Value of: Max Domi in a hockey trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He isn't reliant on Shaw like McDavid isn't reliant on Draisaitl, but that doesn't mean they don't have chemistry and boost each other.
If he is a 70 point player he should be able to do that without Andrew Shaw. If all it takes is him losing a player like that to drop him back down to 50 points then he never really was a 70 point player. McDavid is a 100+ point guy with or without Draisaitl.

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
If he is a 70 point player he should be able to do that without Andrew Shaw. If all it takes is him losing a player like that to drop him back down to 50 points then he never really was a 70 point player. McDavid is a 100+ point guy with or without Draisaitl.
Probably, but is he a 120 point guy without him? Because if removing Draisaitl takes 20 points away from him, he never really was a 120 point player.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Well then trying putting McDavid on 3rd line with according minutes, with Lekhonen and Weal, let us see whether he gets 100+ point player. ;) We should call him to make the experiment ;) On a more serious note, McDavid is of course a much better player than Domi is, so he should have a greater impact on his own line also. If you are not happy with Domi being a 70 points player, let us not indicate a number of points.

Why does he play on 3rd line ? For me it makes no sense but I believe they want to increase Suzuki's confidence (like KK's last year) to show how good Bergevin's management has been for the Habs. In my opinion, Domi should be 1st line center in MTL because he is their best offensive center. Danault should be on the second line with the main job being to take care of opponent first lines, he is one of the best defensive centers in the NHL (once again in my opinion).

If you look at the past two seasons and keep in mind who his linemates were in AZ and MTL, you realize that he is a similar player to Lindholm and Monahan in terms of point production in CGY, which is not too bad. ;)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not being interested in Jenner comes as a bit of a surprise, as I vividly remember a rabid press of folks trying to take him off our hands not too long ago, but I suppose things sometimes change over time. :amazed: :D

As for Werenski... don't go there. ;) Available only for a legit #1C, and maybe not even then.

Jenner is a good depth player but Montreal has too many as is, especially at LW.

... Yeah, well, I shot my shot on Werenski. You never know haha.

I got the impression that part of why there's discussion of trading Domi at all is because he's an RFA and so contract situations might render ever even having said evaluation season a tad prohibitive.

Otherwise, fair enough.

Money or contract isn’t going to be an issue. The issue is we have too many LW/C. Even without Domi, our LW depth: Tatar, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Cousins.

C depth: Suzuki, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Thompson.

That’s a lot of talent/young talent and someone will have to go at some point. Most likely scenario is Tatar but if he stay and Domi is moved back to LW, who’s our 3LW? Is Cousins/Byron really going to get sratched? Do you play Lehkonen on your 4th line?

Again, that’s a lot of good/decent young NHL talent for limited roster spots

Reactions: Richard88 and Viqsi

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Jenner is a good depth player but Montreal has too many as is, especially at LW.

... Yeah, well, I shot my shot on Werenski. You never know haha.

Money or contract isn’t going to be an issue. The issue is we have too many LW/C. Even without Domi, our LW depth: Tatar, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Cousins.

C depth: Suzuki, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Thompson.

That’s a lot of talent/young talent and someone will have to go at some point. Most likely scenario is Tatar but if he stay and Domi is moved back to LW, who’s our 3LW? Is Cousins/Byron really going to get sratched? Do you play Lehkonen on your 4th line?

Again, that’s a lot of good/decent young NHL talent for limited roster spots

Agree to disagree: Domi is MTL's best center. Danault is a 2nd, KK and Poehling still developping. Suzuki should be the second line RW in my opinion (not because he is not bad in face offs that he should be a center)

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I’m know Habs fans won’t like it, the obvious deal would be Domi for Vlasic (with $1m retained). The hometown kid returns to Montreal and is reunited with Weber (they’ve been great together internationally). Montreal was heavily scouting Vlasic earlier this season and the Sharks beat writer, Kevin Kurz, recently revealed that Vlasic was willing to waive to go to Montreal.

The Sharks need to get younger and add to their top-6. Domi would bring an edge to that they're missing.

I’m sure everyone will blast this idea and say that it’s stupid, and that Vlasic is too old, and is declining, and is too expensive, etc. Doesn’t it feel like something Marc Bergevin would do?
.Complete garbage proposal. Weise for Hertl would be a fair comparison to your offer.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
As an outsider, I have to ask, how in the world did you come to the conclusion that Domi doesn't fit in with the Habs long-term? I see a guy who plays engage, uptempo hockey most of the time, who has recovered from the wrist injury that plagued him in Arizona and has embraced his role in the middle. He's the sort of guy the Habs should be building around. Like... was not expecting to see this sort of thread but it's HF were odd things sometimes wind up out in public view.
many of us hab fans have the same question..some real outliers in our fanbase :eek::help:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
.Complete garbage proposal. Weise for Hertl would be a fair comparison to your offer.
LOL can't find his post...so we're trading domi for 6 more years of pickles (till age 39) at 6 instead of 7 million? WOW THANK YOU.
i'm sure bergevin is in a rush to help wilson with his rebuild. gross offer

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I'm curious....how does your best center at the age of 24 not fit long term?

Yeah it seems to make no sense, but Domi's future long term is likely on the wing in Montreal. Or he gets turned into a trade chip to land a young, top 4 LD.

Nick Suzuki has come in and shown himself to be a reliable top 6 C with lots of room to grow. He's already better on faceoffs and in the D zone than Domi at 20.

Kotkaniemi is still seen as the other top 6 centre of the future. Yes, he's in Laval now, but many agree that he should absolutely still become a very good top 6 centre in relatively short order. He's 19.

Phil Danault does a great job as the matchup centre, taking important draws, playing against the best lines, etc. He's eventually going to slide down to the 3rd line. He can play a top 6 role until Kotkaniemi is ready to assume this role.

There's also Ryan Poeling, who is seen as a similar player to Danault that could be another option at centre, but is currently being transitioned/auditioned as a power forward LW.

Domi could and should be able to slide over to the wing and give the Habs a nice combo of skill and intensity, but there's some question if the Habs need another skilled winger more than a young, top D man.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'm of the opinion that the Habs should lock him up long-term, not trade him. Most Habs fans here seem to be on the same page.

We likely move Tatar and Domi stays on at LW able to sub in at C when needed.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'm of the opinion that the Habs should lock him up long-term, not trade him. Most Habs fans here seem to be on the same page.

We likely move Tatar and Domi stays on at LW able to sub in at C when needed.
It would be the likely scenario if we were rebuilding. But considering it is unlikely we actually are and considering MB’s history of 1 on 1 trades, I’d say there is a considerable chance Domi goes for a lhd and Tatar stays and resign here. But who knows ???

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Brodin is a UFA in 2 years. No thanks. Dumba is a UFA in 4 years and is a RD we don't need. Domi has two more RFA control years left and can be locked up 6+ years. Domi has more value than those two

Domi is worth more than that. Only deal I can see is Domi+ for Nurse+ in the off season. Both teams argue about the +. Both players are 24 looking for new contracts. That's the only type of deal the Habs would possibly consider if we trade Domi. And I'm not trading Domi cause I am desperate to trade him. The approach is we get a LD we need and we extend Tatar.

I'm not so sure about that. Except for Weber and Petry, they have Fleury, Brook and Juulsen. Romanov, Struble, Norlinder, and Harris all have greater upside

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I like to have him in Edmonton . Even if he is only a 55 point player he would fit on our first line

Domi McDavid Kassian

His points would probably jump by 15 to 20 playing with McD . I think Nurse is close in value but we can not afford to move him at this time as our other D aren’t ready to replace aNurse . Then there the fact he is McD best friend . Unless he prices his way out of Edmonton which of course lowers his value ( if he has crazy demands ) . I don’t see Montreal taking a package for him , Samorukov + 1st type of deal so it leaves Edmonton out .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not so sure about that. Except for Weber and Petry, they have Fleury, Brook and Juulsen. Romanov, Struble, Norlinder, and Harris all have greater upside

Depends on how long Weber and Petry are around I guess. Weber for 3 more years and Petry for 2? What if the Habs extend Petry for 2 or 3 years after his current contract? It's possible. I like Dumba but not at the cost of Domi. Wild fans can disagree but Domi > Dumba. I don't like Dumba's term left as well. 3 years of Dumba vs how many for Domi in his next contract?

And if you make that trade today, All Dumba does is block Fleury, Brook, Juulsen in the short term while Weber and Petry are still around. In 3 years, you likely regret that trade IMO cause Dumba is a UFA at 29.

If the Oilers are interested, I'd engage in Domi+ for Nurse+ and we can argue on what the + is for each side. If they are not interested? I'm fine with keeping Domi and I'm sure the Oilers would be fine with keeping Nurse. All I am saying is that is the type of trade I would be looking for... Both are 24 and need new contracts and have two more RFA years left.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like to have him in Edmonton . Even if he is only a 55 point player he would fit on our first line

Domi McDavid Kassian

His points would probably jump by 15 to 20 playing with McD . I think Nurse is close in value but we can not afford to move him at this time as our other D aren’t ready to replace aNurse . Then there the fact he is McD best friend . Unless he prices his way out of Edmonton which of course lowers his value ( if he has crazy demands ) . I don’t see Montreal taking a package for him , Samorukov + 1st type of deal so it leaves Edmonton out .

Domi +
for
Nurse +

We can look into it after this season ends. If you want to talk before the deadline, only thing the Habs can offer is Domi and a replacement for Nurse (Chiarot, Kulak, Mete types). If that is something you can value, we can talk about what add the Oilers put into it. If it's Chiarot, The add needs to be significant. In truth, Chiarot might be a good bridge to Broberg? Doubt Bergevin will trade Chiarot because that guy has been a beast for us this year. Big physical mobile D who moves the puck well.

I think Domi would fit well with RNH on your 2nd line, bump someone down to make your 3rd line better, and move Drai back up with McDavid.

Domi & Chiarot
for
Nurse, Lavoie, & 2021 2nd?

Not sure how the majority of Habs fans feel about this. I think it's close value but does both teams do this? :dunno:. Both the Oilers and Habs would have to have pre arraigned deals in place with Domi and Nurse though. Neither team would make the trade unless they knew what kind of contracts they have or are looking for.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think Max domi doesn't fit well in the long term vision of Montreal. It's risky to move a player like him, but I could see the canadiens move him in a hockey trade 1 vs 1 probably come draft day. What would you offer for Max domi? ONLY Propose 1 on 1 trades, preferably for a LD.
I am surprised to see a Habs fan bring his name up as a possible trade chip. I thought he was one of Montreal's key building blocks.

No interest in moving either Dobson or Barzal. Is there anything else Habs fans would consider from the isles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad