Speculation: Max Domi's upcoming contract extension

How much should Domi make on a long-term contract?

• Total voters

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He's already been bridged at 3.15M. This would be a second bridge, bringing him to UFA status. Not great asset management because a player that feels jaded and eras around 5M, can well wait until he is an UFA to move his arse out of town for absolutely nothing.

If I get offered a 2-yr bridge, I insist on a full NMC if I'm Domi.

NMCs are for unrestriscted free agents

It would defeat the entire purpose of restricted free agency if they would be able to get those clauses.

I mean, this should be obvious, but for you....

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I think a short term deal and a hold and see pattern on Suzuki and KK is the most prudent move. Doubly so with the cap uncertainty. But if those guys are able to push Domi to the wing than the time will have come to make a move as I find he's woefully ineffective from the wing. But we've been so dry at the position for so long that we've really got to make sure that those guys are capable first.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

It would defeat the entire purpose of restricted free agency if they would be able to get those clauses.

I'm pretty sure he'd be eligible for one starting the 2nd year as I think it's a UFA year.

Edit: UFA year may actually be 2022.

Double Edit: Definitely 2022 so no movement clauses unless it's a 3+ year contract.

Last edited:

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I'd do 5.75 x 8 if he wants it, I think it's a fair contract. His case is not that different from William Karlsson, both settle to be 55 points players. Obviously Karlsson is a center and great defensively, but when you factor in the markets, both should have similar contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

I much prefer having Domi on the wing. Suzuki and Danault are better down the middle, and ideally KK will be too in the next year or two. Domi on the wing would be much better for the team, but based on last season, he seems to really stop trying as hard when put in that position. :dunno:

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

I much prefer having Domi on the wing. Suzuki and Danault are better down the middle, and ideally KK will be too in the next year or two. Domi on the wing would be much better for the team, but based on last season, he seems to really stop trying as hard when put in that position. :dunno:

Does he stop trying or is just not very good at it? Either way, it was the same in Arizona so I feel like it's unlikely to change.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Domi below on playing centre and wing:

It’s a different game totally,” Domi said. “You have a lot more options in the middle of the ice, you touch the puck a lot more, you’re more engaged, you’ve got more speed in certain areas of the ice whether it’s for a breakout or a regroup, whatever it might be. In certain areas you’ve got to be a little bit lower, a little bit more responsible so you might lose out on an offensive chance here or there. But that being said, then all of a sudden you get an opportunity that you wouldn’t get if you were playing on the wing. With our system, really all three guys on that line, we’re all responsible. First guy back has to go low and then you fill in. So it’s more or less all three of us really interchangeable as a line. I think faceoffs are one thing as a centreman that you’ve really got to figure out – possession is such a big thing in the game nowadays – and it’s something that is very difficult. It’s a skill that’s some of these guys have done their whole life, so trying to play catch up with that is something that I’ve been trying to work on, whether that’s in practice or watching guys or asking guys like Nate Thompson or some of the older guys who have taken some serious draws against the best in the league and have been successful. That’s how you learn. So you pick their brain, and I’m trying to do that whenever I can. And then slowly get better and better as much as I can and I guess as quick as I can. So like I said, I enjoy playing centre.

“In terms of what would suffer on the wing, it’s kind of a catch-22, I guess. For me, personally, I like having speed, I like having the puck. There are certain times when you’re playing wing when you feel a little flat-footed and you might not have the puck as much. But, again, there are lots of wingers that counter that in certain ways. Once you get more comfortable and more used to playing on the wing, whether it’s left or right, and your linemates, you figure out ways to kind of make that work in another way. So I guess the answer to your question is it’s a totally different position, you’ve got to adapt and it takes time. But when you’re jumping back and forth, you kind of lose that groove. So if you want to play wing and you want to stay there and get better, obviously to master that craft you’ve got to do lots of reps and work on it day in, day out.”

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I'd prefer a real top center and then Suzuki, Danault and KK can fill the other spots the way they want.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Does he stop trying or is just not very good at it? Either way, it was the same in Arizona so I feel like it's unlikely to change.
I mean, it could be both, but he definitely appears to be in less effort. If the coaching staff wants to play him at centre in offensive zone starts and on the wing in the defensive zone, I guess that could work. I like Domi as a player, and we need someone who can put up points which he has been able to do for the Habs, but he annoys me so much at times.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Suzuki is going to be better, Kotkaniemi is going to be better and we will need to draft someone better than those two to be our 1C.

There's no room going forward for Domi at C if we want to win a cup, so either play wing and shut up, or go somewhere else. It's just funny the media and fan base seems to make plenty of excuses for Domi's attitude when good soldiers from Europe got panned significantly harder for significantly less.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
As a fan's opinion based on what ? Domi have said today that he would like to play all his career with the Habs . Funny ...
I posted my statement a month ago. Long before yesterday... I was commenting on his obvious frustration on the ice, production, and line selection. “Funny”? More like ironic...

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Good point. I have to shake my head at what I was thinking. Thanks for pointing it out.

If there is a stalemate in negotiations, Montreal could go to arbitration (if they think Domi would get less than he is asking for -- and it will be hard to imagine how an arbitrator may rule with the virus pandemic affecting revenues) and it would be their call to ask for one or two years binding.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
When did Lucic return anything but another cooked player when he was cooked?
You said no one wants him, not he’ll fetch us not a good return.

And 19 goals for Neal in 55 games is hardly considered cooked.

Drouin could easily fetch us a a second pairing D, Drouin has not lost a step nor has his skill level diminished, if anything, it has room to grow.

Everyone and their grandma know dann well Drouin will bring you back a good piece.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You said no one wants him, not he’ll fetch us not a good return.

And 19 goals for Neal in 55 games is hardly considered cooked.

Drouin could easily fetch us a a second pairing D, Drouin has not lost a step nor has his skill level diminished, if anything, it has room to grow.

Everyone and their grandma know dann well Drouin will bring you back a good piece.

No, he won't. Most young players who are getting traded to their third team don't get a good return. If you want to move Drouin for a defenseman, you can, but you're gonna get like.. Vlasic, a bad contract and a, now, bad defenseman.

No one wants a young player, going into his third team, who has character issues, injury issues, a big salary, and not very alluring production especially with the fact that he's atrocious defensively.

He's a Kessel on defense with the offensive production of Andrei Kostitsyn and the contract of a non-superstar top line winger.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Bergevin trading for a player and not knowing what to do with him is par for course.

Realistically if he can play top-6 LW at $6MM a year that could be pretty good value. However I’d MUCH rather pay Danault $6MM a year to be a longterm C as we let Suzuki and KK develop. If he doesn’t want to play wing I think he needs to go

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yzerman was able to rob Bergevin under much harsher circumstances given the expansion draft with Drouin, so his play when it comes to Domi should make or break him as far as employment. I’m all for keeping Domi, but one of him or Drouin has to go for a top 4 D around the same age and cap. Domi should be the one to stay obviously, but if the return is right, who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad