Speculation: Max Domi's upcoming contract extension

How much should Domi make on a long-term contract?

• Total voters

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
As we all know, Max Domi is an RFA this summer. He had an amazing first year in Montreal putting up 72 points while playing centre. This past season was not amazing for him. He ended up with 44 points in 71 games, spending time at centre and left wing.

Domi is a force on the ice when he's on his game. He brings much needed sandpaper to the lineup. He's only 25 and wants to be in Montreal.

How much should he make annually on a long-term contract? I don't think they would go the bridge route. I was thinking 6 x 6 might work. 6M AAV for Domi's first year would've been a steal, but it's a bit rich for this past season.

PP Subban

Nov 9, 2006
I’d definitely be ok with 6M AAV. Wouldn’t be surprised if it pushes up to 7M. A lot could come down to the cap situation after this stoppage.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He prorates to 51pts/82gamea this season and played with plugs most of the year.

He did not play as well as last year, but he couldn't be expected to playing by himself like he did.

He's worth 6M$ easy, especially for a guy who WANTS to play here and tolerates the pressure well, he deserves more than Drouin for sure.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
The thing with Domi, is I bet he has value even if he signs a 7M a year deal and sticks at a 45-50 point range. He has the bloodline at least a few GM's would respect and he is a clearly talented player. I'd sign him the more I think about it, but I would probably prefer to try and trade him for max value now.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Trading Domi would be stupid. I hope he stays a Hab for a long time.

If he is sign for 6-6,5M$ per, i don't have any problem keeping him. I like him alot. But if he asks for to much, i use him to get the top 4 lhd we desperately need.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Teams don't usually trade quality proven young defenseman for a forward. Sergachev for Drouin. JVR for Schenn. Larsson for Hall. What else?

IMO we're better off keeping him and trying to improve the D via UFA/veterans for picks-prospects/draft

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Teams don't usually trade quality proven young defenseman for a forward. Sergachev for Drouin. JVR for Schenn. Larsson for Hall. What else?

IMO we're better off keeping him and trying to improve the D via UFA/veterans for picks-prospects/draft

Johansen for Jones.

Reactions: Wats

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I would look at something like $6M x 6yrs with no trade protection

I'd do that deal at that cost and term, even with a flat Cap.

Still think Drouin has more upside but, looking forward to what playoff Domi provides.

I'd package Drouin, Byron and a 2nd for a young, talented LHD and keep Domi if that's possible. I believe that a contending team with depth on d might be amenable to such an offer. A top-6 winger with upside in Drouin, a deluxe depth winger in Byron who can play on the PK and a top-60 draft pick.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I'd do that deal at that cost and term, even with a flat Cap.

Still think Drouin has more upside but, looking forward to what playoff Domi provides.

I'd package Drouin, Byron and a 2nd for a young, talented LHD and keep Domi if that's possible. I believe that a contending team with depth on d might be amenable to such an offer. A top-6 winger with upside in Drouin, a deluxe depth winger in Byron who can play on the PK and a top-60 draft pick.

I think Domi and Drouin are very similar in terms of upside but I see Drouin being ahead of Domi's progression by about a year. He showed real maturity in his game this year, getting after the puck, putting ego aside. I really think Domi can do the same. The 2 of them together is just dynamic. I could see Domi-Suzuki-Drouin being a terror. They have to commit to playing the right way but I think that line could be dynamic. Domi and Drouin both have a big-game/gamebreaker thread running through them. We all remember Domi's WJC heroics, and Drouin was Tampa's best player in that playoff run. I hope the Habs manage to keep both. I don't think we're in a position where we should be trading away skilled young players with gamebreaking ability.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad