Confirmed with Link: McBain to Arizona for 2nd round pick

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I think he might be wrong on that, but I can’t say I’m 100% certain.
This is an excerpt from his recent mailbag:

OK, I did some checking on this because the CBA is not clear, but basically, if you draft a Canadian junior, after the first year, you make a bona fide offer that few in their right mind would ever accept anyway. As for college and European players, you hold their rights for four years. On June 1, the league will check to see if you’re signing those players. Because Johansson is a 2018 first-rounder, if Minnesota tells the NHL on June 1 it’s not signing him, the Wild will automatically get a compensatory pick in the second round. He was 24th overall, so add 32 spots from there and that’ll be where they’d pick in Round 2 assuming no other 2018 first-rounders aren’t signed as well.

So, once and for all, because I’ve written it and said it wrong in the past: The Wild have not and probably will not have to make him a bona fide offer.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
A 2nd is more value than I expected McBain to become last year, so... cool. That's a subtely really good trade, getting a decent pick for someone who publicly didn't want to sign with the team.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
This is an excerpt from his recent mailbag:
Reading the CBA directly gives me a different interpretation:

CBA 8.3(b) said:
(b) In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice drafted in
the first round of the Entry Draft (except as a result of failing to tender a required Bona Fide
Offer (as defined below)), who (i) is again eligible for the Entry Draft, (ii) becomes an
Unrestricted Free Agent, or (iii) dies, a Compensatory Draft Selection shall automatically be
granted to that Club, which Compensatory Draft Selection shall be the same numerical choice in
the second round in the Entry Draft immediately following the date the Club loses such rights.
By way of example, if a Club cannot sign the third pick in the first round, it will receive the third
pick in the second round as compensation.

CBA 8.6 (d) iii (Covering players drafted outside of NA) said:
(d) Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America.
(i) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if
a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North
America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation
for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his
selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to
such Player to retain such rights.
(ii) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if
a Player drafted at age 20 or older is drafted from a club outside North
ARTICLE 8 8.7-8.9
America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation
for his services through and including the second June 1 following his
selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to
such Player to retain such rights.
(iii) Upon the expiration of the applicable exclusive right of negotiation as
outlined in subsections (i) and (ii) above, the Player shall be a draft-related
Unrestricted Free Agent.

Re-reading. Makes sense.

Topically, have fun in Arizona, Jack. Hope it was worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spurgeon

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am all for Brackett having multiple seconds to work his magic on.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
McBain played for a coach in Arizona. Makes sense he wants to sign there

Win win
Completely unfounded thought, but McBain and Boldy might not have gotten along at BC.

Getting to choose where you play is a huge factor in all of this too. Having to wait 5 years to choose where you really want to live sounds like a drag. Sure hockey players travel half the season, but the Twin Cities really isn’t where I’d want to spend a majority of my 20s compared to the alternatives.

I really don’t blame McBain for choosing to play elsewhere. Would’ve been real nice to have him as a fit on a Boldy - Fiala line during these dead cap years though. Personally, I’d much rather have McBain than a 2nd right now.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
It'll be interesting to see what he becomes. Didn't watch BC this season so no idea what's up with his breakout. Could be he had a big revelation. Could be he's 22, big, playing in a decimated division, and is shooting nearly double his NCAA career average this year. I was unimpressed watching him the last 2 years so happy to get something as good as a 2nd back for his rights.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's a good return. But, I'd rather have McBain than a mystery box.

The winner/loser of this trade won't be known for years.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's a good return. But, I'd rather have McBain than a mystery box.

The winner/loser of this trade won't be known for years.

Why does there have to be a winner/loser? Minnesota wins because they get a decently high pick (around the 40th pick at the moment), for a guy that doesn't want to sign. Arizona gets to speed up a prospect for one of five second rounders. They get a guy that wants to play for their team. It's a win-win. Both teams and even player gets what they want.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I have a feeling that they’re probably going to try and trade up to get their guy like they’ve tried (and done) previously. More ammo to do that now.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Why does there have to be a winner/loser? Minnesota wins because they get a decently high pick (around the 40th pick at the moment), for a guy that doesn't want to sign. Arizona gets to speed up a prospect for one of five second rounders. They get a guy that wants to play for their team. It's a win-win. Both teams and even player gets what they want.
There doesn't have to be a winner and/or a loser but we grow up thinking everything is a zero sum game that we actively try to put things into that box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad