Post-Game Talk: McDavid Appreciation Night

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Sharks were a total embarrassment last night. I think that honestly might be the worst team these two eyes have personally witnessed in nearly 40 years of life.

I think the league needs to pause and actually evaluate the impact of expansion on the quality of the sport before they keep that train running. Currently all of the Blackhawks, Ducks, Sharks and Blue Jackets are total disgrace, bottom of the NHL non-competitive teams and there are about 4-5 others that aren't far ahead of them. Further to that, there could be as many as two playoff teams this year that can't really be described as much more than ass with 4 teams that are so incompetent that they look like they're trying to miss. More teams will just make this worse.

Beyond expansion, the thought of expanded playoffs is insane. There are already more teams making the playoffs than deserve to as we sit here today.

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
This 3rd line has looked so good since Holloway's recall. Kane also looked really good against Vancouver.

I have no idea how you balance this lineup, but I think Holloway should be in the starting line up come playoff time and you probably want to run Brown and Janmark with the option of rotating in Carrick, and Ryan being injury insurance.

Personally I wouldn't break up the McLeod Perry Holloway line. Maybe they can somehow balance 4 lines and run McD-Drai-Nuge/Henrique-McLeod down the middle to get the most out of a guy like Kane.

Just for fun:
Janmark-McDavid-Hyman
Foegele-Drai-Brown
Holloway-McLeod-Perry
Henrique-Nuge-Kane

Don't know that I'd actually do this, but it's crazy to me that I can actually look at this team right now and say that we have too many top 9 players to fit in the top 9.
Kinda odd for me to slot Henrique in a C4 but you could almost roll the lines and have a threat on each of them. Also further proof that 2LW was probably our weakest spot..

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Foegele
Holloway-McLeod-Perry
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Carrick

Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Aside form the 100 assists for McDavid (which is a truly amazing accomplishement) last nights game was as meaningless as it gets.

Just to underscore that the goal differential is a good way to evaluate the quality of a team.
The Oilers are a top 3 team in the NHL based on goal differential. They are +64.
San Jose is last in the NHL at -146. :amazed:

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Wouldnt it be way more satisfying to have the boys beat Vegas in the first round?
Absolutely...but man, that is eggs in one basket. I think they are going to be one of the toughest outs in the playoffs. Lots of key players coming back from injury. Going to be an extremely deep team. I don't think I can take a first round exit.

I know the idea is that this is the team, they want to be the best, they gotta beat the best. But man...

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Sharks were a total embarrassment last night. I think that honestly might be the worst team these two eyes have personally witnessed in nearly 40 years of life.

I think the league needs to pause and actually evaluate the impact of expansion on the quality of the sport before they keep that train running. Currently all of the Blackhawks, Ducks, Sharks and Blue Jackets are total disgrace, bottom of the NHL non-competitive teams and there are about 4-5 others that aren't far ahead of them. Further to that, there could be as many as two playoff teams this year that can't really be described as much more than ass with 4 teams that are so incompetent that they look like they're trying to miss. More teams will just make this worse.

Beyond expansion, the thought of expanded playoffs is insane. There are already more teams making the playoffs than deserve to as we sit here today.

On our hockey group chat we were commenting on how RIDICULOUSLY bad they were last night. We were running at maybe 60-70% effort and it was still a disgrace.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Absolutely...but man, that is eggs in one basket. I think they are going to be one of the toughest outs in the playoffs. Lots of key players coming back from injury. Going to be an extremely deep team. I don't think I can take a first round exit.

I know the idea is that this is the team, they want to be the best, they gotta beat the best. But man...

If we lose to Vegas in the first round (which is entirely possible, I think it would be a coin flip really) I won't be all that upset honestly. Vegas is a very deep team that is cheating on the cap and won the cup last year. Like, if you are super pissed about the entire season because of that, then you have a VERY high bar indeed.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think that Nurse is the real issue on this team. His contract has to go IMO.
To me the team should (and probably is at this point) look to moving on from him this offseason, it won't be simple, but it's possible. Nurse's tools and history will still interest teams.

I, sincerely, think the deal that's right there, is Nurse for Laine. Columbus gets depth and a minute eater on the blueline. Oilers get a guy who's probably quite done with Columbus and a good top-6 forward.

Edit: Yes I know Werenski is a LHD, but him getting leaned on a bit less would do wonders for his production and health I suspect.

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
If he doesn’t get hurt we walk away with the division. Hopefully they rest him now if Vancouver wins tonight.

Reactions: nally

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree but damn I would love nothing more than to see the boys knock out Bettmans favored little franchise. I cant stand Vegas.
They have been given opportunities beyond what any other expansion team has been given since their first day in the League.
They also exacerbate that annoyance by consistantly twisting the rules and circumventing the cap.
If the Oilers can punt their cheating ass to the crub that would be amazing. :D

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To me the team should (and probably is at this point) look to moving on from him this offseason, it won't be simple, but it's possible. Nurse's tools and history will still interest teams.

I, sincerely, think the deal that's right there, is Nurse for Laine. Columbus gets depth and a minute eater on the blueline. Oilers get a guy who's probably quite done with Columbus and a good top-6 forward.

Edit: Yes I know Werenski is a LHD, but him getting leaned on a bit less would do wonders for his production and health I suspect.
Bouchard will be negotiating his contract soon and as a top 3 performer on this team he is going to get paid.
Nurse doesnt even come close to deserve being the highest paid dman on this team and that contract is going to play a role in Bouchards negotiations.
Nurse's $9.25M is the gift that keeps on giving. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Bouchard will be negotiating his contract soon and as a top performer on this team he is going to get paid.
Nurse doesnt even come close to deserve being the highest paid dman on this team and that contract is going to play a role in Bouchards negotiations.
Nurse's $9.25M is the gift that keeps on giving. :sarcasm:
Yup, it's been pretty brutal.

Draisailt, McDavid and Bouchard on the way, this team will have to move forward without Nurse.

I have supported him a bunch, but Nurse needs to bring more all the time and I don't know he can.

Good news the Oilers have 2 2nd pairs, bad news it's Kulak - Desharnais just ahead of Nurse - Ceci lol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yup, it's been pretty brutal.

Draisailt, McDavid and Bouchard on the way, this team will have to move forward without Nurse.
I agree.
I just cant see any other way around that. It was an unpopular opinion on here but I wanted Nurse gone last off season.

The problem is that even with Nurse (potentially) headed out the door in the off season his drastic overpay is going to influence Bouchards next contract which is now likely going to be an overpay as well.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

nally

Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
If we lose to Vegas in the first round (which is entirely possible, I think it would be a coin flip really) I won't be all that upset honestly. Vegas is a very deep team that is cheating on the cap and won the cup last year. Like, if you are super pissed about the entire season because of that, then you have a VERY high bar indeed.
Fair enough. It's cup or bust for me. That is my bar

Reactions: guymez

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The oilers will be playing the Jets or Stars in the Western Conference final if we get there, the Avs will not make it with their netminding

nally

Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
I agree but damn I would love nothing more than to see the boys knock out Bettmans favored little franchise. I cant stand Vegas.
They have been given opportunities beyond what any other expansion team has been given since their first day in the League.
They also exacerbate that annoyance by consistantly twisting the rules and circumventing the cap.
If the Oilers can punt their cheating ass to the crub that would be amazing. :D
Nothing but agreement from me here. It would be the next best thing to winning the cup, to beat Vegas

I agree.
I just cant see any other way around that. It was an unpopular opinion on here but I wanted Nurse gone last off season.

The problem is that even with Nurse (potentially) headed out the door in the off season his drastic overpay is going to influence Bouchards next contract which is now likely going to be an overpay as well.
Not sure what a Nurse deal will look like. Someone mentioned Laine for Nurse, that's cool...I think. Getting out from his contract without having to take much on is key. Would you pay 2x 1st's for someone to take Nurse's contract outright?

Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad