GDT: May 3 • Finland 4, Germany 3 (OT)

Gemini

May 12, 2011
What a terrible game despite the Germans handing out tons of PP opportunities. I hope the Finns tank and the US wins gold.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Ok they won :yo: but it was not a convincing victory, against stronger teams they have to improve their game a lot.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Some individuals, nice plays and a win, but overall that game was not pretty.

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
Seriously, what are the Finnish studio commentators and Mertaranta so happy about? Winning Germany in OT?

why is everyone bashing germany? they've played some really good hockey in past few years. we barely won them 2011 also.

tikkanen5rings*

Some of you seem to think we are in any kind of position to down play any of these opponents.
Have you guys seen our roster?

Finnsane

Oct 21, 2012
Seriously, what are the Finnish studio commentators and Mertaranta so happy about? Winning Germany in OT?

Because we have an EHT level team and besides we were about to get zero points but instead got two.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
SALMINEN, I'm okay with two points from this

I'm not. Any point losses outside the "big 6" are absolutely unacceptable, especially with a team like this that should be suited great for beating lesser teams, and very suspect to losing to anyone in the big 6.

Great to see Kontiola rise to the occasion though, there is some hope.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Some of you seem to think we are in any kind of position to down play any of these opponents.

I have. It looks exactly like a roster that should play their hearts out against teams like Germany because "we're in the world championships!!!" with their great effort and enthusiasm. And then lose badly against the Canada's and Sweden's because their routine level of play is higher than the ceiling of our guys's talent.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

This game was basically a sample of Mertaranta for those who don't have Max so he is probably told to be overexcited to potentially make more money for MTV3.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013

You could be right but is the roster mainly composed of players from the finnish league and KHL players?

tikkanen5rings*

This team is no better on paper than the usual Latvian or Swiss team.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
why is everyone bashing germany? they've played some really good hockey in past few years. we barely won them 2011 also.

Losing points against countries like Germany could end up mattering a lot in the end in this group system. You need to win these games cleanly. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather face the Americans in the QF than watch the team get roasted by the Russians.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
I never thought Pesonen could stand out, but in this team he is pretty good. SM-Liiga sucks.. Viitaluoma and Haataja should not be in this team. Replace them with ANYBODY and it'd be an upgrade. These guys are a disgrace

Faerun

Nov 11, 2011
Helsinki
Losing points against countries like Germany could end up mattering a lot in the end in this group system. You need to win these games cleanly. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather face the Americans in the QF than watch the team get roasted by the Russians.

well 2 points is better then none since i doubt Finland gonna win Slovakia tomorrow or the other 2 big nations and i think our defence is gonna have a hard time against Austria's Vanek. Also imo USA is gonna win the group stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad