Mcdavid needs a veteran, find him!

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I am not letting this generational talent fall into a black hole with this organization. We need a sure fire veteran that will show him the ropes proerply like Taveres and Crosby.

Guys, realistically, who is that guy?

someone said patrice bergeron if you could pry him out of boston....

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Patrick Sharp fits the bill perfectly. Friedman said that he's as good as gone in Chicago and far more available than Seabrook.

Only issue is that I have trouble justifying giving up the assets it takes to get a player like this when we have such massive holes on defense and goaltending that we need to use said assets for.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Patrick Sharp fits the bill perfectly. Friedman said that he's as good as gone in Chicago and far more available than Seabrook.

Only issue is that I have trouble justifying giving up the assets it takes to get a player like this when we have such massive holes on defense and goaltending that we need to use said assets for.

Yeah Sharpy is a good one. Hopefully we can snag seabrook too because you're right. We NEED D more than anything

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Oilers cant add an additional 5 million on the wings. Maybe if the Hawks would take Purcell. But then that defeats the purpose for Chicago doesn't it?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I am not letting this generational talent fall into a black hole with this organization. We need a sure fire veteran that will show him the ropes proerply like Taveres and Crosby.

Guys, realistically, who is that guy?

someone said patrice bergeron if you could pry him out of boston....

Well with the assumption of Hall or Pouliot being his linemate we would be looking for a veteran RW. This would also have to have an assumption of Purcell being forced down the line-up or him being traded away/bought-out.

Shane Doan is extremely loyal and is overpaid for what he provides at this stage, but it's hard to believe he is thrilled with the direction of Arizona at this time, he's about as good of a veteran leader as you could get for the young guys.

Marian Hossa is an extremely well rounded two-way player and would be a solid veteran pick-up, although Chicago being scared to death of potential cap recapture penalties will likely make it a non-starter.

Justin Williams is about to hit free agency and plays a complete game, is a good vet and he knows how to elevate his game in key moments, he'd be a good guy for the young guys . I think he is an individual who will prioritize cups over the pay day and for that reason I don't think he would choose us.

Marty St. Louis tends to make everyone around him better and helped in the development of Richards, Lecavalier, and Stamkos; despite his gifts he's a midget on what is already a pretty small team, but maybe he can teach them how to play with heart despite their diminutive size.

The only other one that comes to mind is Jagr who just re-signed in Florida.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Oilers cant add an additional 5 million on the wings. Maybe if the Hawks would take Purcell. But then that defeats the purpose for Chicago doesn't it?
Sharp and Bickell for picks

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Hall and Ebs can't show him the ropes? Along with Nuge?

More than anything we need a mentor for Klefbom and Marincin!

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The only thing this team needs is defensemen that can ensure every turnover doesn't turn into an uncontested shot from the slot. Roy would be a perfectly fine filler for a year or two while McJesus gets his legs under him.

Not to say that dumping Purcell for someone with a bit more intensity wouldn't help immensely, but this team will live and die based on what the defense looks like when the season starts. Unfortunately, it may be harder said than done to shore up, since Macdevil went and blew his wad on wingers

azashi

May 31, 2006
Between Nuge, who will be entering his 5th season, and Derek Roy, who has 738 regular season and 49 post-season appearances, I think there's enough veteran experience at centre.

It's actually quite hard to forecast what the lineups will look like.

The Oilers could try the inexperience route like they did this year, and run Nuge/McDavid/Lander/Draisaitl, but I think they'll re-sign Roy and move either Draisaitl or McDavid to left wing.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
We really have to watch how much cap we spend up front. With RNH, Hall and Eberle already being paid 6M a season, we don't have a lot of cap room. I have no problem with Lander and Pitlick filling some roles for cheap. We might be able to add 1 more piece up front to help McDavid but it can't be too long of a contract or else we won't have room for Yakupov and Draisaitl.

Forwards: 37.7M
Pouliot(4)-RNH(6)-Eberle(6)
Hall(6)-McDavid(4)-XXXX
Lander(0.6)-Roy(1.5)-Yakupov(2.5)
Hendricks(1.8)-Gordon(3)-Pitlick(0.725)
Klinkhammer(0.725)-Gazdic(0.85)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wild question ... if Joe Thornton is done in San Jose ... I wonder if he might consider waiving his NTC now to help mentor McDavid and the other Oiler kids. Probably not ... but who knows.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Wild question ... if Joe Thornton is done in San Jose ... I wonder if he might consider waiving his NTC now to help mentor McDavid and the other Oiler kids. Probably not ... but who knows.

Don't think Thornton would ever entertain it.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

He's spent the last few years mocking the Oilers after games, sincerely doubt he wants to come up here.

He already nixed a deal to Dallas last year, with rumors that he would only accept a trade to the NYR.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
So the Oilers can't afford to add $5 million to the wings... so they add $9M?

This team doesn't have the cap space to spend on anything other than upgrading the defense, and maybe the goaltending.

We'd have to assume that Purcell's contract would be gone for this to materialize.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Just have him live with Hendricks. 11 years of pro experience, started as an ECHLer without an NHL contract, generally held to be a "good in the room" guy and was developed by a non-Oilers franchise. The "ropes" that you want him to be shown are hard work and good practice habits and those are generally possessed by players that weren't good enough to make the NHL on talent alone. Gordon can handle the center specific lessons.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The veterans they need to sign are on D and in net.

If the team can unload Purcell and/or Nikitin, they can upgrade up front, but that's a big if.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just have him live with Hendricks. 11 years of pro experience, started as an ECHLer without an NHL contract, generally held to be a "good in the room" guy and was developed by a non-Oilers franchise. The "ropes" that you want him to be shown are hard work and good practice habits and those are generally possessed by players that weren't good enough to make the NHL on talent alone. Gordon can handle the center specific lessons.

Ference probably already called dibs

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Eric Staal isn't happy with the direction Carolina is heading. He's only 30, he would be an ideal guy to centre the 2nd line and break McDavid in on the wing.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
We defenetely need to address the goaltending and tht vet Dman. As much as I like Nelson, I also would like to now see an experinced coach. We do have options now. I would seriously considering trading Eberle +

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
The veterans they need to sign are on D and in net.

If the team can unload Purcell and/or Nikitin, they can upgrade up front, but that's a big if.

Yeah they need to focus solely on D and G. Sign Roy if he's prepared to go cheap and then put all your resources to fix the defensive sid of the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad