GDT: May 3 • Finland 4, Germany 3 (OT)

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
1st period was good, 2nd and 3rd not so.

Korpikoski should be ready for the game on Sunday?

Absolutely! First period was really good. Great speed, good combinations and the germans had absolutely no chance. Only the finishing was bad. But after the first 20 Minutes it was just :rant:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
well 2 points is better then none since i doubt Finland gonna win Slovakia tomorrow or the other 2 big nations and i think our defence is gonna have a hard time against Austria's Vanek. Also imo USA is gonna win the group stage.

Of course 2 points is better than none, but we needed three. I'd rather not have them end up as the 4th seed in the group, which is a real possibility if they can't win countries like Germany without losing any points.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
This game was basically a sample of Mertaranta for those who don't have Max so he is probably told to be overexcited to potentially make more money for MTV3.

Lol... it was overtime game, were were even losing 2 minutes before end of 3rd.. ofcourse everyone were excited. You guys stop talking bs / bashing germany.. Why are finnish football fans excited when we play 1-1 spain or something even win england, because they shouldn't be with your logic?

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
Well, I'm not going to get my undies twisted by this years WC.

I'll be happy for every damn point in this tournament. Getting through from the group stage is an OK result and the rest is just extra. :surrender

ugrimugri*

well 2 points is better then none since i doubt Finland gonna win Slovakia tomorrow or the other 2 big nations and i think our defence is gonna have a hard time against Austria's Vanek. Also imo USA is gonna win the group stage.

Well, this win - turning the game around in the last minutes of regular time and a winning OT goal could just be what the doctor ordered for this Finnish team that is not full of quality players and most of them being extremely nervous for this home opening.

Korpikoski joining up tomorrow then, this is a big help too - they will probably not lose vs Slovakia, it's gonna be a OT win again tomorrow, I think.

The difference between a total fiasco and a pretty successful tournament is usually just a fantastic comeback in a game that almost was lost...

Now, imagine M Koivu would actually join to take over this team next weekend - then it really would get interesting ;)

Faerun

Nov 11, 2011
Helsinki
Of course 2 points is better than none, but we needed three. I'd rather not have them end up as the 4th seed in the group, which is a real possibility if they can't win countries like Germany without losing any points.

yeah 3 points would be nice but since the only way were getting to top 4 is by winning the whole group stage it doesn't matter are we 3rd or 4th and even if we got 3 points from this we still gotta win Slovakia what i find unlikely with this roster. To me 2 points were important to even get to the qualis

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Why are finnish football fans excited when we play 1-1 spain or something even win england, because they shouldn't be with your logic?

That's not exactly the same logic though. Those teams are much much... oh so much better than pathetic Finland in football. Any result that isn't embarrassing is a positive, and a tie or a win is a fantastic result.

Germany in ice hockey, though, is an opponent that Finland is supposed to win against every time. Yes, even with this roster. So excuse us if we're not too excited about a TIE (yes, a tie) against them. It's an OK result. I'm fine with it. But I will never understand people wetting their pants over an OT win like this against teams outside the top-6.

ugrimugri*

This team is no better on paper than the usual Latvian or Swiss team.

The Swiss team is said to be not that good this year, but the IIHF referees are having a hard time to give the swedes a win here vs the swiss

smi

Jun 14, 2011
I don't understand what's so upsetting in this result. Just by comparing the rosters, this should be a close game, which it was. Germany has a solid team with more experience in the World Championships than the Finnish team. I'm happy with the result, as before the game I thought it could go either way, really.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Lol... it was overtime game, were were even losing 2 minutes before end of 3rd.. ofcourse everyone were excited. You guys stop talking bs / bashing germany.. Why are finnish football fans excited when we play 1-1 spain or something even win england, because they shouldn't be with your logic?

I'm not bashing Germany, I actually like Germany. I personally feel that Mertaranta's announcing has became a bit more forced now that he is doing it for MTV3 and we all know those big bosses at MTV3 HQ want all the $ in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to hype it up a bit more to get viewers excited.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I don't understand what's so upsetting in this result. Just by comparing the rosters, this should be a close game, which it was. Germany has a solid team with more experience in the World Championships than the Finnish team. I'm happy with the result, as before the game I thought it could go either way, really.

I'm more than fine with a 1-goal win, but not with losing the point.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I don't understand what's so upsetting in this result.

Because we were against Germany.

Finland needs to be able to ice a team that can handily beat Germany in ice hockey. If they can't do that, then the team is not very good to begin with and has very little chance against the opponents we SHOULD be battling with for the world championship.

It's not acceptable to just take part in the games, when you are one of the most successful and consistent performer in the international level in the past 20 years. Being OK with having a roster that should on paper be equal to Germany, speaks of accepting failure. Why is our roster that crappy? Someone should be blamed, all the primadonnas who declined, and the management who did not put enough pressure on the players. Too much accepting and being ok with just participating.

Medals should always be the minimum goal for Finland, where you could just barely accept a bronze but everything else is a total failure.

And yeah I'm fine with a 1 goal win too, doesn't matter. Losing a point is the problem.

smi

Jun 14, 2011
If it was a best-on-best tournament, then yes, I agree we definitely should be able to beat Germany with ease. If it was a best-on-best tournament, we would be facing "just Germany".

But it's not. With the teams being what they are, we're facing a team Germany that is not a whole lot worse than our current team. In this tournament, with these teams, they're not "just Germany" to us.

Nobody's happy with this roster. But it is what it is, and there's very little I can do about it. I'm certainly not going to treat it as a roster that is far and away superior to the German roster and should beat them handily, because it isn't such a roster.

Last edited:

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site

Hi,

may be you don't know it, but Germany has a long, long, long list of injured players, who can't play at this WC: Jerome Flaake, Alexander Barta, Jochen Reimer, Christoph Schubert, Constantin Braun, Tobias Rieder, Kühnhackl, Sinan Akdag, Florian Kettemer, Dennis Reul

Spawnisen

Kaapo Kakko.
Feb 11, 2010
Finland
Hi,

may be you don't know it, but Germany has a long, long, long list of injured players, who can't play at this WC: Jerome Flaake, Alexander Barta, Jochen Reimer, Christoph Schubert, Constantin Braun, Tobias Rieder, Kühnhackl, Sinan Akdag, Florian Kettemer, Dennis Reul

Hi,

Yes this is the best team the Finnish National Team could possibly field....

:shakehead

Only the 1st line pretty much did anything worthy and as I said the Kukkonen - Melart pair is so horrible I can't believe they are allowed to be in the same line. And I'm a HIFK fan.

Three of the lines need to be switched around or they just have to perform better if we're gonna stand any sort of chance against better teams.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Hi,

Well, you can pretty much cut off the last five because they either wouldn't have made the team or are not very good to begin with. Still, Germany does indeed miss quite a few European-based players who are better than what is on the actual roster. It's not as bad as it is for Finland, but it definately weakens the team quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad