplants. I mean its wrestling as a line of work, so it wouldnt be shocking I suppose.

Well he wasn't a wrestler though, was he?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Today’s interviewers really can’t hold a candle to Mean Gene. Just the way he reacts, eggs the wrestlers on.

It helps make the interview segment so much better because he is so engaged. He isn’t asking basic questions then staring off into space afterward.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
As to some of the conversation, it is known that Gene was a heavy drinker. I love picturing him maintaining composure while getting completely sloshed with Kevin Nash in this story that NASH shares.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
As to some of the conversation, it is known that Gene was a heavy drinker. I love picturing him maintaining composure while getting completely sloshed with Kevin Nash in this story that NASH shares.

Anecdote from the comments in that video:

Some 30 years ago when WWF used to tape their "A" TV show every three weeks at Mid Hudson Civic Center one of the fellow regulars I knew ran into Mean Gene after the tapings at a watering hole across the main drag from Marist College. After holding court until Gene decided he'd had his fill my friend offered to buy him one more for the road. To which Gene jovially gave one of the best deadpan responses of all time while never missing a beat: "Pal, I need another drink like a pig needs a wrist watch."

That is too good. :laugh:

Reactions: koyvoo

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Today’s interviewers really can’t hold a candle to Mean Gene. Just the way he reacts, eggs the wrestlers on.

It helps make the interview segment so much better because he is so engaged. He isn’t asking basic questions then staring off into space afterward.
All their interviewers are robotic as hell now. Literally the only one I remember showing any personality was Tom Phillips, and ONLY when he was interviewing Chris Jericho.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Interviewers today can't engage at all because it might take the wrestlers off script.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tom was pretty good at it, at least with Jericho and Kevin Owens. He was a good straight man for them and bantered well.

The rest are really stilled, but they also have zero natural charmisa.

Gene had all the charmisa on top of the voice and mannerisms to be a sideline reporter. He was made for it. Though even a guy like Sean Mooney had a B level sideline reporter quality to him.

Most of folks they have now seem like they were plucked out of no where just because they have a good looking face. They have no talent outside of maybe Renee.

Oct 18, 2011
Tom was pretty good at it, at least with Jericho and Kevin Owens. He was a good straight man for them and bantered well.

Gene had all the charmisa on top of the voice and mannerisms to be a sideline reporter. He was made for it. Though even a guy like Sean Mooney had a B level sideline reporter quality to him.

Most of folks they have now seem like they were plucked out of no where just because they have a good looking face. They have no talent outside of maybe Renee.
Coach was good with Austin and Rock but Gene really made the show feel important. He really helped get Hogan over as a heel too

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I'm not sure when this was filmed but if you pay attention to Gene's ankles and calves, you'll notice the left one looks very swollen. Gives you an indication of his health status.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Absolutely.

I always thought the magic of Mean Gene was that in an era where cartoonish, over-the-top characters were the norm, and kayfabe wasn't broken, he still made those guys come across as legitimate competitors in a legitimate sport. He was just so smooth, so professional, without being robotic at all. And could banter with both heels and faces equally but never over-the-top where you could see through the charade.

If he hadn't been in the pro wrestling business, he easily would of made it as a sideline reporter for a major sports league, and probably would of been a legend at that if he had chosen that route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad