Waived: McCormick

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
McCormick cleared.

200.gif

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Down goes Max

In all seriousness, he will be a welcome addition to the line-up down there. We seem to juggle the lines a lot but I suspect he will join these 5 guys as our go-to top-6ers until some bodies (Rodewald, Chlapik, Sturtz) come back.

Carey - Balisy - Tambellini
??? - Brown - Balcers

Does anyone know the nature of Rodewald and Sturtz's injuries? Sturtz has been out since, like, the 2nd week and I haven't heard anything. Rodewald has been out for at least a week, now, too, and I haven't heard anything about him either.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
A gamble by Dorion that obviously didn't work, and can't work without the cooperation of the coach. I thought Max would have brought the required jam and energy that I felt the team needed. He did neither. So i guess Dorion, at the time, had to A. sign him or B. allow him to be a UFA.

It's funny how people bitch about his choice to gamble on the absolute minimum contract provided, and then complain that he doesn't spend. Yes, he wasted 650K. Not the end of the world and , frankly, only serves to prove that he doesn't waste time on making a change.

Bottom line is this is good news for Nick Paul, and others in Belleville.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Down goes Max

He'll be a plus in Belleville. He gets to play, he gets to be a leader, and he gets paid the same.

I'm glad they're sending reinforcements to Belleville. Gotta keep that team in the playoff race. Will be invaluable to give guys like Jaros, Gustavsson and Batherson meaningful playoff in a big development year.

One thing I'll give Dorion credit for this year is he's staying active with the farm team and not letting them fade into the night while the parent team feast on youth like a horny Dracula.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Max McCormick would be touched by this thread and all the cheap shots, bickering and rambunctiousness. We are honoring his NHL life beautifully:laugh:

Reactions: BondraTime

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
A gamble by Dorion that obviously didn't work, and can't work without the cooperation of the coach. I thought Max would have brought the required jam and energy that I felt the team needed. He did neither. So i guess Dorion, at the time, had to A. sign him or B. allow him to be a UFA.

It's funny how people ***** about his choice to gamble on the absolute minimum contract provided, and then complain that he doesn't spend. Yes, he wasted 650K. Not the end of the world and , frankly, only serves to prove that he doesn't waste time on making a change.

Bottom line is this is good news for Nick Paul, and others in Belleville.
True but when you’re making excuses like “guys it’s not the end of the world just a small gamble so what it didn’t work” over and over and over again... somethings wrong.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The fact that McCormick has one way deal shouldn’t have any effect, like ZERO on a NHL team... we’re talking about 1 year at 650 000$ and it would probably close to half of that if it was on a 2-way (made 200 000$ last year)

Such a waste of time to talk about it, it is very little money even for Melnyk.

Same with Boro, who has had a salary around 1 M$ for years, which is totally on par for a depth D-man. The fact that he played many times out of his depth is another problem. He’s also never got 4 years like someone mentioned, 2 years, 2 years, 3 years and then 2 years and the 3 years didn’t come before he was even in the NHL

This list is a bit disingenuous though, MacArthur and Gaborik are LTIR contracts and Phaneuf retention is a result of getting one of them.

Sorry, i said the 4 years but i realize it was 3.

as for the 3 years comment, it definitely did come before he was a regular NHLer.

These were his NHL numbers:
2-0-0-0
6-0-0-0
13-1-0-1
*signs 3 year deal with ottawa

Senators sign defenceman Borowiecki to 3-year extension | CBC Sports

Mccormick played 36 more NHL games than boro when they got their NHL contracts. Same idea. Neither had proven to be regular NHLers and we gave them a free in before they earned it.

I don't remember anyone saying borowiecki was too good for the AHL or that he blew everyone away in his NHL games...he just kinda got the contract, and was penciled in as a 7th because of it...then got played like a 5th-6th.

Same with mccormick. No one said he was too good for the AHL. He didn't blow anyone away in his NHL games or at camp and force a decision. Like boro, he was kinda just penciled into the 13th forward because of the contract.

They're almost indentical situations. Different players though, obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
True but when you’re making excuses like “guys it’s not the end of the world just a small gamble so what it didn’t work” over and over and over again... somethings wrong.

Maybe. But Hoffman was on waivers, and I bet that is in the back of Dorion 's head. I guess Dorion was compelled to give him a chance. I would have liked Max to have more icetime, but it wasn't meant to be this time.

Wonder if he will be the first call up.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He may have just been a Lee love child that Dorion was not quite as enamoured with and willing to cut bait on after seeing what he felt he needed to see.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He may have just been a Lee love child that Dorion was not quite as enamoured with and willing to cut bait on after seeing what he felt he needed to see.
seeing as zack stortini was one of Lee's faves I can definitely see Lee thinking Max as a future first liner

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sorry, i said the 4 years but i realize it was 3.

as for the 3 years comment, it definitely did come before he was a regular NHLer.

These were his NHL numbers:
2-0-0-0
6-0-0-0
13-1-0-1
*signs 3 year deal with ottawa

Senators sign defenceman Borowiecki to 3-year extension | CBC Sports

Mccormick played 36 more NHL games than boro when they got their NHL contracts. Same idea. Neither had proven to be regular NHLers and we gave them a free in before they earned it.

I don't remember anyone saying borowiecki was too good for the AHL or that he blew everyone away in his NHL games...he just kinda got the contract, and was penciled in as a 7th because of it...then got played like a 5th-6th.

Same with mccormick. No one said he was too good for the AHL. He didn't blow anyone away in his NHL games or at camp and force a decision. Like boro, he was kinda just penciled into the 13th forward because of the contract.

They're almost indentical situations. Different players though, obviously.

You're right about Boro, I forgot about how it went for him at the beginning, it kind of took time for him to stick in the NHL. But you know, that kind of contracts is nothing special, every team sign marginal NHL players for depth. Two big problems for the Sens the last few years has been spending on the roster (so players like Boro and McCormick don't play much unless many injuries) and also the amount of injuries the team has been going through, they never really catch a break in that dept.

I'd have been ok with Boro as a depth D-man, playing like ~ 50% of games for 10 sheltered minutes.

Different players but not exactly the same situations though because McCormick only got 1 year with NHL salary minimum, while Boro got 3 years at 1.1 which is way below the NHL average salary but obviously the Sens wanted him around for more than a year. This isn't like Condon at 3 years x 2.4 or even Burrows at 2 years x 2.5. A ~1 M$ salary is closer to league minimum and not something a NHL team should ever worry about.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
One of the problems with McCormick is that he doesn't have the size or maybe more importantly the strength to play his kind of role in the NHL. He is listed at 5'11 and 188 lbs.

Looking around at other super pests type of players with comparable frames there is:
  • Darcy Tucker at 5 '10 and 170 lbs
  • Sean Avery at 5 '10 and 195 lbs
  • Steve Ott at 6' and 189 lbs
  • Nazem Kadri at 6' and 190 lbs
  • Andrew Shaw at 5'11 and 182 lbs
  • Brendan Gallagher at 5 '9 and 184 lbs
  • Brad Marchand at 5'9 and 181 lbs
There have been other pests who have played with similar frames, although it helps to be bigger to play that style of hockey and to be closer to the size of Chris Neil if not bigger.

McCormick doesn't really have the skill of the other pests I mentioned but he is also much less effective as a pest and as a physical player than them. If McCormick was as much of a physical presence and pest as them then he would likely still be in the NHL. He doesn't seem that strong for the NHL and that impacts his physical play.

Reactions: aragorn

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You're right about Boro, I forgot about how it went for him at the beginning, it kind of took time for him to stick in the NHL. But you know, that kind of contracts is nothing special, every team sign marginal NHL players for depth. Two big problems for the Sens the last few years has been spending on the roster (so players like Boro and McCormick don't play much unless many injuries) and also the amount of injuries the team has been going through, they never really catch a break in that dept.

I'd have been ok with Boro as a depth D-man, playing like ~ 50% of games for 10 sheltered minutes.

Different players but not exactly the same situations though because McCormick only got 1 year with NHL salary minimum, while Boro got 3 years at 1.1 which is way below the NHL average salary but obviously the Sens wanted him around for more than a year. This isn't like Condon at 3 years x 2.4 or even Burrows at 2 years x 2.5. A ~1 M$ salary is closer to league minimum and not something a NHL team should ever worry about.

I think the point isn't that boro cost too much. It's about throwing guaranteed NHL money to people who have yet to prove they belong.

We used to give those bubble guys 1 year 2-way deals until they actually crack the roster and make it full time. The following summer, after having a full year in the NHL, you can offer him your boro type 3 year NHL money.

I don't like the idea of having to pencil guys in the NHL lineup just because they have an NHL contract, not because they've actually proven to be quality NHL players.

But you have a point, which mixes with mine. Part of the problem is instead of signing a proven NHLer to a 3 year contract, we cheap out and sign the unproven guy to a 3 year contract and play him in the role that is suited for that proven NHLer. Which would allow us to sign the unproven guys to 2 way 1 year deals until they prove themselves. It's a trickle down effect.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4