SinBin: McPhee talks to the media about Vadim Shipachyov, says it is not a performance based decision.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
This couldn't be a dumber situation. I don't understand how McPhee thinks this is Ok.

The owner said they wanted to win right away, and promised a competitive team. This is going 100% against that promise. Fans should chant "we want Shipachyov" at the first home game.

Reactions: Morrison

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Wouldn't he be better off actually playing some AHL games and adjusting to North American hockey rather than hanging out in Vegas until the situation is resolved?

GMGM :huh:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Wouldn't he be better off actually playing some AHL games and adjusting to North American hockey rather than hanging out in Vegas until the situation is resolved?

I don't see what a 30-year-old KHL All-Star would gain by playing AHL hockey. He has nothing to prove on that level.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
If it's not a performance based decision then that's even worse because it means he's keeping him out (and possibly Theodore as well) in order to 'asset manage' a group of players who are optimistically worth a 4th round pick at most. Ffs own up to your mistake and waive someone.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's good that holding onto weak assets to hold out for marginal returns is more important to him than having one of his best players on the roster for the historic home opener.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I'm getting annoyed by the situation, not because of what he's doing, but because everyone is freaking out about it.

Give me all the picks.

Same here. The problem is that there's SO many fans around the league who were using this new expansion team as an opportunity to play "armchair GM" using CapFriendly, etc. and now they're upset that McPhee didn't build our team the way they would have done it, rather than simply paying us no attention and focusing on their own team.

These things take time, and people are just too impatient. I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride. Honestly, I'm not going to begin judging McPhee until the day of the trade deadline - it's fruitless to do otherwise, considering how our roster is so disjointed from the expansion draft.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd rather have marginal return than nothing. Tonight would be special if we threw an AHL team on the ice.

I'm getting annoyed by the situation, not because of what he's doing, but because everyone is freaking out about it.

Give me all the picks.

I'm not freaking out. It's just annoying. What is Reinhart gonna land us really?

I know we're a young team without a lot of organizational depth but teams shouldn't play this wait and see game ever at least when it comes to the expense of your talented players so that you MIGHT get a 6th or 7th round draft pick or likely to bust prospect for your fringe assets.

Tuch and Theodore could be getting much better development in the NHL. Shipachyov still needs the time to adapt to North American style of play at a full NHL pace and instead he's riding the practice facility line. It's more than just the idea that we don't want to be competitive. Being in the NHL and adapting to its changes is a valuable developmental asset that is being thrown away because we want to make sure to get SOMETHING is a detriment and waste of time in my opinion.

The truth is when you trade fringe assets for even marginal returns, those returns generally never amount to anything useful. For every crap asset traded off for a dark horse riser like Pat Maroon there's a hundred other guys that never rise up from out of the AHL or ECHL. This team already has plenty of draft picks. It can get by without the late round picks and bustbound prospects.

EDIT: I'd like to point to my own team's experience. In the wake of Anaheim's roster crumbling after the all in approach Brian Burke took, Jonas Hiller was playing his way onto the team and was either going to push out Giguere or Bryzgalov. Because Burke pawned off a lot of organizational depth to get a team that could win once, Anaheim was in a position where they needed all the assets and potential they could get. But they needed to ditch a goalie. Brzygalov had a lot of value because he was entering the best hockey of his career, but no teams were willing to bail out Murray (or Burke...whoever it happened to be at the time, I forget). So what did our GM do? He waived Bryzgalov and a starting quality goalie left the Ducks for free. We really can't fathom a scenario where we do the same with our fringe players? I know we're no threat to compete as a playoff team this year, so I'm not freaking out, but for the future, our best players should be getting NHL time.

Last edited:

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Other than fantasy players *****ing, having him sit is of little consequence so early in the season. Would he improve your O so Neal wouldn't have to burden the scoring on his own? No doubt, but if McPhee is waiting for the right price on his 3 extra D to free up slots, then that's his perogative.

On the other hand, I don't believe he'll get very much for those guys in the end, so waiting does really nothing but frustrate the players and fans who pay to see them. Waive them, or trade them already for any picks; Theo and Ship deserve more.

Last edited by a moderator:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
All we need is a little bit of perspective.

McPhee is pot committed on the D situation, he's got to get something at this point. He might also be afraid of losing a star, because somehow we didn't manage to pick a Dman that nobody sees any upside in. Everyone just "needs a shot." Either way, we're a week in and that's a little early to just give up on getting something for one of these guys, IMO. If I'm being completely honest, I wish he'd have just picked a few bums out of the expansion draft like we all expected him to. However, trying to capitalize on every single opportunity given is not a negative thing.

Right now the only thing I'm worried about is team morale, and we've got some outside influences working to keep that up.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'd rather have marginal return than nothing. Tonight would be special if we threw an AHL team on the ice.

Same here. The problem is that there's SO many fans around the league who were using this new expansion team as an opportunity to play "armchair GM" using CapFriendly, etc. and now they're upset that McPhee didn't build our team the way they would have done it, rather than simply paying us no attention and focusing on their own team.

These things take time, and people are just too impatient. I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride. Honestly, I'm not going to begin judging McPhee until the day of the trade deadline - it's fruitless to do otherwise, considering how our roster is so disjointed from the expansion draft.

It is frustrating. I know McPhee wasn't the perfect GM in Washington and left on as bad of a note as you can, but that doesn't mean every single deal he makes is putrid.

Remember the Subban and Pickard deal, people freaked out when we picked up Subban saying it didn't make sense because we already had Pickard, then we waived Pickard and people freaked out saying he could have been moved for a 1st or 2nd and that he'd easily be picked off waivers. After we traded him people freaked out because we only got a prospect and a 6th.

In reality we probably liked Subban from the get go and Pickard was the only thing off Colorado's roster that looked good and we managed to get assets for him. Essentially the deal looked like Pickard for Subban, Lindberg and a 6th.
It seemed confusing to everybody in the beginning of the ordeal because
the whole thing would play out in three days, but in the end it was pretty smart picking up Subban even though people were freaking out, because we knew someone would pay for Pickard, even if it wasn't much.
People forget that this is an expansion team that started out with nothing and still setting up a prospect pipeline, every asset helps us, even the ones that won't ever make the NHL.

I'm going to sound like a 25 year old grandpa, but I'm going to blame social media a little bit on this one. Being the first team born in this era we'll probably have to endure a lot of criticism for every seemingly meaningless deal that other teams didn't have the pleasure of dealing with.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
In reality we probably liked Subban from the get go and Pickard was the only thing off Colorado's roster that looked good and we managed to get assets for him. Essentially the deal looked like Pickard for Subban, Lindberg and a 6th.
It seemed confusing to everybody in the beginning of the ordeal because the whole thing would play out in three days, but in the end it was pretty smart picking up Subban even though people were freaking out, because we knew someone would pay for Pickard, even if it wasn't much.
People forget that this is an expansion team that started out with nothing and still setting up a prospect pipeline, every asset helps us, even the ones that won't ever make the NHL.

The bolded can't be stressed enough, and the Subban deal is a great example. We maximized our assets there, but you couldn't see the full scope until it was all done. Now, extrapolate that out to an entire season, and that's what we're dealing with. The complaints are always short-term ("development" time, hurt feelings), while we are clearly a long-term franchise. It might be pie-in-the-sky for me to think this way - heads up, HFVegas, that's the way I am ALWAYS going to be on this site, ever the eternal optimist - but come February 27 this will all be water under the bridge. When our roster that night has Shippy, Theo, Tuch, Hyka in place of Neal, Perron, Sbisa, Garrison, McNabb we'll forget about October. When Theo and Schmidt sign their extensions, we'll forget about any "hurt feelings" that Theo had from playing in the AHL and Schmidt had from going to arbitration. When Dylan Ferguson is developing nicely in the AHL and the 2nd rounder we got for Methot was used in a trade to bring in a solid forward from a team facing cap troubles, we'll praise McPhee for making that deal. We just have to get there, and it's going to take time. It's up to everyone individually to decide how they want to spent the time in the interim - preparing for the future or complaining about the present.

I'm going to sound like a 25 year old grandpa, but I'm going to blame social media a little bit on this one. Being the first team born in this era we'll probably have to endure a lot of criticism for every seemingly meaningless deal that other teams didn't have the pleasure of dealing with.

Oh let's not kid ourselves: complaining is America's favorite pastime, not baseball. I just can't believe how fans of other teams are getting so whipped into a frenzy about every little thing our organization does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad