Player Discussion Maxime Comtois (UFA)

Chris96LFC

Jun 26, 2020
If Im honest, id scrap most of that 2018 WJC team. Its likely all of them knew of the incident. Im sure they all have a snapchat group "2018 WJC 🏆 🏆 😎😎😎🤯🤯🍅🍅" or whatever. They probably all saw vids of the girl on the very night.

And yeah thats probably Nick too.
Nick Suzuki played in the '18 WJCs?

Reactions: Prairie Habs

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Don't think so. We already have 16 forwards that are all plausibly NHLers, Ylonen needs waivers, RHP probably deserves a real look, Pitlick is also still hanging around, guys like Heineman/Roy/Farrell might push for spots from the AHL, etc, just don't think there's really much upside there relative to what we already have.

That's setting aside the HC investigation entirely which is also a very good reason to stay away. Either way, making Hoffman disappear isn't really enough since that spot would go to Ylonen first. We'd probably need to get rid of Hoffman and at least one of Armia/Anderson/Dvorak to bother adding another player who isn't a clearly better veteran who we can flip for picks or a higher upside young guy than a Comtois type.

Oop wrong hab? Who was it then? Mete?
Yeah it was Mete. Suzuki didn't play in the WJC until 2019.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If Im honest, id scrap most of that 2018 WJC team. Its likely all of them knew of the incident. Im sure they all have a snapchat group "2018 WJC 🏆 🏆 😎😎😎🤯🤯🍅🍅" or whatever. They probably all saw vids of the girl on the very night.

And yeah thats probably Nick too.

Im assuming your talking about Suzuki? He wasn't on the team

Reactions: viceroy

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
if he wasn't a quebecois, would this even be a discussion? Nope.

Disagree...

He's a great buy low target that checks a lot of boxes of our middle-6 need IF he's able to make progress in his mid-late 20's.

- big, physical, defensively sound, skates well, has enough offensive tools to complement skill players but the ability to contribute effectively in a defensive focused deployment.

While we have a lot of prospect depth at forward, we skew heavily on the slight/playmaking side of things (Ylonen, Farrell, Roy, Mesar, Heineman Rohrer, Kidney et.)

Tuch is really the only larger framed forward prospect we have & he isn't particularly physical nor a lock to get even to comtois's current, mediocre level of NHL impact.

If Comtois isn't caught up in the hockey Canada mess, he's definitely a good target regardless of his last name.

Our logjam of forwards this season would require some moves to make room, but worth it imo

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Assuming he's clear of the 2018 scandal sure. Give him the same sort of contract as Lias Anderson. 2 way with high Laval salary. See if he can re-find his game. If not he ends up being a local guy for laval which is nice.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No.

Just Q guy that people were mad we didn't draft once upon a time, had a brief period of success, so we have to have him.

24, inconsistent, best year at 22 he put up good output with larger usage (.6ppg in 15min/game).

Big, good skater, skills to play on any line when playing well.

Good fit for low risk/high reward roll of the dice

Reactions: Puck Off

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Disagree...

He's a great buy low target that checks a lot of boxes of our middle-6 need IF he's able to make progress in his mid-late 20's.

- big, physical, defensively sound, skates well, has enough offensive tools to complement skill players but the ability to contribute effectively in a defensive focused deployment.

While we have a lot of prospect depth at forward, we skew heavily on the slight/playmaking side of things (Ylonen, Farrell, Roy, Mesar, Heineman Rohrer, Kidney et.)

Tuch is really the only larger framed forward prospect we have & he isn't particularly physical nor a lock to get even to comtois's current, mediocre level of NHL impact.

If Comtois isn't caught up in the hockey Canada mess, he's definitely a good target regardless of his last name.

Our logjam of forwards this season would require some moves to make room, but worth it imo

I know what you are saying, and I like players like this, but if he wasn't local I don't think his name comes up at all

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I know what you are saying, and I like players like this, but if he wasn't local I don't think his name comes up at all
Certainly wouldn't come up as much....

But I also think we will/should be targeting some RFA age forwards fitting that mid-6, grittier/versatile profile... available types will be inconsistent/struggling guys with untapped potential.

Kunin is another name I'm intrigued by. Not as big but plays a sound overall game with an edge to it.

With Newhook & RHP looking like the new top 9 additions, we're going to need to start prioritizing getting some balance into that forward mix

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
A power forward in the making if he put is **** together...if they dump Hoffman etc and IF Comtois had nothing to do with you know what, i would give him a one year contract

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hypothetical here, if Hoffman’s contract magically vanished today, would anyone be willing to take a flyer on Comtois? Seems like a similar reclamation project like Dach and Newhook. Unless there’s something I’m missing, I’m surprised no one’s picked him up yet. Perhaps he’s been confirmed to be one of the players involved in the 2018 world junior controversy?
We have enough to deal with on Mailloux

Reactions: viceroy

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Wasn't he the captain of that WJC team?
Pretty sure there are cliques in all these teams and they form in each respective league. Some of these guys have known each other for years. Captains of national teams don't have a lot of control on the troops.

Thats speculation at best and not much good comes from it. In this matter, ill think of the victims first.

It's not speculation at all, it's a sociological observation. I haven't cleared Comtois or anyone. I just know the literature quite a bit from having helped a victim.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Certainly wouldn't come up as much....

But I also think we will/should be targeting some RFA age forwards fitting that mid-6, grittier/versatile profile... available types will be inconsistent/struggling guys with untapped potential.

Kunin is another name I'm intrigued by. Not as big but plays a sound overall game with an edge to it.

With Newhook & RHP looking like the new top 9 additions, we're going to need to start prioritizing getting some balance into that forward mix

In the end , we are all going to regret not drafting Cooley anyways, the rest is just noise.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Saw him play in Anaheim this year. He has a very low, wide stance, not sure if his skating is up to par for what we're trying to do? Anaheim was terrible, so any offense they were able to muster came from Zegras and a bit from Comtois. Hard to judge him in that vacuum.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
There is zero chance that Molson would allow him to be signed. We saw his reaction to drafting Mailloux and Comtois will need to be completely cleared before Molson would even consider signing off on this.

Reactions: Runner77 and SOLR

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
There is zero chance that Molson would allow him to be signed. We saw his reaction to drafting Mailloux and Comtois will need to be completely cleared before Molson would even consider signing off on this.
I think this is most likely the case. No way they want more negative press than they already have. One per year is the quota haha

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
You had me at Hoffmans contract magically vanishing…

NHL is an old boys club and with Hughes being an ex-agent, 100% he knows the 8 involved, report will only outline their punishment

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Like I told my boy @Whitesnake when we spoke about Comtois, even if there wasn't the scandal, unfortunately there's no room for him.

We are stuck with a few contracts that need to be moved in order to make room for players Habs have internally, let alone signing another forward from outside.

If they bring him to camp on a PTO, sure, then we can see how things shake out. That way, you can simply release them from a PTO rather than being stuck with them on a contract.

Reactions: Habs4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad