SinBin: McPhee talks to the media about Vadim Shipachyov, says it is not a performance based decision.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
It's good that holding onto weak assets to hold out for marginal returns is more important to him than having one of his best players on the roster for the historic home opener.

I could disagree more.

Edit: wow, of all the typos to make. Should have said "couldn't"

Last edited:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I find it highly unlikely that any team would claim Brad Hunt if/when waived. Even more so if it had been done at the right time just prior to the start of the season when every team had to cut players.

Reactions: derriko

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I find it highly unlikely that any team would claim Brad Hunt if/when waived. Even more so if it had been done at the right time just prior to the start of the season when every team had to cut players.

Maybe he has a deal he's working on? We really don't know until he gets back up.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Tuch and Theodore in the AHL is fine, there's nothing wrong with a little overseasoning and top minutes. It's the Ship situation that confounds me.

I see things similarly. I don't like the way the Ship situation is being handled. If it's to bide time to squeeze value from guys nobody has wanted as of yet, that's not a good thing as the return isn't worth the risk of alienating what should be a key piece for us in a longer term window. Now, VGK wasn't the only team interested in him, so maybe there's a trade deal on the table for him and that's pending or GM isn't sure he wants to do it, I don't know. But it's hard to understand the how's and why's this situation looks the way it does.

McPhee already said it wasn’t a performance issue it was a numbers issue

It is definitely a performance issue. If he had performed better in preseason and camp he would be on the roster, they would have made room for him. But again you have to consider the translation to the NA game and that it will take time, so for right now I am of the opinion they should have made room for him. I like McPhee but I think he's playing this wrong.

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
I see things similarly. I don't like the way the Ship situation is being handled. If it's to bide time to squeeze value from guys nobody has wanted as of yet, that's not a good thing as the return isn't worth the risk of alienating what should be a key piece for us in a longer term window. Now, VGK wasn't the only team interested in him, so maybe there's a trade deal on the table for him and that's pending or GM isn't sure he wants to do it, I don't know. But it's hard to understand the how's and why's this situation looks the way it does.

It is definitely a performance issue. If he had performed better in preseason and camp he would be on the roster, they would have made room for him. But again you have to consider the translation to the NA game and that it will take time, so for right now I am of the opinion they should have made room for him. I like McPhee but I think he's playing this wrong.

It is 100% not a performance issue. Otherwise why would he be allowed to leave Chicago Wolves to be in Vegas with his wife... That wouldn't help him "adjust to NA game".

For those who think this is performance based or he looked lost, I cannot disagree with more. He looked fine and yes needs some adjustment to NA ice/game but he has a high hockey IQ and was distributing the puck really well.

The reason why I believe most people have a heard time understanding this situation is because this has never happened in the NHL. It is obviously rare that we see expansion teams join the league and the rules for the teams always change. This is why it seems so hard for people to understand that because he is waiver exempt and the number of players under contract Vegas has, GMGM was forced to send him down. If it wasn't than the team wouldn't be ok with him leaving their AHL team to be with his wife (language barrier situation) in Vegas not playing any games and practices only training by himself.

With that said GMGM has put himself in this poor position with over drafting defensemen with little to no value and now has to either send his #1 C to the minors until a trade is made or risk losing a player for nothing.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
GMGM has put himself in this poor position with over drafting defensemen with little to no value and now has to either send his #1 C to the minors until a trade is made or risk losing a player for nothing.

It wasn't over drafting D.
McPhee upset other teams not allowing them to make side deals and he is paying for it now.
He traded only 6 guys,
TVR, Schlemko, Methot, Emelin, Kruger, Pickard,
but additionally took
Kruger, Subban, Tuch, Theodore, Smith, Hunt, Hyka, Shipachyov and many more.
McPhee just didn't trade enough guys. You can't take and keep more guys than there are spots.
McPhee wanted to use the expansion draft as an auction, which was a great idea, but auctioned only 5 guys. Big Fail. If you treat your customers bad they won't buy from you.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
What the hell is going on? This is no good for anyone. He might be your best player and he's not playing because....you need 9 defensemen???? McPhee should be fired already hahahaha.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
It is 100% not a performance issue. Otherwise why would he be allowed to leave Chicago Wolves to be in Vegas with his wife... That wouldn't help him "adjust to NA game".

For those who think this is performance based or he looked lost, I cannot disagree with more. He looked fine and yes needs some adjustment to NA ice/game but he has a high hockey IQ and was distributing the puck really well.

Yeah we'll need to agree to disagree here. I simply feel that if he had played better he would have been on the roster. Very sure of that in fact. He's the odd man out because they know he needs some time to adjust.

And this is also part of the reason I think GM is playing this wrong. If it's not a performance issue you're treating a player you signed poorly by holding him off the team while you try to recoup what will be a late round pick at best for whatever low end defender GM is trying to move to make room for him.

Playing with the Wolves isn't going to do much for him. He needs to be in the NHL lineup getting his seasoning in, even if it's on a lower line until he gets comfortable.

Again though I'm fine with disagreeing on it. Not buying what GM is selling here.

Reactions: Gerin

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It isn't performance based? In a way, of course it is.

If Vegas had had blowout losses in its first two games, don't you think Ship would have been in the line-up for the first home game?

I am SURE he would have been!

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
To me the only reason is the waiver exemption, otherwise he would be asked to play AHL. By time he might be asked to play AHL just to stay fit.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
To me the only reason is the waiver exemption, otherwise he would be asked to play AHL. By time he might be asked to play AHL just to stay fit.

and not just him, but Subban can go down eventually for 2 weeks on a conditioning assignment.

I'm not sure if McPhee could get away with sending one of his dmen for conditioning though. It may be seen as circumventing waivers (and it should be seen that way, IMO).

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think we're all looking at this the wrong way. Since almost none of this situation makes any hockey sense, it's probably fair to assume it's not a hockey decision.

I don't think we can ignore that Vadim's family just moved across the globe to a city that speaks a language none of his family is fluent in. They've got no friends here outside of the Vegas Golden Knights. They're alone. That is a huge move, one that very few people would be comfortable with right away. Pretty brutal.

Then, right after they get here, the largest mass shooting in US history happens. I don't know how long they were here prior to camp, but let's say they got here on the 1st of September. A month after you arrive in a foreign land and start to pick your home in this strange city, that happens. 10 people on the team were locked down at the Cosmo for while after they ate dinner as a result of the shooting.

There are people that have lived in Las Vegas their entire lives, people that speak the language, people that know the cops, people that can drive around and not get lost, etc. that were freaked out by what happened and kept their kids out of school. The largest shooting in American history happened a block from T-Mobile Arena two hours after Vadim's new team lost to the Sharks. His wife speaks no English, is likely not super comfortable in a new place and that happens. If she thought she needed to call 9-1-1, would she be able to communicate with the person on the other line? Would you be comfortable if you couldn't?

I don't know if any of this has an impact on anything, but I think it deserves a little thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad