Player Discussion Max Jones

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Have always been a fan. Would like to give him a shot in the Pens bottom 6- would Anaheim move him? And for what?

I understand he’s likely not out there or even being discussed.
I don't know what the value would be, he's definitely not untouchable but also not someone the Ducks are probably looking to move just because. I'd imagine if he's moved it's either because it's part of a bigger deal or another prospect (or with our lack of depth a few prospects) are out playing him and forcing him out.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A few games here at the end of the season where he looked like a top 6 forward. Would be 'uuuge for us if he can stay healthy and build upon on that.

This year is the most games Jones has played in the NHL with 69. He only got 2 games in last year and lost a year of development. Before the 2021 draft (iirc), GM Murray cited that he only had two forwards who were willing to crash the net, Comtois and Jones. I don't mind being patient on Jones, who has always has a high motor (which is why he gets injured). His speed allows his usage to be versatile among the lines.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This year is the most games Jones has played in the NHL with 69. He only got 2 games in last year and lost a year of development. Before the 2021 draft (iirc), GM Murray cited that he only had two forwards who were willing to crash the net, Comtois and Jones. I don't mind being patient on Jones, who has always has a high motor (which is why he gets injured). His speed allows his usage to be versatile among the lines.
69? Nice

Bleak

Jul 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, CA
Thought I'd bump this.

Really been impressed with Jones in the third line role. Found his niche as an agitator that gets under players skins. Makes some solid plays and finds his way into dangerous scoring areas often enough.

His shot needs a little work -- though he could just been snake bitten. Overall happy with him

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Thought I'd bump this.

Really been impressed with Jones in the third line role. Found his niche as an agitator that gets under players skins. Makes some solid plays and finds his way into dangerous scoring areas often enough.

His shot needs a little work -- though he could just been snake bitten. Overall happy with him

He's been fine and healthy. There's really no reason he can't secure a spot in the every game lineup given his skillset.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Can't put my finger on it, but there's something different about him this year...

1701375343409.png

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Thought I'd bump this.

I think he'd be a solid third line / 4th line guy for the playoffs if the Ducks ever get there with him on the roster.

Works hard, loves the team. He isn't overly talented but hes got heart.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Sorry to bump a thread as an outsider but how has Jones been this year? Know he's on IR now but was a pet cat of mine years ago in the draft.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Sorry to bump a thread as an outsider but how has Jones been this year? Know he's on IR now but was a pet cat of mine years ago in the draft.
Same story the past few years. Has nice stretches where he's noticeable but can't maintain it consistently and ultimately winds up hurt. I like him, but I think he'll get non-tendered and wind up on another team's 4th line next year.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Same story the past few years. Has nice stretches where he's noticeable but can't maintain it consistently and ultimately winds up hurt. I like him, but I think he'll get non-tendered and wind up on another team's 4th line next year.
I agree. He is making too much money for what he brings to the table, and to qualify him the Ducks would have to offer him more. I would talk to him and see if he is willing to sign a one year contract at $1 million, which is probably more money for the same term that he would get from another team that wanted him for their 4th line.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think he could be a 40ish point producer/net crasher on a scoring line, but no coach seems interested in giving him that opportunity long term, probably for good reason. I love the guy but I think it's close to the end of the road for Max.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I like Max's personality... he seems to be a really popular character in the locker room (unlike the sour faced Comtois). He also brings the size and compete that our team desperately needs. Unfortunately, he is just so frustrating because he just hasn't been able to put it all together and find his scoring touch... he needs to go to Beleskey's shooting coach for help. He also gets plenty of injuries every year, and he isn't a pugilist, so it limits him to be more of a hustle/effort guy and less of a true nasty power winger.

I wouldn't mind an extension if it is very team friendly, super cheap like a 2 years x1.5M type of deal, but I can totally see Verbeek moving on from him. I just hope that if we do, that it's for a decent return and because he is eyeing a real upgrade and not planning on adding another Leason type like Zohorna. I haven't checked UFA for powerforwards but I think Trenin might be available and he's shown more production (although he hasn't been the same since he got pummeled a few times in his recent fights).

Reactions: Yemeth and lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad