Series Talk: MDSF: (3) Penguins vs. (2) Islanders - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I just can't accept that this coaching staff thinks the roster is fine the way it is for Game 2 as well. They're unwilling to put the right guys together to win, dress the right guys to take advantage of what we have, and so forth.

It's just nuts to me. There's a very vocal group and in numbers, that saw what we saw. Yet some how, it's like that entire coaching staff saw an entirely ****ing different game.

And if we win tomorrow what happens?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Listen, I hated the JJ signing and tried to be positive about it, then was overwhelmingly negative af about it because his play justified and warranted that response. He was terrible with virtually everyone except Schultz before he got hurt and that was because Justin Schultz was doing lords work carrying his ass. Then we got Pettersson and both did well together for a stretch, but when we got Gudbranson, JJ really started to turn his game around and was less of a nightmare, still a brutal defensemen at times, but his game started to simplify and he stopped making the mistakes that drove us nuts, on a frequent basis.

His bad **** got inconsistent - which was good.

But the weirdest thing is to go from using him all season, literally all ****ing season, and then inserting a slower moving defenseman that has been exploited for his decision making skills in his own end, lack of foot speed, and untimely pinches against an Islanders team that preys on that kind of player. It's like someone sent Sullivan a prank scouting report on Olli Maatta while ignoring everything he's seen and decided he was the right choice.

He wasn’t good though. Murray was.

He little canablized every positive of Schultz’s game. Notice how Schultz looked great and Pettersson looked great as soon as they shedded JJ. Olli is bad individual, but he isn’t a paperweight to his pairing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And if we lose again tomorrow, what happens?

Chances are, Trotz failed to take advantage of the last change and exploit the **** out of Olli Maatta on the ice and Sullivan's horrible line juggling.

JJ is probably back in? And you all can blame the series loss on Mike Sullivan’s “horrible line juggling” while demanding only a moron would not juggle the lines.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Jesus. It's like we drained all the logic out of the tank and we're just running this ship on empty come playoff time, huh?

This place is nuts. It's like the antithesis of reddit and facebook where everything is brainlessly optimistic, whereas this place is brainlessly pessimistic.

I absolutely love it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JJ is probably back in? And you all can blame the series loss on Mike Sullivan’s “horrible line juggling” while demanding only a moron would not juggle the lines.
Only a moron would put players that haven't worked consistently, back together. While keeping the ones that have worked well together, away from those players because - from what we can gather - the players don't want to play with each other.

Which begs the question, do those f***s even deserve to win with that kind of attitude? Is that kind of mentality you want from your players that are supposedly willing to do anything to win the cup?

I, often times, work with people I don't like, but when we work together, we f***ing kill it with our production. Working away from each other doesn't net the same result, but we do it because it works.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

So we should go down 0-2 to really prove Olli Maatta shouldn't be in the line-up.

Sounds like a logical decision, mate.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Only a moron would put players that haven't worked consistently, back together. While keeping the ones that have worked well together, away from those players because - from what we can gather - the players don't want to play with each other.

Which begs the question, do those ****s even deserve to win with that kind of attitude? Is that kind of mentality you want from your players that are supposedly willing to do anything to win the cup?

I, often times, work with people I don't like, but when we work together, we ****ing kill it with our production. Working away from each other doesn't net the same result, but we do it because it works.

Jack Johnson and Justin Schultz have not worked together.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jack Johnson and Justin Schultz have not worked together.

There were stats that showed Johnson was less ass with Schultz, in that context, yes they worked together.

Whereas, those same stats showed literally everyone was horrendous with Olli Maatta (and Jack Johnson for the most part, just a few bright spots with certain guys for JJ).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He still was statistically worse than Olli Maatta.
I'm not understanding your hatred here.

On one hand, you absolutely hate JJ.

Olli Maatta is actually f***ing worse, but you're some how defending one turd for another turd. If this team didn't royally f*** around Riikola, we might have a 3rd option that means we see neither of those idiots in the line-up at all.

But then that means admitting our coaching staff is f***ing stupid with things like that, god forbid that happens.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

IMG_1692.jpg

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I just can't accept that this coaching staff thinks the roster is fine the way it is for Game 2 as well. They're unwilling to put the right guys together to win, dress the right guys to take advantage of what we have, and so forth.

It's just nuts to me. There's a very vocal group and in numbers, that saw what we saw. Yet some how, it's like that entire coaching staff saw an entirely ****ing different game.
It's called groupthink. The discussions on this board would be much different if everyone had taken a month off from this board, then suddenly posted their thoughts.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol..."Unlucky" is a statistic.

Well I'm sold.

We still in this in 6. But we're likely doing it after going down 0-2.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not understanding your hatred here.

On one hand, you absolutely hate JJ.

Olli Maatta is actually ****ing worse, but you're some how defending one turd for another turd. If this team didn't royally **** around Riikola, we might have a 3rd option that means we see neither of those idiots in the line-up at all.

But then that means admitting our coaching staff is ****ing stupid with things like that, god forbid that happens.

Olli Maatta was as bad as JJ has been the majority of this season last night statistically.

Reactions: Icarium

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I wonder if Sully gets on the hot seat if we flame out in this first round?? Or how much dead weight we will shed this summer

I suspect it would take another season after this of playoff and/or regular season struggles before he got on the hot seat, but I don't have any sources or anything.

Look at how long it took Chicago to move on from Quenneville.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I am not a fan of JJ but he is a level above OM. I genuinely think that Olli Maatta is one of the worst defencemen in the league.
I think that varies from game to game. Both have their frailties and shortcomings. But I'll say this without hesitation. I'm not clamoring for JJ to play. He could sink our ship just as easily as OM can.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Apr 9, 2009
USA
At the end of the season, JJ was better than Maatta. I don't know how this is even a debate. Maatta wasn't the only reason the Pens lost last night, but he struggled at everything and was definitely part of the problem. The team looks better without him. **** all the statistics other than the record. The team is better when Maatta doesn't play this season.

EDIT: For context, I've been a Maatta defender the majority of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad