Mcdavid needs a veteran, find him!

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think Roy and Hendricks are solid mentors for him. It would be nice to see Purcell gone and replaced with a vet, Stanley Cup champion winger, maybe Justin Williams. Would be nice to have a more physical guy though

Doesn't Messier have some kind of made up job with the team? Hopefully he can make himself available.

Just as long as Eakins doesn't have a single chat with him...

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Eric Staal isn't happy with the direction Carolina is heading. He's only 30, he would be an ideal guy to centre the 2nd line and break McDavid in on the wing.

Staal would be a great fit, but I don't know how you'd fit him at 8.25 for two years. One of the big three and Purcell/Nikitin seems like a big price.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Shane Doan is extremely loyal and is overpaid for what he provides at this stage, but it's hard to believe he is thrilled with the direction of Arizona at this time, he's about as good of a veteran leader as you could get for the young guys.

The x-factor there is Doan's size and grit on a team that doesn't have a whole lot of it. As a Pens fan, I can't tell you how huge it was to have Gary Roberts kicking ass and taking names when anyone looked at Sid sideways.

Cheapshot artists come out of the woodwork when a phenom's picking their team apart. Of course longtime Oilers fans know this as much as anyone, but it's been awhile. :laugh:

Feb 9, 2013
Well with the assumption of Hall or Pouliot being his linemate we would be looking for a veteran RW. This would also have to have an assumption of Purcell being forced down the line-up or him being traded away/bought-out.

Shane Doan is extremely loyal and is overpaid for what he provides at this stage, but it's hard to believe he is thrilled with the direction of Arizona at this time, he's about as good of a veteran leader as you could get for the young guys.

Marian Hossa is an extremely well rounded two-way player and would be a solid veteran pick-up, although Chicago being scared to death of potential cap recapture penalties will likely make it a non-starter.

Justin Williams is about to hit free agency and plays a complete game, is a good vet and he knows how to elevate his game in key moments, he'd be a good guy for the young guys . I think he is an individual who will prioritize cups over the pay day and for that reason I don't think he would choose us.

Marty St. Louis tends to make everyone around him better and helped in the development of Richards, Lecavalier, and Stamkos; despite his gifts he's a midget on what is already a pretty small team, but maybe he can teach them how to play with heart despite their diminutive size.

The only other one that comes to mind is Jagr who just re-signed in Florida.

Bingo!

I said it with 'our' current group of 1sts, and now I think it is even more important with McDavid. The Oilers need Jagr. Mentoring players is what he does now - along with still being a very good player. Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, Yakupov, they would have all benefited from Jagr. They still would, as they all have a lot of room to grow as players. If the Oilers could somehow get Jagr out of Florida they need to.

Jagr is someone all 'our' young stars can look up to, have respect for, and see a reason to listen to. That being said, I think 'our' current management group (Lowe, MacTavish, etc.) is arrogant enough to believe that they can teach the players anything and everything Jagr can. 'We' do have Messier and Gretzky affiliated with the team, and if they were still playing 'we' wouldn't need Jagr, but they are not.

Jagr would have come here a few years ago... maybe he still would. But then again, does Lowe and Co. want a player around of Jagr's caliber who wasn't a member of the old boys club? He just might call the organization on its 'flaws'.

edit: I want to correct something I wrote: "If [Messier or Gretzky] were still playing 'we' wouldn't need Jagr..." Jagr, it seems, is a good teacher along with being an elite player. Being good at something doesn't mean you can teach it. Even if Messier or Gretzky were still playing, Jagr might still be the better option. What was it Jagr said when asked why players seem to develop on the teams he played for? (Its a rhetorical question - he said that only two players he knows never had to learn the game, Gretzky and Lemeuix. Everyone else had to learn it, himself included. He passes on what he learned... smart man.) How does this fit with my other thread about Iginla or Thornton? Seemingly the same reasoning applies.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2013
It's to bad that Iginla wasn't a UFA this year. He would be the perfect veteran for this.

I just wrote a reply advocating for Jagr... but Iginla is a very interesting option, as is Thornton - although Iginla seems a much more likely piece. And it would drive the Flame's fans nuts.

I still think Jagr would be the best option, but there are others.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Hall, RNH and Eberle are pretty much veterans now. Hopefully they teach him the ways of the Ranch and the Rack.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
I just wrote a reply advocating for Jagr... but Iginla is a very interesting option, as is Thornton - although Iginla seems a much more likely piece. And it would drive the Flame's fans nuts.

I still think Jagr would be the best option, but there are others.

Wasn't Jagr only interested in coming here because of Hemsky?

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
All these vets being mentioned would be nice, however we cannot spare any dollars on any position other than D or goaltending. Those positions need to be our primary focus.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I want a neanderthal riding shotgun on McDavid's RW. Someone who's going to lay the body, who's going to go to the net, who's going to work the boards and retrieve the puck when it's not on McDavid's stick or in the back of the net. Most importantly, someone that's in every scrum, covering Hall and McDavid's back and won't ever be seen waiting-for-the-bus. This is getting better, but we're not a cohesive pack after the whistle and its become of immense important about 17 hours ago.

Names for the sake of discussion:

Wayne Simmonds would be amazing but isn't realistic.

Troy Brouwer would be a good fit, skating would be an issue on the 4/97 line.

Dustin Brown makes too much money.

Bryan Bickell is near the bottom of my options but if we can jettison Purcell's contract I'd do it.

Curtis Glencross on his offwing?... Dunno if I'd want him back to be honest.

Matt Beleskey's year kind of tailed off. He's a UFA and of varying payday. Likely get overpaid for his career year. Dunno if he'll ever hit 20 again.

MagicOilers73

Jul 29, 2013
Something to consider to shore up the D & G as we have what we need to get both. Offer TOR: Nikitin, Marincin, Pit 2015 pick, 1 of Osterle, Davidson, Musil, Purcell & MTL 2nd rnd 2015 pick for Phaneuf(no retention) & Bernier. Then offer very good $$$ for either Sekera/Yandle. Our D & G line up looks like this next year:

Phaneuf - Sekera/Yandle
Klefbom - Shultz
Fayne - Ference

Bernier
Scrivens

I think that line up should help us challenge for a playoff spot next year. :)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Dion's contract will be an albatross in 3 years or so ... I would pass on that.

What about (gulp) Chara? I honestly think something has to give in Boston, look at their cap situation and how they have to re-up Hamilton.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Hall and Ebs can't show him the ropes? Along with Nuge?

More than anything we need a mentor for Klefbom and Marincin!

Agreed. We need to make a major change on D in order to even have a fighting chance at being a decent team. I can't even think of a skilled minute eating RHD that could be had without losing key pieces

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I honestly think we keep D.Roy he has played 700 games in the NHL at centre he would be a better mentor for McDavid even if they don't play on the same line.

Tell D. roy he gets the 3c position for the next 2 years lander on his left wing and then Yak on his right. He has been unreal for Yak to get down positioning. Then RNH and Roy can help McDavid positioning wise if need be and we have some decent defensive guys who can also help.

I think it is a team effort everyone pitches as different guys are better at different things.

Gordon can help him with F/O's and D zone play. Roy and RNH can help with Ozone stuff if there is anything to help with really.

I just don't see how a J.Williams will be able to keep up as he declines and would rather get a more gritty cheaper option like Joel Ward.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I don't think it matters much when you are taling about a player this good. Ovechking didn't have any veteran support.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
ROR is on the market. I know Colorado is looking for Defence but I think the Oilers could offer them something they would consider.

Pouliot RNH Eberle
Hall Mcdavid ROR
Roy Lander Yakupov
Hendricks Gordon Purcell/Pitlick

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't think it matters much when you are taling about a player this good. Ovechking didn't have any veteran support.

Ovechkin didn't properly develop his defensive game, clearly his offense with his respect to scoring goals hasn't been hampered by the lack of veteran support, but his maturity level and willingness to pay attention to the little details has come along very slowly.

MagicOilers73

Jul 29, 2013
I think Dion's contract will be an albatross in 3 years or so ... I would pass on that.

What about (gulp) Chara? I honestly think something has to give in Boston, look at their cap situation and how they have to re-up Hamilton.

If you're just looking at how he's played in TOR only, then maybe yes; But what if we get him & he reverts back to his CAL form???? I believe it's a risk worth taking to shore up the D. As far as Chara's concerned, if he was UFA 2 years ago, I'd consider it more than I do now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you're just looking at how he's played in TOR only, then maybe yes; But what if we get him & he reverts back to his CAL form???? I believe it's a risk worth taking to shore up the D. As far as Chara's concerned, if he was UFA 2 years ago, I'd consider it more than I do now.

Phaneauf is poison to a healthy team culture...no way I would want his BS around this team. The culture on this team (by some reports) is already toxic which has contributed to losing year after year.
This has to be completely remedied so that this team is collectively pulling on the same end of the rope.
This is very important IMO. (great topic for a thread)

This has to be a player (preferably more than 1 player) that has a high level of character and can still play for 2 or 3 years. They need to be able to contribute on and off the ice.
Iginla and Doan would both be great additions...both are still playing at a high level (Iginla more so) and both are quality people.
Both players would be completely respected inside the room and would help turn this toxic losing culture into something that would lend itself to success.

The Oilers will never get a better opportunity than right now to build a winner...my biggest concern is that Katz and his BFF's will F it up.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I want a neanderthal riding shotgun on McDavid's RW. Someone who's going to lay the body, who's going to go to the net, who's going to work the boards and retrieve the puck when it's not on McDavid's stick or in the back of the net. Most importantly, someone that's in every scrum, covering Hall and McDavid's back and won't ever be seen waiting-for-the-bus. This is getting better, but we're not a cohesive pack after the whistle and its become of immense important about 17 hours ago.

Names for the sake of discussion:

Wayne Simmonds would be amazing but isn't realistic.

Troy Brouwer would be a good fit, skating would be an issue on the 4/97 line.

Dustin Brown makes too much money.

Bryan Bickell is near the bottom of my options but if we can jettison Purcell's contract I'd do it.

Curtis Glencross on his offwing?... Dunno if I'd want him back to be honest.

Matt Beleskey's year kind of tailed off. He's a UFA and of varying payday. Likely get overpaid for his career year. Dunno if he'll ever hit 20 again.

I'm of the same wavelength. Want someone who will protect McDavid. First guys that came to mind were players like Chris Neil, Dorsett (although I think he just re-signed) and Brandon Prust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad