GDT: May 6 • Finland 3, France 1

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
JMA!

Kontiola has reached Mikko Koivu status in my eyes in this tournament.

Really?

Kontiola has lead this team to a world championship?

Yeah he is a better playmaker than Koivu (Mikko, not better than Saku). I give him that and really happy to see Konna do good now that he has #1 center status in the team.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
JMA!

Kontiola has reached Mikko Koivu status in my eyes in this tournament.

Yeah he is a better playmaker than Koivu (Mikko, not better than Saku).

Both of you have got to be kidding me. :facepalm: You're really comparing a guy with a good NHL and long and successful NT career to someone who's now scoring well in a tournament that's actually rather bad in quality overall? The quality is much worse than it was last year, for example.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Both of you have got to be kidding me. :facepalm: You're really comparing a guy with a good NHL and long and successful NT career to someone who's now scoring well in a tournament that's actually rather bad in quality overall? The quality is much worse than it was last year, for example.

Kontiola is a better passer and has a better vision than Mikko Koivu, but that is all, in my opinion. M.Koivu is a better scorer, better two way player and much stronger on the puck.

I am not raising Kontiola to the same status.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Asleep at the wheel.

I'm starting to understand why Nashville got rid of Laakso.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Kontiola is a better passer and has a better vision than Mikko Koivu, but that is all, in my opinion. M.Koivu is a better scorer, better two way player and much stronger on the puck.

I am not raising Kontiola to the same status.

I don't think he's a better passer at all and neither of them are very good scorers. The difference in the scoring aspect is in Mikko's favor but it's rather marginal. Otherwise I do agree.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005

I may end up having to eat my words, but Kontiola has shown great leadership and an ability to take the team on his shoulders in situations where so many have failed before him.

I have a feeling he'll come up big for Finland against Russia and USA.

Ok, he isn't as complete a player as Mikko, no where near the same two-way ability, so it might have been a bit of hyperbole on my part comparing the two.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Not too happy about the fact that even against France our first line is the only one that gets the job done.

smi

Jun 14, 2011
I may end up having to eat my words, but Kontiola has shown great leadership and an ability to take the team on his shoulders in situations where so many have failed before him.

I have a feeling he'll come up big for Finland against Russia and USA.

Ok, he isn't as complete a player as Mikko, no where near the same two-way ability, so it might have been a bit of hyperbole on my part comparing the two.

It remains to be seen whether I'm being pessimistic or realistic, but I have a feeling he and his line will not be able to save Finland against Russia and USA like they have saved them against weaker teams. Russia and USA will be more able to shut them out effectively. For the first time in the tournament, we're going to need other players to step up.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Holy crap, a goal and not from the first line. Finland 3-1.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Went for a shave and they score just as I get back.

UmSjQ.gif

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
It remains to be seen whether I'm being pessimistic or realistic, but I have a feeling he and his line will not be able to save Finland against Russia and USA like they have against weaker teams. Russia and USA will be more able to shut them out effectively. For the first time in the tournament, we're going to need other players to step up.

The Americans haven't been very convincing so far, but on paper they should beat this team Finland. They had a much better squad last year though. Still, I'd be more afraid of Russia and what they'll do to this D. They also have the tools to hold off Kontiola & Co.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad