Post-Game Talk: McDavid Appreciation Night

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nothing but agreement from me here. It would be the next best thing to winning the cup, to beat Vegas

Not sure what a Nurse deal will look like. Someone mentioned Laine for Nurse, that's cool...I think. Getting out from his contract without having to take much on is key. Would you pay 2x 1st's for someone to take Nurse's contract outright?
Yeah...I think that @Jimmi McJenkins mentioned the Laine deal.
Its intriguing to me especially knowing that this team could really use a legit shooting winger.
Laine has a huge cap hit ($8.7M) but he is only 25 and if he can put injury concerns behind him he could be a real weapon on this team.
Columbus may have a need for a (somewhat offensive) top 4 dman as well.
Nurse would be 2nd on their team in D scoring with his 32 points.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree.
I just cant see any other way around that. It was an unpopular opinion on here but I wanted Nurse gone last off season.

The problem is that even with Nurse (potentially) headed out the door in the off season his drastic overpay is going to influence Bouchards next contract which is now likely going to be an overpay as well.
Sure, but Bouchard also got 80+ points and his fancies are outstanding, he's likely going to be worth the money.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
giphy-5_V1.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sure, but Bouchard also got 80+ points and his fancies are outstanding, he's likely going to be worth the money.
Well...you and I will definitely agree on Boucard being an outstanding offensive dman but IMO he needs a lot of growth in his game defensively. The advanced stats are lacking IMO.
That growth should happen in time but he is going to get paid anyway.

There is also going to be a lot of turnover on this team just with all the UFA's too.
Should be interesting.

Reactions: RegDunlop and nally

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well...you and I will definitely agree on Boucard being an outstanding offensive dman but IMO he needs a lot of growth in his game defensively. The advanced stats are lacking IMO.
That growth should happen in time but he is going to get paid anyway.

There is also going to be a lot of turnover on this team just with all the UFA's too.
Should be interesting.
I'm not sure how, but ok I guess.

I suspect there will be as well, turnover, but they're largely fine. Kane, Nurse and Ceci go out, that's a lot of dollars.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
----------------------------------------------------------

15 minutes of magic.

I did watch this, it was amazing.

The best was all the BIG games he had, and watching that score just go up and up as he's racking up assists.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not sure how, but ok I guess.

I suspect there will be as well, turnover, but they're largely fine. Kane, Nurse and Ceci go out, that's a lot of dollars.
I have explained it in other posts.
Lets just say that SOME of the analytics are less than defiinitive.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Man, the Oilers food and beverage group have lost the plot. From overpriced crap burgers and dogs to an overall menu that has a pathetic pizzas it's highlite, they could have done something special for last night and made a ton of money off of it. Something to commemorate McDavids quest for 100 assists. Like apple turnovers shaped like an M. Or some type of deep fried thingy shaped like an apple. Who knows, probably more creative minds out there than me. Promote the hell out of it. But a perfectly good marketing opportunity gone. Instead, they trot out the same old crap.

My rant, sorry.

Reactions: VainGretzky

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Man, the Oilers food and beverage group have lost the plot. From overpriced crap burgers and dogs to an overall menu that has a pathetic pizzas it's highlite, they could have done something special for last night and made a ton of money off of it. Something to commemorate McDavids quest for 100 assists. Like apple turnovers shaped like an M. Or some type of deep fried thingy shaped like an apple. Who knows, probably more creative minds out there than me. Promote the hell out of it. But a perfectly good marketing opportunity gone. Instead, they trot out the same old crap.

My rant, sorry.
Its a good rant.
The last game I attended was pretty much the same thing.
Overpriced garbage (poor quality) food.

Fans must not care though because they apparently keep buying it. If they stopped buying it then they would be forced to change it.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Congratulations to Connor on his 100th assist! Perfect game chosen for fan appreciation night.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Meaningless... but I liked the beat down.
Congrats Conner. It's been an absolute honor to watch you after being blessed by Wayne.
And nice game by Bouchard as I rode him a bit for a shit showing against Van

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Congrats to Connor man wow. We got so damn lucky getting this guy. He's better than Gretzky. I said it.

Can't wait to see how he will come in on April 21st.

I also liked that top line with Henrique and the Holloway line.

Keep both lines together please

Reactions: Skar

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Congrats to Connor man wow. We got so damn lucky getting this guy. He's better than Gretzky. I said it.

Better than Gretzky? I’m still laughing

Reactions: capazzo

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Someone who never watched Gretzky Speed McDavid>Gretzky Passing Gretzky>McDavid shot Gretzky>McDavid Hitting McDavid>Gretzky Knowing where the puck was going Gretzky >>>>>>>>>>>>McDavid

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I have explained it in other posts.
Lets just say that SOME of the analytics are less than defiinitive.
Because they dont support your bias and "eye" test? Where you focus on the 1 or 2 mistakes he makes a game and ignore all the small things he does well?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because they dont support your bias and "eye" test? Where you focus on the 1 or 2 mistakes he makes a game and ignore all the small things he does well?
This is interesting coming from you...the poster that thinks small sample sizes are relevant.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Its hard not to do when the two mistakes cost the game, just saying...

It doesn't really matter if he plays the game of his life when he hands away goals. Since the pressure has ramped up he has really fallen off imo, lots of bizarre decisions.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Its hard not to do when the two mistakes cost the game, just saying...

It doesn't really matter if he plays the game of his life when he hands away goals. Since the pressure has ramped up he has really fallen off imo, lots of bizarre decisions.
And what about all the good plays that win games.

You'd think for all the giving away games, he'd have a terrible plus minus.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And what about all the good plays that win games.

You'd think for all the giving away games, he'd have a terrible plus minus.
Plus minus is a terrible stat.

Just to set the record straight...I am not saying that I dont like Holloway or that he is a bad player.
I like him a lot and I also like his tool box.
I mean he has great wheels...he goes into the greasy areas...he has size....he can create mismatches...whats not to like?

When you watch the games though you can see (due to his inexperience) that he misses defensive assignments. He too often goes to the wrong areas of the ice. That even happens in the O zone too. Luckily his linemates are ususally strong defensive players so the D zone errors dont cost the team most times.
Thats to be expected from a young player. I actually think that an argument could be made that the Oilers havent given Holloway enough opportunity.

I hope that changes but one of the things that hurts him in that regard is that he doesnt PK.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Plus minus is a terrible stat.

Just to set the record straight...I am not saying that I dont like Holloway or that he is a bad player.
I like him a lot and I also like his tool box.
I mean he has great wheels...he goes into the greasy areas...he has size....he can create mismatches...whats not to like?

When you watch the games though you can see (due to his inexperience) that he misses defensive assignments. he goes to the wrong areas of the ice at times. Luckily his linemates are ususally strong defensive players so it doesnt cost the team most times.
Thats to be expected from a young player. I actually think that an argument could be made that the Oilers havent given Holloway enough opportunity.

I hope that changes but one of the things that hurts him in that regard is that he doesnt PK.
Okay.

Goal differential, Bouchard is still at 62% in goal differential, which is pretty good considering they get the tough assignments.

The Oilers dont give these young players enough time to work through mistakes, as soon as they make one they get benched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad