Player Discussion Max Domi - Overdue Hot Streak

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well it's further proof it's time for a big shake-up before they're all up for renewal.

Danault not happy. Domi not happy. Tatar and Gally not producing. And they're all up for a new contract soon

Something's gotta happen.

This would be good material for a new episode of the last dance: all these future hall of famers unhappy with their contracts and their roles - given the multiple consecutive championships they've just won and general regular season and playoff heroics they've put forth - and the thankless treatment they've been getting from management for all they've accomplished :sarcasm:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I like Phil Danault but if he Tatar and Gallagher are going to continue on as our first line then the franchise stays near the bottom of the league. I can't believe that he actually thinks that he is first-line material, does he not know about the production of other first-line centers in the NHL?

He is a third-liner on a decent team and nothing more, Suzuki and KK will have to lead the way for this team if we are to have any success if he can't accept that he needs to go.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Well it's further proof it's time for a big shake-up before they're all up for renewal.

Danault not happy. Domi not happy. Tatar and Gally not producing. And they're all up for a new contract soon

Something's gotta happen.

yeah if there's a time to do it. I don't know how big it will be but I can see at least two fairly significant moves.

I really think we'll keep Gallagher which I'm 50/50 on. Those other 3 I can see going especially Danault now.

This might actually be an interesting summer.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Am I missing something about Danault? What’s that about?

As for Domi, if he decided to show up for the playoffs we would have advanced. He was such a letdown. I’m ready to just move on if he’s not happy with being displaced to wing because of Suzuki and KK. Can we get a top-4 LHD? I don’t know, but I’d like to explore it and package something with Domi if we can swing it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like Phil Danault but if he Tatar and Gallagher are going to continue on as our first line then the franchise stays near the bottom of the league. I can't believe that he actually thinks that he is first-line material, does he not know about the production of other first-line centers in the NHL?

He is a third-liner on a decent team and nothing more, Suzuki and KK will have to lead the way for this team if we are to have any success if he can't accept that he needs to go.

Danault needs to be careful cause making demands is not going to go well with him. On most other teams if not all of them, he is a 2nd or 3rd line center.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Am I missing something about Danault? What’s that about?

As for Domi, if he decided to show up for the playoffs we would have advanced. He was such a letdown. I’m ready to just move on if he’s not happy with being displaced to wing because of Suzuki and KK. Can we get a top-4 LHD? I don’t know, but I’d like to explore it and package something with Domi if we can swing it.

Domi did not have a stable spot in our line-up all season long and that included the playoffs. His commitment to playing D is the issue and the Habs are also guilty with over focusing on his flaws and bouncing him around.

Danault is lucky cause of the opportunity that was created when Pleky retired. Domi don't have that option with Danault, Suzuki, and KK showing ability to play 200' games at center.

I'd take anything in a Domi trade if we got the right value for him. Trading him for 50 pts in potential is dumb IMO. Rather send him to arbitration for one year vs giving up on him and selling for low value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Might be forced to move both of them.

Not the end of the world if we do cause the returns won't all be futures. And I think Evans can survive as a 3C based on what we have seen from him so far. Habs are on the right track but we are not going to be contenders in the short span.

This is a great time to see who is selfish and who is not.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Domi will be the easiest to move.. there's not enough offensive opportunities around to give them to Suzuki/KK/Domi.. and I think the bridge is already burned.

We will see what happens with Danault, but it is likely an in season move if he complains about his role during the season and they can't progress on contract talks.

All this to say, things can change the minute someone offers you something you can't say no to for Danault.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Domi will be the easiest to move.. there's not enough offensive opportunities around to give them to Suzuki/KK/Domi.. and I think the bridge is already burned.

We will see what happens with Danault, but it is likely an in season move if he complains about his role during the season and they can't progress on contract talks.

All this to say, things can change the minute someone offers you something you can't say no to for Danault.

I'll admit I haven't watched Domi's defensive game as closely as I would like to by this point. But I have watched the Habs a lot over the last two years. So that he doesn't jump out to be as an irreparable defensive liability that can't progress in the defensive zone says something.

Could he not be a 3c just as Kadri is a 3c? A lot of offense, not the biggest C, but isn't a defensive liability. Players like Ovechkin, Federov, and Yzerman progressed a lot defensively throughout their careers. Why can't Domi?

Having said that, I think Domi has much higher trade value than Danault around the league.

Jul 6, 2016
No big medias are talking about that trade rumour with Calgary.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
I'll admit I haven't watched Domi's defensive game as closely as I would like to by this point.
I think he actually did better throughout the playoffs and season.

Players like Domi and Galli you have to let run a little wild. Yes, they are going to do some stupid things from time to time, but the upside is better than if you neuter them. I feel like Julien took all the fight out of Domi. It is not just the player but also the coaches responsibility to help and bring out the best in players. Domi this year under Julien was wasted talent.

Other players in his situation would be much more vocal and he has been pretty quiet about the whole situation.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
When im watching domi play. I would’nt want to play on his line. His linemattes are following their corridor lines and when they are in the zone and made an eye contact to domi for receiving a pass, domi continu to dangle and play for himself. And most of time. Lose the puck. So his linemates has to go back check. This is the worst feeling. Use your energy for back checking because you centerman decided to play selfish.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

Jul 6, 2016
When im watching domi play. I would’nt want to play on his line. His linemattes are following their corridor lines and when they are in the zone and made an eye contact to domi for receiving a pass, domi continu to dangle and play for himself. And most of time. Lose the puck. So his linemates has to go back check. This is the worst feeling. Use your energy for back checking because you centerman decided to play selfish.

IF Domi would accept to play on a wing, that problem would be solved.... But he doesn't want. He is thinking he can have another 72 points season at centre and get the big $$$ for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad