Waived: McCormick

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Win-win, costs Melnyk more money with McCormick's one-way (which he never deserved).

Genius PD.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Apparently everyone outside of our management team knew this was a bad deal from the get go, confidence inspiring!

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I’m probably in the minority but I didn’t mind him as much. He brought some jam and sandpaper to the team, and honestly could have used more of that against MTL. Keeping things in perspective, it’s really not that bad that they’re waiving a guy with a $650k salary

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Would still prefer him over Bouchers son.

Should never give an AHLer a one way before they even stepped into or proved to be NHLers.

Good job Randy.

Lol we did this with boro too. A 4 year contract to boot I believe. Lol that's unheard of.

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No one could see this coming amirite? I echo that given the same opportunity, he could be more valuable than Pyatt because of his willingness to get his nose dirty, but if he wasn't going to see any ice time he might as well go down and help out Belleville, and I would not be surprised if he felt the same way.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Why did he get a contract and take a spot from Chlapik or Balcers. Any hoot, lots of heart, just not a natural Andrew Shaw type, and it shows in his game. Lots of energy but not s lot of impact.

Good luck Max, thanks for the hard hockey

Reactions: NB613

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll defend Boro's contract all day - that's very cheap for a guy who slots well into the 5/6 pairing and brings physical play for you every night. Great value there.

Sure, McCormick's one way was a mistake, but how big? We have to eat one year at veteran minimum just to make sure that we had a guy we know could play on the 4th line if need be. It didn't work out, sure, but his contract is up in June. Trust me, there are plenty of teams who wish they had our problems in the "bad contract" department. (Scott Darling, Brent Seabrook, Milan Lucic, Loui Ericksson. etc. )

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree that Boro slots well into a 5th or 6th defensive pairing.

5th or 6th pairing ... that's like not 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th pairing ... so that would be 9th - 12th on the D depth chart .. might be a little low , but not hard to imagine.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not looking forward to the “Boucher doesn’t have McCormick what do you expect?” Takes

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Well the only surprise here is that dorion realized his mistake.
To be fair, I think that the past eight months or so has shown that Dorion (and and maybe Boucher) is no longer trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. He's shown a willingness to own up to his mistakes and try to move on from them.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'll defend Boro's contract all day - that's very cheap for a guy who slots well into the 5/6 pairing and brings physical play for you every night. Great value there.

Sure, McCormick's one way was a mistake, but how big? We have to eat one year at veteran minimum just to make sure that we had a guy we know could play on the 4th line if need be. It didn't work out, sure, but his contract is up in June. Trust me, there are plenty of teams who wish they had our problems in the "bad contract" department. (Scott Darling, Brent Seabrook, Milan Lucic, Loui Ericksson. etc. )
Bobby Ryan, Zack Smith, Mike Condon, Cody Ceci, Clarke Macarthur, Marian Gaborik, Phaneuf retention and Burrows buyout say otherwise.

Hounorable mention to Craig Anderson, although he's been better this year and Pageau on LTIR.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Bobby Ryan, Zack Smith, Mike Condon, Cody Ceci, Clarke Macarthur, Marian Gaborik, Phaneuf retention and Burrows buyout say otherwise.

Hounorable mention to Craig Anderson, although he's been better this year and Pageau on LTIR.
I don’t think MacArthur or ceci belong on this list at all. The MacArthur contract was more than fair. The unfortunate result of his health doesn’t make it bad. Cecis was awarded by an arbitrator and it’s only one year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The fact that McCormick has one way deal shouldn’t have any effect, like ZERO on a NHL team... we’re talking about 1 year at 650 000$ and it would probably close to half of that if it was on a 2-way (made 200 000$ last year)

Such a waste of time to talk about it, it is very little money even for Melnyk.

Same with Boro, who has had a salary around 1 M$ for years, which is totally on par for a depth D-man. The fact that he played many times out of his depth is another problem. He’s also never got 4 years like someone mentioned, 2 years, 2 years, 3 years and then 2 years and the 3 years didn’t come before he was even in the NHL

This list is a bit disingenuous though, MacArthur and Gaborik are LTIR contracts and Phaneuf retention is a result of getting one of them.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The fact that McCormick has one way deal shouldn’t have any effect, like ZERO on a NHL team... we’re talking about 1 year at 650 000$ and it would probably close to half of that if it was on a 2-way (made 200 000$ last year)

Same with Boro, who has had a salary around 1 M$ for years, which is totally on par for a depth D-man. The fact that he played many times out of his depth is another problem. He’s also never got 4 years like someone mentioned, 2 years, 2 years, 3 years and then 2 years and the 3 years didn’t come before he was even in the NHL

Yeah, I don't think McCormick would be the highest paid player on basically any AHL team. The one-way deal was completely inconsequential, especially because the big concern was that he would take a spot from someone who deserved it more than him. All told, he made about 350-400k last season, anyways.

Reactions: Xspyrit

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

It's funny how everyone suddenly seems to care about Melnyk's bank account.

Seriously though. It was a 1 year deal at league minimum. Worth the risk.

Reactions: Clayonator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad