McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's pointless. They know they are down playing him and taking every desperate swipe they can to bring him down. This discussion is not about logic, reason or reality. It's emotional and personal. Integrity left a long time ago.
Says the member of the fan base that believes primary points per 60 is the only important offensive stat...at least in this thread.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
It's pointless. They know they are down playing him and taking every desperate swipe they can to bring him down. This discussion is not about logic, reason or reality. It's emotional and personal. Integrity left a long time ago.

Funny you should say that, because there's really no logical or reasonable way to argue Matthews is equal to or above McDavid.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

You can say that again.

McDavid scored 100 points last year, has now 40 points in 33 games.
He's the best player in the game and in his own tier vs Matthews.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Funny you should say that, because there's really no logical or reasonable way to argue Matthews is equal to or above McDavid.
Hey. They aren't saying they're equal. They're just "closer than people are willing to admit". Whatever that means.

I thought Andrew Cogliano is 10 tiers below McDavid. Turns out he's only nine. I guess we should make a McDavid vs Cogliano thread.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It really was considering Matthews was outscoring McDavid for majority of the time they were both healthy.

No it never was a reasonable comparison. A 20 game stretch should never be used as a comparison. Until Matthews has a season like McDavid did last year they are not on the same tier.
It's ironic that some of the same people arguing small sample size in the Boeser vs Matthews thread were using small sample sizes to say Matthews was as good or better than McDavid.
Wake me up when he wins an Art Ross and Hart.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hey. They aren't saying they're equal. They're just "closer than people are willing to admit". Whatever that means.

I thought Andrew Cogliano is 10 tiers below McDavid. Turns out he's only nine. I guess we should make a McDavid vs Cogliano thread.

It's funny I don't see any of those Matthews > McDavid nonsense posters from the first 40 pages of this thread now.

We said this would be a hilarious bump after 30 or so games. And here we are, it was dumb then and it's dumb now.

McDavid is on a different level altogether.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
No it never was a reasonable comparison. A 20 game stretch should never be used as a comparison. Until Matthews has a season like McDavid did last year they are not on the same tier.
It's ironic that some of the same people arguing small sample size in the Boeser vs Matthews thread were using small sample sizes to say Matthews was as good or better than McDavid.
Wake me up when he wins an Art Ross and Hart.
20 games?

Matthews had 18 points in the first 14 games. He has 8 points in his last 12.

McDavid has 18 points in his last 14 games and Oilers fans aren't even phased by it. We consider it "just warming up". It's been better than what was apparently a disappointing start to the season where he only had 22 points in 19 games. I know Leafs fans love projections so that's a 95 point pace.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
20 games?

Matthews had 18 points in the first 14 games. He has 8 points in his last 12.

McDavid has 18 points in his last 14 games and Oilers fans aren't even phased by it. We consider it "just warming up". It's been better than what was apparently a disappointing start to the season where he only had 22 points in 19 games. I know Leafs fans love projections so that's a 95 point pace.
Yikes! A 14 game sample size is even more ridiculous.

Reactions: Future GOAT

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Yikes! A 14 game sample size is even more ridiculous.
Yeah. McDavid also had 17 points in the first 14 games of last season. He then had 19 points in the next 14 games. He also had 25 points in the final 14 games of last season.

Leafs fans apparently don't realize just how good a generational player can be. It's better than Matthews at his best and it lasts a lot longer than 14 games.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Fun Fact:

In Matthews only season, Eichel out-produced him in Points Per Game.

PER 60 like the Sample SIze wants. 57 pts in 61 GP.

He ALSO has more points this year despite being bashed everywhere and mentioned maybe 1 time for every 300 mentions Auston gets.

MAtthews has played 7 less games this year but that didn't stop LEaf fans from bragging about Matthews "out scoring" Eichel Lasst year when he played a WHOPPING 21 less games,

SO if EICHEL who is doing this on a HORRID Offensive team and making Kane a point per game player, and receives harsh criticism everywhere can be in the same boat (In the least) as Matthews.

Doesen't that unquestionably make MCDAVID better.

No one if in Mcdavid's league but SID.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No offense but I think you just grouped yourself in the "few of our dummies" group. I remember you went quite overboard as well. Anyways, back to topic.. It's McDavid but it's still damn close. These two will have a similar rivalry like Crosby and Ovechkin IMO.
No I don't think I did. I always said Matthews was not as far behind as people thought, but that he was still a worse player. That's not really unreasonable at all.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
A mod should just close this thread, there is nothing more to be said:

1.Leafs fans point out Matthews only season he dealt with rookie linemates and the worst left winger on a 1st line in the NHL (Hyman) and not a great amount of TOI which hampered Matthews 1st year production
2.Oilers fans point out "hardware, he needs to hit 100, who cares about goals?"
3.A random Sabers fan comes to spam his extremely cherry picked post about how Eichel is in the same tier as Matthews (lmao)

That's it....that's all there is to it, nothing more, if you value goals and better 2 way play, you take Matthews. If you value high end speed, amazing (way better) playmaking and game breaking, you take McDavid.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
A mod should just close this thread, there is nothing more to be said:

1.Leafs fans point out Matthews only season he dealt with rookie linemates and the worst left winger on a 1st line in the NHL (Hyman) and not a great amount of TOI which hampered Matthews 1st year production
2.Oilers fans point out "hardware, he needs to hit 100, who cares about goals?"
3.A random Sabers fan comes to spam his extremely cherry picked post about how Eichel is in the same tier as Matthews (lmao)

That's it....that's all there is to it, nothing more, if you value goals and better 2 way play, you take Matthews. If you value high end speed, amazing (way better) playmaking and game breaking, you take McDavid.

that is such a ridiculous weak crutch from matthews supporters. matthews is NOT a better 2-way player. mcdavid had an absolute game saving defensive play at the end of the minnesota game today that hardly got a mention across the media and social media worlds, but if matthews makes that same exact play, sportsnet, tsn and twitter blow up about how it's matthews selke level defense shining through. mcdavids defensive play is criminally underrated and matthews' is horribly overrated.

this 2-way nonsense is just a way for matthews supporters to find something, anything to shoehorn matthews into the same conversation as mcdavid.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Fun Fact:

He ALSO has more points this year despite being bashed everywhere and mentioned maybe 1 time for every 300 mentions Auston gets.

MAtthews has played 7 less games this year but that didn't stop LEaf fans from bragging about Matthews "out scoring" Eichel Lasst year when he played a WHOPPING 21 less games,

SO if EICHEL who is doing this on a HORRID Offensive team and making Kane a point per game player, and receives harsh criticism everywhere can be in the same boat (In the least) as Matthews.

in their first 100 games in the league, Matthews' point totals were closer to McDavid's than Eichel's totals were to Matthews'. Also he's way more complete than Eichel. Sorry but Eichel isn't in the discussion

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Says the member of the fan base that believes primary points per 60 is the only important offensive stat...at least in this thread.

We do? Good story. ROFL, you proved my point nicely. Oh right, I forgot we have a hive mind, just like all Oiler fans have an inferiority complex right?

This is the desperation I was talking about.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Fun Fact:

Back to the good ol lets compare our sophomore to a rookie like it defines them nonsense. Fun stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad