Confirmed with Link: Mattias Samuelsson Signs 7 year extension ($4.29M AAV)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Can Johnson be that guy?

Johnson is defensively responsible, yes........but he's more positional and stick-sound than he is physical.

There's also the question of if he can play the right side as effectively.....he hasn't done it since his freshman year.

And all of this is assuming he signs with us (which I am in no way discounting, unlike many)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
We had 2 Sabres teams this year. One with Cobra and one without. Him and Dahlin on the top pair for the next 7 years plus? And him at $4.3 mill per is as amazing as Tage's contract

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

It's a tired cliche but I was watching the Heat game when Tyler Herro broke his hand a bit ago and NBA Twitter is acting as though he sacrificed his life because he took a shot immediately after (it missed) before leaving the game. Frustrating to hear that and then see Samuelsson's going through worse with no credit.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why is this guy constantly hurt? What is up with his body? Will he ever make it through more than 80% of the games?
He blocks a lot of shots and plays a physical game.

The broken hand was from blocking a shot, for instance.

I've had to play through a bruised foot and a bruised hand this beer league season from blocking shots. I am sure I would have had broken bones if they were NHL level shots.

Reactions: Zman5778

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
He blocks a lot of shots and plays a physical game.

The broken hand was from blocking a shot, for instance.

I've had to play through a bruised foot and a bruised hand this beer league season from blocking shots. I am sure I would have had broken bones if they were NHL level shots.

Lots of guys in NHL block more shots than him and are good to go heck of a lot more than Samuelsson has been in his last 3 years or being a "pro"

Reactions: Jacob582

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Lots of guys in NHL block more shots than him and are good to go heck of a lot more than Samuelsson has been in his last 3 years or being a "pro"
I would love to know who you are comparing him to...

His rookie pro year, he played in 23 out of 28 Amerks games and in 12 Sabres games in the weird COVID season.

55 GP this year is less than ideal. But, he was asked about the injuries and his off season program, and he said that a lot of his injuries are things that S&C work doesn't exactly address, especially bruised/broken bones due to blocked shots.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I would love to know who you are comparing him to...

His rookie pro year, he played in 23 out of 28 Amerks games and in 12 Sabres games in the weird COVID season.

55 GP this year is less than ideal. But, he was asked about the injuries and his off season program, and he said that a lot of his injuries are things that S&C work doesn't exactly address, especially bruised/broken bones due to blocked shots.

I felt like he was hurt in Rochester in his first year there.

Then he gets hurt at prospect camp. Then later in year he missed more games.

This year he had multiple injuries too. Is this like 5 injuries in a 2 year span?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

This year he had multiple injuries too. Is this like 5 injuries in a 2 year span?

If it were recurring soft tissue injury or a back/spine injury (which have high rate of recurrence).....it would most certainly be a problem.

But playing the style he does, broken bones and deep bruises are a way of life.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

His first year in Rochester he played in 23 out of 28 games.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
The guy has one more year to show he is worth this contract.

Only would cost the Sabres 715k for 10 years to get out of the dog crap contract. Dead cap would double if they wait till he is 26.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Anyone see this? Of course he is not responsible for the entire team but what happened that his play fell off?

1711216619935.png

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He's constantly dealing with injuries. The man is made of glass at this point. Hopefully, his luck turns around. He's a legit top-4 guy when healthy and playing confident.
I wouldn't say he is made of glass... its a result of the game he plays. He needs to learn how to block shots with body parts that have protection

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad