Player Discussion Max Jones

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Jones scored his goals in juniors the same way Etem did, the only difference is Jones is willing to play physical and go in dirty areas consistently.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
His forearms looked like Popeye... But he also just got done working out in the gym at Irvine so yeah....

Too bad he can't fight for shit.... But he does bring physicality everywhere else.

Reactions: Kalv

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
His forearms looked like Popeye... But he also just got done working out in the gym at Irvine so yeah....

Too bad he can't fight for shit.... But he does bring physicality everywhere else.
You should hire a different person every day to show up to that gym to fight max By September, he’ll be ready to fight everyone in the league.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Jones does so many things right with absolutely 0 finish. I have to wonder if the early season injuries have affected him there, and whether or not a healthy season or 2 would see him score more often in his late 20s.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Jones does so many things right with absolutely 0 finish. I have to wonder if the early season injuries have affected him there, and whether or not a healthy season or 2 would see him score more often in his late 20s.

Zero finish, but a bull in a China shop has always been Jones' game. Losing last year might have prevented that growth for more, so this year is that year. This year, he is developing a nose for the puck. Maybe it might take him another year to work on scoring touch. Right now, I'm just glad he's out there drawing penalties with his speed and tenacity as well as crashing the net.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The Ducks can afford to carry either Jones or Leason to try to develop them, particularly this year. They can't afford to carry both.
Being irredeemably terrible means you can afford to do a lot of things that might hurt your on ice performance, from a standings perspective. No one better is being blocked by playing both of these guys and the hit (if any) to our performance is basically negligible. There's no real cost.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Being irredeemably terrible means you can afford to do a lot of things that might hurt your on ice performance, from a standings perspective. No one better is being blocked by playing both of these guys and the hit (if any) to our performance is basically negligible. There's no real cost.
Leason has no upside provides nothing. Regenda also a gentle giant shows some potential at least. Playing Drew who at least provides a trait the team is lacking makes much more sense. Verbeek simply is an anti enforcer gm doesn't matter who gets run, cheap shotted and bullied

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Leason has no upside provides nothing. Regenda also a gentle giant shows some potential at least. Playing Drew who at least provides a trait the team is lacking makes much more sense. Verbeek simply is an anti enforcer gm doesn't matter who gets run, cheap shotted and bullied
I don't know if he's anti-enforcer but he's said his preference is that every player takes care of himself and his teammates, in so many words. So things like Terry getting beat up or Gibson having to protect himself probably aren't going to motivate PV to get an enforcer.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I don't know if he's anti-enforcer but he's said his preference is that every player takes care of himself and his teammates, in so many words. So things like Terry getting beat up or Gibson having to protect himself probably aren't going to motivate PV to get an enforcer.
That would be fine if the team had some "team toughness" players mixed with the Terry's unfortunately instead he adds Leason and Klingberg
It's strange altogether with the style Verbeek played and he always had an enforcer in addition to tough players when he played. The only positive that's coming from this is its not working and if it keep going like this he will be fired

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
That would be fine if the team had some "team toughness" players mixed with the Terry's unfortunately instead he adds Leason and Klingberg
It's strange altogether with the style Verbeek played and he always had an enforcer in addition to tough players when he played. The only positive that's coming from this is its not working and if it keep going like this he will be fired
Verbeek will not be fired in his first 3 seasons as GM, barring some kind of Murray-like misconduct. It’s not how the Samueli’s operate. He will be given a fair shake to implement his long term plan. That’s why he was brought here.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Verbeek will not be fired in his first 3 seasons as GM, barring some kind of Murray-like misconduct. It’s not how the Samueli’s operate. He will be given a fair shake to implement his long term plan. That’s why he was brought here.
I'm not sure 3 years is safe. I think he gets this full season and if next year we haven't seen any improvement then things may start getting hot. That being said improvement after this year is not a high bar to set.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm not sure 3 years is safe. I think he gets this full season and if next year we haven't seen any improvement then things may start getting hot. That being said improvement after this year is not a high bar to set.
What GM has been fired after 2 years? Honest question

In any market

The turnover for Gms just isn’t as high as you guys think it is. It doesn’t happen often

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What GM has been fired after 2 years? Honest question

In any market

The turnover for Gms just isn’t as high as you guys think it is. It doesn’t happen often
That's probably fair. I feel like Buffalo and Philly have gone through a number but it is probably closer to 5 years before that kind of change is made. I'm probably projecting as I am just really not happy with how this year as gone and tend to put the blame squarely on him.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Verbeek will easily get 3 years minimum. This is year 1 of a rebuild because the last couple of years were handled so badly by the previous GM.

Just need to look at how little talent there is in San Diego right now (despite not having many young players on the NHL team at present) to see how bad things were handled. Unforunately this process should have begun when the Sharks swept us, but it is what it is.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hate to say it because he's well liked among the team but I'm starting to worry Jones is a spent cartridge, he's in the midst of his worst season so far after being hurt virtually all of last season. He's about as productive as guys like Leason and Megna who we claimed on waivers this season. I think Verbeek likely moves on from him soon.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Hate to say it because he's well liked among the team but I'm starting to worry Jones is a spent cartridge, he's in the midst of his worst season so far after being hurt virtually all of last season. He's about as productive as guys like Leason and Megna who we claimed on waivers this season. I think Verbeek likely moves on from him soon.
He's got a physical aspect to his game. As long as there is a 4lw spot available I think he stays. Even a 13th or 14th guy.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
There really isn't any pressing need to move him soon. He's signed for next year and it isn't like anyone is knocking at the door to take his spot. We also aren't competitive enough to require an upgrade.

But I agree in the sense that he probably is what he is at this point - a replacement level 4th line winger. I had high hopes he could be more than that after his rookie season based on his physical tools, but the injuries piled up and derailed his development. Hopefully he has some "intangibles" that will allow him to carve out an NHL career.

Reactions: Deuce22

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Have always been a fan. Would like to give him a shot in the Pens bottom 6- would Anaheim move him? And for what?

I understand he’s likely not out there or even being discussed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad