Max Pacioretty

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Patches isn't a great driver, and he never had a good center in MTL. With Stone and Stastny driving the play, Patches is in a much better spot to showcase his talents.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Good for him. Who knows what it is. Maybe he's out there trying to prove people wrong for doubting him.

He and Eberle seem to be very similar this year. Two guys that peopled doubted, but are now making huge impacts.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I always thought Patches was in a similar situation to Phil Kessel. He is a complimentary winger who was the best scorer on weak offensive teams so was being asked unrealistically to carry the team. Just not going to happen. In the playoffs especially the opposing team deploys concentrated defensive schemes to shut down your top forwards (why 3rd lines often do so well), so that meant Kessel & Pacioretty who were not gamebreaking players, got absolutely smothered. Not difficult to see why they had trouble producing.

After what happened with Kessel on the much deeper Pens offence it's not all that surprising to see Patches doing better on a deep offensive team in Vegas. He probably could have had a bounceback year in Montreal with the upgraded offence surrounding him but it was probably better for everyone that he moved on.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
HF would generally say he wasn't worth the price tag because he disapeared in the playoffs. With his play so far, I think he's proving people wrong.

To be fair to those people, nothing he does now will make them wrong about the fact that at the time of the trade his playoff track record was poor.

I think who he's proving wrong are the people who obsess over which players are "playoff performers". It's the same sport in the regular season and playoffs. Good players are good players and most of the time poor performances in small sample sizes are a product of circumstance and bad luck, not some inability to play in "big games".

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
So far, he has surprised in the playoffs.
But, it is the Sharks and they suck for a month already.

So, let‘s wait and see.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I always thought Patches was in a similar situation to Phil Kessel. He is a complimentary winger who was the best scorer on weak offensive teams so was being asked unrealistically to carry the team. Just not going to happen. In the playoffs especially the opposing team deploys concentrated defensive schemes to shut down your top forwards (why 3rd lines often do so well), so that meant Kessel & Pacioretty who were not gamebreaking players, got absolutely smothered. Not difficult to see why they had trouble producing.

After what happened with Kessel on the much deeper Pens offence it's not all that surprising to see Patches doing better on a deep offensive team in Vegas. He probably could have had a bounceback year in Montreal with the upgraded offence surrounding him but it was probably better for everyone that he moved on.

Not sure how you can say kessel wasnt a game breaker. Was ppg in playoffs with both Boston and Toronto, and absolutely carried Torontos offense.

Say whatever yo want about effort or defense or whatever, an 80-90 point, 35 goal guy who can carry a line and come up in the playoffs is generally considered a game breaking talent.

Reactions: double5son10

razor ray

May 8, 2011
If the Sharks could get even average goaltending or maybe just not let a goal in the first minute of every period this series would be much different.

And it happened again last night. It also seems on the other end MAF is starting to hit his stride.

Regarding the OP everyone on that line has been outstanding.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

I think it's a good analyis but Kessel is more of a game breaker who can create his own shot. Patch cant. But clearly he's a smart player who can rip it. He's on a great line right now. Good for him. Vegas looks unbeatable right now and they were my pick for the Finals . Along with TB of course.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
If the Sharks could get even average goaltending or maybe just not let a goal in the first minute of every period this series would be much different.
The games would be closer but Vegas would still win.

And people love to point out "if the goal tending was different". Well it's a pretty darn important part of your team. How about allocating some resources there?

Reactions: Seven0two

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Not sure how you can say kessel wasnt a game breaker. Was ppg in playoffs with both Boston and Toronto, and absolutely carried Torontos offense.

Say whatever yo want about effort or defense or whatever, an 80-90 point, 35 goal guy who can carry a line and come up in the playoffs is generally considered a game breaking talent.

Perception in Toronto was that he wasn't so he was run out of town.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
In the playoffs especially the opposing team deploys concentrated defensive schemes to shut down your top forwards (why 3rd lines often do so well), so that meant Kessel & Pacioretty who were not gamebreaking players, got absolutely smothered. Not difficult to see why they had trouble producing.

While he only played 7 playoff games in Toronto, Kessel got 4 goals and 6 points; hard to say he was 'smothered' :laugh:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
To be fair to those people, nothing he does now will make them wrong about the fact that at the time of the trade his playoff track record was poor.

I think who he's proving wrong are the people who obsess over which players are "playoff performers". It's the same sport in the regular season and playoffs. Good players are good players and most of the time poor performances in small sample sizes are a product of circumstance and bad luck, not some inability to play in "big games".
Yes, I get what you are saying. The thing is his stats were worse then his actual playoff play. But most of the people having these kind of opinions either didn't watch him play (stats watching) or only had a short memory and only remembered his last playoffs agaisnt the Rangers.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
The games would be closer but Vegas would still win.

And people love to point out "if the goal tending was different". Well it's a pretty darn important part of your team. How about allocating some resources there?

Am I the GM? I was just making an observation.

Reactions: Phu

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It works out well for him when he's got the most complete winger in hockey currently and a guy made for the playoffs in Stasny carrying most of the major responsibilities. When Patches is only required to focus on offense he does very well. When you expect him to drive offense while playing a structured defensive game he struggles.

Stone/MAF MVPs for VGK so far imo.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He's actually disapointed me during the regular season so I am glad to see him having a good playoff stretch.

I am not in his head, but I think most people think the same: In Montreal, his problems were not his talent (he obviously is very talented), but I think his personality did not mesh with the role he had been put in. In interviews he gives off a very introverted vibe.

And next thing you know, the coaches name him captain ffs ! Along with being the best goalscorer by a mile (Gallagher was not scoring 30 5 years ago), it was just a shitshow for someone who was not a big public face

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He's actually disapointed me during the regular season so I am glad to see him having a good playoff stretch.

I am not in his head, but I think most people think the same: In Montreal, his problems were not his talent (he obviously is very talented), but I think his personality did not mesh with the role he had been put in. In interviews he gives off a very introverted vibe.

And next thing you know, the coaches name him captain ffs ! Along with being the best goalscorer by a mile (Gallagher was not scoring 30 5 years ago), it was just a ****show for someone who was not a big public face
FYI, the Habs players voted Pacioretty as captain. He was obviously respected in the room, but it became clear he lacked the temperament to actually lead people.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
FYI, the Habs players voted Pacioretty as captain. He was obviously respected in the room, but it became clear he lacked the temperament to actually lead people.

Ultimately the coaching staff during that time was plain dumb. Especially in Montreal the captain needs to be good with PR and likeable (personality wise). Pacioretty was nether ( with the fans) and they still decided to go for him.

That reminds me of when Luongo was named captain of the Canucks. Why did they have to go through all the drama of goalie-captain just to recognize him as the team's leader? A leader will lead, wether or not he has a letter on his jersey ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad