Confirmed with Link: Mattias Samuelsson Signs 7 year extension ($4.29M AAV)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

You. Don't. Sign. Players. To. Long. Term. Deals. After. One. good. NHL. Season.

I like Samuelsson as much as anyone. This is completely and totally unecessary.

Between this and Thompson, Adams is just gambling away cap space and hoping these are good deals in 3 years when he has no reason to. Just unforced errors.

Go look at Toronto with Zaitsev. Or Ottawa with Chabot. You don't go into these long term deals lightly.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
You. Don't. Sign. Players. To. Long. Term. Deals. After. One. good. NHL. Season.

Between this and Thompson, Adams is just gambling away cap space and hoping these are good deals in 3 years when he has no reason to. Just unforced errors.
its 4.25 a year over 7. He literally rolled the dice to save around $3m per year on term if he had another 1-2 good seasons he was getting 7 with the cap going up.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Son of Kjell!

1665584252359.png

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park

It's still relatively low-risk, in that if it somehow turns out to be an albatross they can buy it out at 1/3.

The more likely scenario is a value deal for your top pairing, top PK'er and best defensive d-man. With the cap going up, I think they're gambling now, to have a Stanley Cup-contending core locked in. I think we'll see similar early extensions for Cozens, Dahlin, Power, Quinn, etc.

Guy Tetreault

Dec 28, 2021
Québec, Canada
It's still relatively low-risk, in that if it somehow turns out to be an albatross they can buy it out at 1/3.

The more likely scenario is a value deal for your top pairing, top PK'er and best defensive d-man. With the cap going up, I think they're gambling now, to have a Stanley Cup-contending core locked in. I think we'll see similar early extensions for Cozens, Dahlin, Power, Quinn, etc.
Dahlin : 10.7 Millions X 7 years

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
its 4.25 a year over 7. He literally rolled the dice to save around $3m per year on term if he had another 1-2 good seasons he was getting 7 with the cap going up.

There are 19 LHD making more than 6M a year.

Samuelsson's upside, if we are lucky, is Brodin. Who didn't get his big contract until after a 6 year contract at 4.1.

We have a year until he's a RFA, while he's good, he hasn't been near Brodin's level yet. If he had a fantastic year, you could use Brodin's ELC contract to justify this deal.

To sign it now doesn't save any actual money, it simply is a risk the front office didn't have to take.

You don't give out seven year term deals to players after FIFTY FOUR NHL GAMES.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

Go look at Toronto with Zaitsev. Or Ottawa with Chabot. You don't go into these long term deals lightly.
What about his game makes you think he won’t be worth this contract? He doesn’t depend on his speed or his shot. He’s a defensively responsible dman that can eat minutes with Dahlin or Power and still move the puck pretty well. It’s a small gamble, but will likely prove to be a good one.

I’m also going to guess they know a lot more about the character of these players before handing out long contracts like this than we do as fans on a message board.

Reactions: Vito_81 and Onry

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Look, he’s a nice glue guy. Love him on a rookie deal. But seven years, locking yourself in long term to a guy with limited upside… this is ridiculous.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
There are 19 LHD making more than 6M a year.

Samuelsson's upside, if we are lucky, is Brodin. Who didn't get his big contract until after a 6 year contract at 4.1.

We have a year until he's a RFA, while he's good, he hasn't been near Brodin's level yet. If he had a fantastic year, you could use Brodin's ELC contract to justify this deal.

To sign it now doesn't save any actual money, it simply is a risk the front office didn't have to take.

You don't give out seven year term deals to players after FIFTY TWO NHL GAMES.
the dollar amount is irrelevant its cap%

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
What about his game makes you think he won’t be worth this contract? He doesn’t depend on his speed or his shot. He’s a defensively responsible dman that can eat minutes with Dahlin or Power and still move the puck pretty well. It’s a small gamble, but will likely prove to be a good one.

I’m also going to guess they know a lot more about the character of these players before handing out long contracts like this than we do as fans on a message board.

Fifty. Four. NHL. Games.

Nobody knows if he's worth a 7 year contract.

Reactions: stokes84

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Absolutely love this deal, I hated how we would bridge all of our young players and that's really cost us over the years. Sign them early to cheaper deals and it can very quickly turn into a steal. 4.29 mil for a top pair defenseman is a bargain.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park

That's another part of this. Samuelsson is another one of the players talked about in the "captain" mold, and has been a leader wherever he's been. I'd rather sign the alphas in the room that are core pieces at some sort of value. We wanted this organization to be less reactionary, and now we get that and some folks need to complain.

Another one that I'd personally sign long-term right now is Asplund. See if you can lock him up at a reasonable cap hit before he gets more Selke votes this year. Stock on forwards with that kind of defensive acumen is only going up as well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Fifty. Four. NHL. Games.

Nobody knows if he's worth a 7 year contract.
This is how you get guys signed to long term, team friendly deals.

You have to roll the dice.

I have been on the MattSam bandwagon since he was drafted and a lot of people were skeptical because of the skating and the fear that he was too slow to be a modern top 4 D.

I think those concerns are long gone. At least they are for me.

The only question with MattSam for me is his durability because of the style of game he plays both being physical and eating pucks.

This is one of the most baffling contracts I’ve ever seen. Impossible to justify.
Having a top 4 D making less than $5M against the cap is a good deal. That is how you justify it.

The Sabres are betting that Sam-Dahlin is a pairing for a long time.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Love this deal

Gambling? As in careless spending? I thought they were cheap penny pinchers?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad