Pre-Game Talk: McDavid v Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Close once the GDT is up.

Here we go, hopefully the Pens matchup Crosby against McDavid all night. If McDavid wants to be the best, he needs to battle the King.

Other interesting match-ups? Malkin v Drai.

Nurse needs to have a big game. We need him to be a bully and use his skating to inflict his physical presence. We're tougher than the Pens, if Darnell makes it a street fight, the Pens have no answer.

I have as much belief in our team as anyone, but I know the reality. We're underdogs boys (and the odd ladies who are in HFOil-- if you exist). We have no pressure, all the pressure is on the Pens. Nothing to lose with something to prove is a dangerous enemy. Lets go out and fight.

No one thinks we can win, all we have are each other here. Lets go battle and see how we can compete with the best. Can't wait.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers will have to play their best game of the season in order to win. The Pens (especially Crosby) are feeling it right now.

I'd be very satisfied with a point.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Man it will be so cool to see if they put Crosby against McDavid all night. I unfortunately don't think Eberle would be able to match the intensity of those lines...

Maroon-McDavid-Pitlick? I could see Pitlick creating havoc out there and disrupting Crosby.

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
I'd like to see the Oilers come for blood and make a statement game today, knowing they have 2 days to rest after tonight.

Let's go, show us what this new look Oilers is really about.

Huge games from Larsson, Lucic, and Draisaitl (or whatever centre escapes the Malkin, Crosby matchup) I hope.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Is this the first game Jultz will play against the Oilers as well?

Should be fun - I hope McDavid turnstyles him or Letestu pickpockets him on the PK for a breakaway

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Klefbom is still having nightmares from last year.

The Penguins match up really well against the Oilers. They have a big advantage. I would love to be surprised tonight. If they can shut down the speed of the Penguins, I may start getting optimistic. They did a fairly good job against a more offence by committee team in the Rangers.

Any updates on injuries that I missed?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Big test. I think we get wrecked and the boys realize how much further we have to go to be a perennial contender.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Hoping for a win, let alone 1 point would be huge. McD vs. Crosby. Sounds like a match made in hockey heaven. :laugh:

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Nurse needs to have a big game. We need him to be a bully and use his skating to inflict his physical presence. We're tougher than the Pens, if Darnell makes it a street fight, the Pens have no answer.

Interesting point, do we try to keep it a speed game or go more physical?

it's nice that we have the option to do both

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Given that teams have been clogging up the neutral zone I don't think we have a choice. We really haven't been able to generate much speed the last 8 or so games.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Well his speed can intimidate. If Nurse closes the gap and forwards panic, we don't need a kill shot hit. His speed is a form of intimidation.

But in the corners and in front of the net we need the nasty Darnell making life hell on the Pens, key point -- without taking penalties.

No we don't. We don't have any speed demons up front outside of McDavid, Puljujarvi, and Pitlick. RNH might be a borderline consideration.

Pittsburgh has speed four lines in. Aside from Kunitz and Fehr, every single one of their forwards can play the game at high-super high speeds.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I hope Jultz feels the aura of Edmonton again and plays like we have seen for years.

Even if the game isn't in Edmonton. The jerseys should be enough to spark his inner suck.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
No we don't. We don't have any speed demons up front outside of McDavid, Puljujarvi, and Pitlick. RNH might be a borderline consideration.

Pittsburgh has speed four lines in. Aside from Kunitz and Fehr, every single one of their forwards can play the game at high-super high speeds.

The Oilers have to force them to dump the puck in and wear them down physically. Hits, hits, hits.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He'll take the warmups.

Pulju 100% wants to play(I'm sure). It's who he is.

Is this from Finnish media? Thanks for the update BB.

Pulju is becoming a favourite around here. Tough kid who gives full effort every shift.

Charley horse injuries are typically 1-3 weeks recovery.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
He'll take the warmups.

Pulju 100% wants to play(I'm sure). It's who he is.

Doesn't that mean he'll be dressed and in the lineup?

Btw, and this has probably been addressed countless times already, is this the first time McDavid faces Crosby and the Pens?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Is this from Finnish media? Thanks for the update BB.

Pulju is becoming a favourite around here. Tough kid who gives full effort every shift.

Charley horse injuries are typically 1-3 weeks recovery.

Got that from twitter.

I hope he plays, his game has been developing at such a high rate lately and the team could use him with Kassian missing.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Got that from twitter.

I hope he plays, his game has been developing at such a high rate lately and the team could use him with Kassian missing.

Pretty crazy toughness if he comes back tonight. I suppose they're born tough up in Lapland eh? :)

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
With the way Crosby and Mallon are playing I can't see the Pens losing. The boys will need to play their best game of the season (as in all 82 games) to win.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pretty crazy toughness if he comes back tonight. I suppose they're born tough up in Lapland eh? :)

Last year he seemed to play better after he was hit, instead of surgery he flew to help the u18 win gold.
He lives and breaths hockey.

I'm sure when they ask him if he's ready he'll say yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad