Player Discussion McDavid

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
2 more match-ups against MacKinnon and the Avs as well. If the Oilers can keep Mack in check to 1 point or less and Connor can get multiple points in those games it'll help big time. Hoping for a 4 point or better game against the Ducks tomorrow.
Frequently this year, McDavid will explode against good competition and not have the same statistical success against the weak sisters. Hopefully he pounds the Ducks.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Frequently this year, McDavid will explode against good competition and not have the same statistical success against the weak sisters. Hopefully he pounds the Ducks.
He does have 9 points so far vs the Ducks though. It would be nice for him to have a big game and take the lead.

Of the three player, Tampa has the easiest schedule with Colorado by far having the toughest. Colorado's only really "soft" opponent is Columbus 1, Minnesota 1.

The Oilers soft games are Ducks 1, Arizona 2 SJ 1. They also play Calgary, a team that McDavid tends to feat on.

Tampa plays Columbus 1, Ottawa 1, Buffalo 1 and Montreal 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He does have 9 points so far vs the Ducks though. It would be nice for him to have a big game and take the lead.

Of the three player, Tampa has the easiest schedule with Colorado by far having the toughest. Colorado's only really "soft" opponent is Columbus 1, Minnesota 1.

The Oilers soft games are Ducks 1, Arizona 2 SJ 1. They also play Calgary, a team that McDavid tends to feat on.

Tampa plays Columbus 1, Ottawa 1, Buffalo 1 and Montreal 1.
Interestingly enough, the Avs played a soft team in the Habs a couple games ago, lost, and McKinnon got a solitary point. Last weekend, Tampa played the lowly Ducks and Kuch was shut out in a tight OT win. So, you never know.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Interestingly enough, the Avs played a soft team in the Habs a couple games ago, lost, and McKinnon got a solitary point. Last weekend, Tampa played the lowly Ducks and Kuch was shut out in a tight OT win. So, you never know.
Absolutely true. Especially at this time of year players can look at games like these as opportunities to for an easy night at the office.

There is something about McDavid/Draisaitl and the Ducks though. I think they enjoy taking it too them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Have no idea what that stat is all about.:huh:
Its a weird stat, but its basically the number of times a player has had a 59 game stretch in the same season with 115 points. Gretzky's is so high because you could take many 59 game stretches (many of which partially overlapped each other) in most of his seasons where he scored at least 115 points.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Speaking of the Avs and McKinnon they are first overall for PP's this year with 257.

The Oilers are 25th with 216.

Can you imagine McDavids' point totals with 41 more power plays?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Speaking of the Avs and McKinnon they are first overall for PP's this year with 257.

He probably has 9 to 10 more points.

That said the difference in number of pp opportunities is striking. I honestly think that referees consciously think twice about making calls because of the perception that the Oilers pp gives them some sort of unfair advantage. I don't really have any other explanation since a team like the Oilers should actually be leading the league in pp opportunities most years given how many chances they generate. The Oilers have generated 856 HD chances 5 vs 5. The next highest is the Leafs at 756 and Colorado is third at 743. For total scoring chances they have 1902 with Carolina second at 1822.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Colorado has lead the league in PP opportunities for YEARS now. They should certainly be near the top each year, given their attacking style and speed. But to be at the very top over and over and over again smacks of something else. We are also consistently in the bottom half of the league. Again, this is very clearly due to game management by refs, there is no other explanation.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

It's an absolute joke the way they treat McDavid and provide all sorts of candy to McKinnon to keep him from whining.

Duder54

The Avs leading the league in Powerplays is as predictable as the sun rising in the East and setting in the West...

Colorado has lead the league in PP opportunities for YEARS now. They should certainly be near the top each year, given their attacking style and speed. But to be at the very top over and over and over again smacks of something else. We are also consistently in the bottom half of the league. Again, this is very clearly due to game management by refs, there is no other explanation.
Fun stat: the Avs have lead the NHL in powerplays 6 out of the last 7 seasons (incl. this one).

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
The Avs leading the league in Powerplays is as predictable as the sun rising in the East and setting in the West...

Fun stat: the Avs have lead the NHL in powerplays 6 out of the last 7 seasons (incl. this one).
This is essentially why I hate these guys so much. I respect how good Mack and especially Makar are, but it’s bs how spoiled they are. Doesn’t make sense how the NHL loves them so much either, idk why they’re so special.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Does anyone talk about MacKinnon having the #6 scorer has his 95% of the time linemate like they would talk about McDavid having Drai as his 2nd line C, as a disqualifier for the Hart.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think there's no doubt refs game results across the league in some capacity (game management if you will) but what would the league's reasoning be in specifically helping Colorado over other teams?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Updated Stats
MacKinnon 74gp. 47-80-127 (1.72ppg) 8 games remaining, Since 3/21 (5gp. 5-5-10)
Kucherov 72gp. 42-84-126 (1.75ppg) 9 games remaining, Since 3/21 (5gp. 1-7-8)
McDavid 70gp. 29-96-125 (1.79ppg) 10 games remaining, Since 3/21 (6gp. 3-14-17)

Projected Points at Season's End Based on Their Current Pace:
McDavid 143 points (80gp.)
Kucherov 142 points (81gp.)
MacKinnon 141 points (82gp.)

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He probably has 9 to 10 more points.

That said the difference in number of pp opportunities is striking. I honestly think that referees consciously think twice about making calls because of the perception that the Oilers pp gives them some sort of unfair advantage. I don't really have any other explanation since a team like the Oilers should actually be leading the league in pp opportunities most years given how many chances they generate. The Oilers have generated 856 HD chances 5 vs 5. The next highest is the Leafs at 756 and Colorado is third at 743. For total scoring chances they have 1902 with Carolina second at 1822.
From the PP.

That would also mean players wouldn't be hanging off of him at every opportunity 5 on 5 due to the increased chance of a Penalty. So he might pick up a few more points there.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
I think part of it is that the Avs are fully committed to selling calls, it seems like a bought-in philosophy that they've discussed in the locker room. During that playoff series against them, I was completely blown away by the amount of diving and whining.. and the refs seem to just lap it right up.

I think the Oil see themselves as "above that", they don't try to sell out to get calls. I think they should shift their mindset on that.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
5E844FFC-0AAA-42F0-BC5E-979BDECC0097.jpeg

It’s wild to me how if Mcdavid was drafted in 2003 he would be 5th in scoring from what’s considered the greatest draft ever.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Updated Stats
MacKinnon 75gp. 47-80-127 (1.69ppg) 7games remaining, Since 3/21 (6gp. 5-5-10)
Kucherov 73gp. 42-85-127 (1.74ppg) 8 games remaining, Since 3/21 (6gp. 1-8-9)
McDavid 71gp. 29-97-126 (1.77ppg) 9 games remaining, Since 3/21 (7gp. 3-15-18)

Projected Points at Season's End Based on Their Current Pace:
McDavid 142 points (80gp.)
Kucherov 141 points (81gp.)
MacKinnon 139 points (82gp.)

Reactions: oobga

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad