McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Overall level of play is open to interpretation and certainly Leaf fans will be biased to that. I do not see another teams fans making threads about Matthews play this season, only Leafs fans, because other teams fans see there are other players they believe are playing as good or better. Leaf fans find Matthews more spectacular then everyone else does.

So which rock are you living under these days?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
....except we had Barry Trotz comparing him to Lemieux yesterday, Roenick on the radio saying he wouldn't be surprised if Matthews ends his career as the highest scoring American ever, and countless other radio/TV personalities who are just marveling at the kid.

But yeah, silly Leaf fans.
and Jagr said McDavid could score 100 goals in a season

hockey people say a lot of silly things

Reactions: I am not exposed

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What categories is Matthews leading the league in? As far as I can see he is not leading anything. I see a bunch of other great star players in the league having seasons as good or better thus far. It has only been 5 or 6 games so far. You expect someone to praise a guys season on 5 or 6 games.
dude, he led the NHL in goals after 1 game last year

oh, and HF boards threads

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Matthews has yet to be better then McDavid so until Matthews is able to be better no way would I take him. Even if Matthews has better point totals for a single season it wouldn't be enough especially considering Maple Leafs have a much better overall forward core then the Oilers do.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He is a great player, but there are many star players having great starts to the season. Maybe if you got up from under the rock you would see that as well.
It’s not about just how he started, it’s about continuation from last year. A power rankings type view... Current level based on most recent track record.

Welcome to HF, though. Your post history makes your agenda here quite clear.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
and Jagr said McDavid could score 100 goals in a season

hockey people say a lot of silly things
Uh right. I said it in the original thread, it's definitely a ridiculous thing to say. But my point was that it isn't just Leaf fans gushing over Matthews.

Couchcaptain

Nov 11, 2016
Lost in the wilderness
Im not even sure anymore that is Matthews any little bit inferior to Mcdavid.. To be honest i can see him easily getting to the same level, or even better than Mcdavid. As outrageous as it might sound.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It’s not about just how he started, it’s about continuation from last year. A power rankings type view... Current level based on most recent track record.

Welcome to HF, though. Your post history makes your agenda here quite clear.
I believe he had a similar start to last season as well. Might not want to jump the gun 6 games in. He has been better then McDavid though this season so far, as has about 30 other guys.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Kamiccolo
It was never about points. Kessel was never better than Bergeron because he out scored him. Matthews being better than Eichel is about more than points. He's stronger, more dominant in cycles, forechecking, away from the puck, around the net, and on faceoffs. His defensive game and compete level are on another level than Eichel.

Eichel can score 95 points, and Matthews can score 85, and that doesn't change anything. He won't get the respect until he does it in the playoffs, and then people will realize he is cut from a different cloth.[/QUOTE]

Just a second I was going to leave this alone because of the small sample size.

If Matthews is WAY BETTER or LIGHT YEARS ahead of EIchel as Leaf Fans have claimed, and is even better offensively, will you still claim this if Eichel out produces Matthews in points per game again?

He has more points then Matthews on a way worse team, offensively. Eichel is the catalyst to Buffalo's offense, TOronto has many other weapons.

Saying Bergeron in your example is a flawed argument because Bergeron is precisely known for his 2 way game and has won 4 Selke's, Matthews hasn't even been thought to of been nominated for one.

Plus, the main point Matthews fanatics have driven home is EIchel has never reached 60 pts despite reaching the mid 50's in both os hif seasons despite being injured for two months in one of them.

SO now Eichel passes Matthews in points and "POINTS" are never what it was about?

Pretty convenient i'd say.[/QUOTE]

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
And then gain it back again next week.

See, someone who is lightyears ahead of EIchel shouldn't be in a point race with him. This whole time I have stated Matthews and EIchel are on the same tier but Leaf fans absolutely can't take it.

They have to have it as Matthews is comparable to McDavid because THAT WAY he is the best player in the game.

THat's why this thread is so popular.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Get over it.

You haven't watched half the Buffalo games this year and you know it.

If Matthews is outscoring Eichel "HE's way better look at his points".

If Eichel outscores Matthews....OH his ACTUAL PLAY DOMINATES.

Seriously. It's UNBELIEVABLE that you think he can't be compared to Eichel and only McDavid.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Get over it.

You haven't watched half the Buffalo games this year and you know it.

If Matthews is outscoring Eichel "HE's way better look at his points".

If Eichel outscores Matthews....OH his ACTUAL PLAY DOMINATES.

Seriously. It's UNBELIEVABLE that you think he can't be compared to Eichel and only McDavid.
I have watched every single Sabres game actually. Sometimes not the whole game but I've definitely watched more than half
Whoever has more points, Matthews has dominated so far and Eichel hasn't. Sorry about it

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
DOn't be sorry. Eichel is going to be competing for the Art Ross this year. He already is. As should Matthews, but agauin this was never about that, this was about how Jack can't be compred to AUston and how Mattheews is only comparable to McDavid and that's why Leaf fans have swarmed this thread making sure the title is bumped oin the main page to let the world know Matthews is outscoring McDavid, Yet EIchel outscores Matthews and it doesen't matter at all BECAUSE HIS ACTUAL PLAY DOMINATES. lol\

Matthews can't lose to Eichel no matter what, ever because he is only comparable to McDavid. (Looks at username) See?

When you realize the last 3 posters have Matthews in there username...this was never going to be a legit conversation.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
DOn't be sorry.

Matthews can't lose to Eichel no matter what, ever because he is only comparable to McDavid. (Looks at username) See?

When you realize the last 3 posters have Matthews in there username...this was never going to be a legit conversation.
he could lose to Eichel if he wasn't playing as well. Hasn't happened yet though

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
DOn't be sorry. Eichel is going to be competing for the Art Ross this year. He already is. As should Matthews, but agauin this was never about that, this was about how Jack can't be compred to AUston and how Mattheews is only comparable to McDavid and that's why Leaf fans have swarmed this thread making sure the title is bumped oin the main page to let the world know Matthews is outscoring McDavid, Yet EIchel outscores Matthews and it doesen't matter at all BECAUSE HIS ACTUAL PLAY DOMINATES. lol\

Auston Matthews has the superpowers of domination. He scored the greatest 69 point season in the history of the league, equivalent to guys who score a 100 points and have won Hart Trophies and Art Ross trophies. Right now his 8 points on a team that is scoring over 4 goals a game and has 7 guys scoring about a point per game is far greater then anyone else who has 8 points or more. If you were a Leafs fan you would see this, but since you are another teams fan and waste your time watching other players, you think they are great players, when in reality, Matthews is better and it is undeniable.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And then gain it back again next week.

See, someone who is lightyears ahead of EIchel shouldn't be in a point race with him. This whole time I have stated Matthews and EIchel are on the same tier but Leaf fans absolutely can't take it.

They have to have it as Matthews is comparable to McDavid because THAT WAY he is the best player in the game.

THat's why this thread is so popular.
Yet, you repeatedly have said Matthews isn't on Eichel's level. Just as much as Leafs fans who have said Matthews is a tier above Eichel.

Matthews's P/60 at 5v5 is 2.19 over the past 2 seasons
Eichel's P/60 at 5v5 is 1.93 over the past 2 seasons

Matthews P1/60 is 1.93 over the past 2 seasons
Eichel's P1/60 is 1.53 over the past 2 seasons

Matthews's P/60 in all situations is 2.98
Eichel's P/60 in all situations is 2.91

Matthews P1/60 in all situations is 2.55
Eichel's P1/60 in all situations 2.25

Matthews despite being a season behind has been the better point producer and better at getting primary points. Eichel has benefitted from his coaches stacking one PP, compared to the Leafs two PP approach (which is better for the team, but not as good for Matthews individual stats). Matthews plays a way more complete game, and its rare to see him moan and give up on plays.

I can see an argument for Eichel being on the same level, but considering you constantly have said Matthews is overrated due to the market he plays in, and Eichel is the better player, you are more likely wrong than the people you claim are wrong who say Matthews is notably better. Eichel's ice time advantage last year wasn't even built on shorthanded time, which is something to monitor now, but he still gets a full minute more a game at 5v5 and a full minute on the PP. Which adds up over time.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Seriously come on Leafs fans. Matthews is not currently better than McDavid, period. I don't see him being better than him in the future either. Moreover, I don't personally see Matthews as being on another level compared to Eichel (I think we can all agree that Eichel and Matthews are on another tier compared to Laine though). I believe Matthews and Eichel are on the same tier, with Matthews being a bit better because of his two-way game and complete package (eye-hand coordination, forechecking, puck protection etc...). Eichel is a more explosive skater, is stronger, and is a better playmaker. With that said if given the opportunity to choose between the two to play for their respective franchise, I think most sensible non-Leafs/Sabres fans would choose Matthews over Eichel. But for Leafs fans to say that Matthews is on another level to Eichel is just factually incorrect.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Auston Matthews has the superpowers of domination. He scored the greatest 69 point season in the history of the league, equivalent to guys who score a 100 points and have won Hart Trophies and Art Ross trophies. Right now his 8 points on a team that is scoring over 4 goals a game and has 7 guys scoring about a point per game is far greater then anyone else who has 8 points or more. If you were a Leafs fan you would see this, but since you are another teams fan and waste your time watching other players, you think they are great players, when in reality, Matthews is better and it is undeniable.
he's also in your head rent free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad