Prospect Info: Max Guenette RD 3 year elc signed

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Was nice to see him bring that confidence from his play in the AHL.

Too bad that pass from Joseph hopped on him, that was a gaping cage.

Obviously only the 1 game but his instincts certainly trend towards offensive opportunities - he was up supporting the play a lot but didn't seem to get caught too often.

Really encouraging to see that he didn't look out of place, particularly when Lassi and JBD aren't kicking the door down. Increased competition is growing.
Agreed. Small sample size for sure, but like you said, having that confidence to flex in the offensive zone was good to see.

Obviously it was the last game with now standing implications, but this team seems to want the D to activate, and it looks like he has that side of his game.

Agreed on competition, especially if Donovan also joins the group. That’s Max, Dono, JBD, Tompson, Kleven, and maybe the giant Swede as well, all looking to impress for a spot. Not exactly a top tier group, but lots to like in terms of potential there when you’re looking to fill out the last D spot in the roster.

Reactions: OD99

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If Kleven plays with Belleveille, him and Guenette are going to be carrying that D. Donovan and hopefully Homara play there too. When injuries happen, there'll be call ups, but it'll be nice for Guenette to build his game and keep on cooking

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
If Kleven plays with Belleveille, him and Guenette are going to be carrying that D. Donovan and hopefully Homara play there too. When injuries happen, there'll be call ups, but it'll be nice for Guenette to build his game and keep on cooking
Donovan isn’t eligible to play in the AHL next year, he’ll be back in Hamilton.

Hamara could play in Belleville, but given how bad he has been this season - don’t think he’s ready; honestly... I wouldn‘t be surprised if Kitchener doesn’t want him back either…

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
One of jbd or thomson will be there. They’re not both getting claimed. They’re both good to very good ahl d men

Agreed. Small sample size for sure, but like you said, having that confidence to flex in the offensive zone was good to see.

Obviously it was the last game with now standing implications, but this team seems to want the D to activate, and it looks like he has that side of his game.

Agreed on competition, especially if Donovan also joins the group. That’s Max, Dono, JBD, Tompson, Kleven, and maybe the giant Swede as well, all looking to impress for a spot. Not exactly a top tier group, but lots to like in terms of potential there when you’re looking to fill out the last D spot in the roster.
I wonder nordberg is actually playing. There were rumors he was coming over to NA last year that didn’t happen

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Then open your eyes this team has been unbelievably entertaining to watch & while they didn't get into the playoffs stilled play some great games. What's happened to you? You used to be very positive with the team & you've turned to the dark side just when the team looks like it is going to be a playoff team next yr. Almost every expert I listened to had them just miss the playoffs including the Vegas odds & that's exactly where they ended up.

Did you think they were going to make the playoffs this yr especially considering all the injuries & using so many minor league goalies? You know hockey, how could you think they would do better when they are dressing 7 rookies in games & playing with minor league goalies? I don't get it, only one team wins the cup & every other team is hoping for entertaining games so that their fans will come back the following yr & that is exactly what this team has done. They show great potential for the future, get back on the bandwagon, they will have a much better roster to start next yr than they had this yr.

I would agree with "partially" entertaining. I mean, the team has 39 wins out of 82 games... That's entertaining to a point...

I loved to follow players on an individual level (like I do for many NHL players) but on a team level? Not as much, but glad for you if you did. I was planning to spend a lot of money to go see some games down the stretch but after that road trip that started with that 5-0 loss to Chicago, I quickly changed my plans.

What happened to me? Nothing, I have always been realistic. But there's a difference between making the playoffs almost every year and having 85+ pts seasons and having to wait 7 years (maybe) before making the playoffs again...

Frankly, I have absolutely no faith left in the current management and coaching so hard to be positive. They certainly wouldn't manage my money/assets. Sucks because I like them personally, just not professionally for their current roles.

I was not necessarily expecting playoffs. It's the way they play, I didn't see any real progress outside of we added more talent. Seriously, we're one of the most talented teams in the league, but we still suck and no, it's not because of goaltending.

We could have a great season next year but if DJ Dorion are back at it, I'll have to wait and see lol

Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I just disagree that it has been too slow and honestly, I'm glad we will only have one year languishing in no man's land around the 17-22 spot in the final standings. We didnt bother building a solid squad until the core was ready and I don't see the criticism in that strategy considering that we now find ourself with some of the best young talent in the league. Heck, our best player is 21 and JUST had his breakout season and you could say the same for our captain.

Sens don't have a 1st round pick for 2 years now, and even 3 if you don't see Boucher as a 1st round pick talent.

We're talking about a team who has a result of Tyler Boucher in 3 drafts first rounds and has ZERO playoff berth to show for it. I don't think people realize how this never happens? Teams usually start trading their firsts when they are already winning.

There was absolutely no reason to NOT be more competitive in 2020-21, but instead this is what we spend money (AND assets) on :

Stepan 6.5 AAV
Murray 6.25 AAV
Dadonov 5.0 AAV
White 4.75 AAV
Anisimov 4.55 AAV
Zaitsev 4.5 AAV
Gudbranson 4.0 AAV
Tierney 3.5 AAV
Dzingel 3.375 AAV

Hard to find a 42 M$ better spent if your goal was to TANK but we picked Tyler Boucher with a 10th OA pick?

For me it's been slow, we have not been close to make the playoffs yet outside of maybe a week or two in February. Many of our players are approaching their mid 20's/late 20's and haven't even started to learn how to lose in the playoffs.

Yes thank Alfie, there's the 2019-2020 draft batch who are still young and could help us get above the competition

Had we built a better team sooner we only would have been knocking on the door for longer, and foregoing draft capital in the process. Nobody but Chabot would have been ready and if the fan criticism is to be listened to, Chabot isn't even a top 5 player on this team. I believe you've brought up wasting his best years a lot but how on earth were we supposed to build around that one guy? On the flip side there are 5 -7 excellent young players that we are building around now, as they are entering their prime, together. How do you clamour about wasting Chabot's years when we are about to optimize the years of so many others? You can't really have it both ways I'm afraid.

How? I mean, do you realize how much draft capital we have spent on terrible players? Or by mismanaging assets all the way? Or to gear up but finally lose? What would that have changed? I don't understand... You realize we drafted Tyler freaking Boucher with our last high pick?

But I agree more with the rest of your post. And the team could make up for most of the "wasted time" next year if they make the playoffs and win a round. That would be ideal

I'm just not convinced it could happen with DJ Dorion at the helm

A scorched earth rebuild that stockpiles enough talent to produce a potential dynasty takes either a generational player, or years to build. We didn't have the luxury of drafting a generational player so patience was the only option. I could care less about the Stepan's and Gudbransons along the way. Those are such minor things compared the core we have assembled, the contracts we have and the character that has been blueprinted.

I guess my question would be this. If this team wins a Stanley Cup, will it then all have been worth it? If the answer is YES than I would say everyone who is so viciously negative about PD and the rebuild and all that is being foolishly pessimistic before letting the process play out and that to me is pretty ignorant.

I just don't get it. With a few basic tweaks (goaltending + depth) we ALL agree that this team looks like it has the makings of cup contender. Isn't that something we should be celebrating?

Of course, but damn we have wasted so much draft capital it's crazy... We could have gotten better players from teams who would have given us a draft pick instead (Gostisbehere for example). This is mesmerizing to me.

If the team wins a SC, of course then all the suffering becomes worth it. How many years is their window though?

But that wouldn't change the fact that Dorion is a pretty bad manager at the NHL level. Asset management, pro scouting, lack of foresight, a lot has been really below average. He inherited an INCREDIBLE situation though so it's very possible that this team still wins in the end

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sens don't have a 1st round pick for 2 years now, and even 3 if you don't see Boucher as a 1st round pick talent.

We're talking about a team who has a result of Tyler Boucher in 3 drafts first rounds and has ZERO playoff berth to show for it. I don't think people realize how this never happens? Teams usually start trading their firsts when they are already winning.

There was absolutely no reason to NOT be more competitive in 2020-21, but instead this is what we spend money (AND assets) on :

Stepan 6.5 AAV
Murray 6.25 AAV
Dadonov 5.0 AAV
White 4.75 AAV
Anisimov 4.55 AAV
Zaitsev 4.5 AAV
Gudbranson 4.0 AAV
Tierney 3.5 AAV
Dzingel 3.375 AAV

Hard to find a 42 M$ better spent if your goal was to TANK but we picked Tyler Boucher with a 10th OA pick?

For me it's been slow, we have not been close to make the playoffs yet outside of maybe a week or two in February. Many of our players are approaching their mid 20's/late 20's and haven't even started to learn how to lose in the playoffs.

Yes thank Alfie, there's the 2019-2020 draft batch who are still young and could help us get above the competition

How? I mean, do you realize how much draft capital we have spent on terrible players? Or by mismanaging assets all the way? Or to gear up but finally lose? What would that have changed? I don't understand... You realize we drafted Tyler freaking Boucher with our last high pick?

But I agree more with the rest of your post. And the team could make up for most of the "wasted time" next year if they make the playoffs and win a round. That would be ideal

I'm just not convinced it could happen with DJ Dorion at the helm

Of course, but damn we have wasted so much draft capital it's crazy... We could have gotten better players from teams who would have given us a draft pick instead (Gostisbehere for example). This is mesmerizing to me.

If the team wins a SC, of course then all the suffering becomes worth it. How many years is their window though?

But that wouldn't change the fact that Dorion is a pretty bad manager at the NHL level. Asset management, pro scouting, lack of foresight, a lot has been really below average. He inherited an INCREDIBLE situation though so it's very possible that this team still wins in the end
Yeah good point too. There’s Dorion of this year and then there’s the Dorion that legit thought Stepan and Murray were taking us to the next level. And I mean he traded seconds for them. Those are picks that can be traded for other guys lol.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah good point too. There’s Dorion of this year and then there’s the Dorion that legit thought Stepan and Murray were taking us to the next level. And I mean he traded seconds for them. Those are picks that can be traded for other guys lol.
Except neither of those guys were supposed to take us to the next level.

We still wanted to tank when we had Stepan, we just wanted his leadership.

Murray was supposed to solidify the goalie position.

As always these things come down to perceived value of draft picks. It’s an age old debate :)

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Except neither of those guys were supposed to take us to the next level.

We still wanted to tank when we had Stepan, we just wanted his leadership.

Murray was supposed to solidify the goalie position.

As always these things come down to perceived value of draft picks. It’s an age old debate :)

The assets sent off for Murray weren't the problem. The problem was that he was hugely overpaid on too long of term, he couldn't stay healthy which caused problems for the other goalies in the organization and he was wildly inconsistent when he was healthy.

Assen na yo!

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The assets sent off for Murray weren't the problem. The problem was that he was hugely overpaid on too long of term, he couldn't stay healthy which caused problems for the other goalies in the organization and he was wildly inconsistent when he was healthy.

Assen na yo!
Pretty much this. If Dorion wanted to gamble on Murray, sure, but don't sign him to a deal that makes him paid in the top 10.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Assen na yo!
Yeah, I was fine with a second for Murray's rights, there was upside to that trade, but the contract was awful and you can't separate the two.

Reactions: Cosmix and OD99

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol "we still wanted to TANK"

Makes a lot of sense considering we decided to draft Tyler Boucher with a 10th OA pick, one of the biggest 1st round REACH in recent history

If THIS isn't proof that some are willing to do ANYTHING to defend current management...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Huh? it was a COVID year and they picked him because they wanted him at 10.

They we’re not trying to win that year…. Not sure why some people struggle to listen and process what the guys who made the decisions say about them.

Weird what some fans will do to stay perpetually cynical and bitter and wrong.

Reactions: Snowwy and aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's not about being cynical, it's about not being blind and gullible

There's no chance in a million years that Pierre Dorion would be able to sell me an used car. I don't take whatever he says very seriously outside of our prospects maybe

No team really tanks but when they realize that's what they're doing, they're not going to draft a 2nd round talent with a 10th OA pick, duh

There was absolutely no reason to start a 56 games season with a 2-12-1 record. We could have started to learn what it is to play "meaningful games" that season. Our rebuild is 2 years delayed by sheer incompetence.

But let's be happy with that!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well I for one and happy that we have people manning the walls so that I can sleep safe and sound each night, oblivious to the true dangers out there.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yes and, no. He was sent down today with Golum in order for the team to be cap compliant.

He is the 7th D, for now. I hope he gets a lot of time in Belleville and when needed, comes up ready to go.

It's not great to go with a 20 man roster but top pairing minute in Belleville would be great for him and Kleven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad