Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
:dunno:

SmartSelect_20240202_003602_Photos.jpg

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
No worries KA signed him to a 7 year deal despite never scoring an NHL goal.

Because clearly Sammy is here to score goals. :rolleyes:

It was a dumb contract. You don't give a player a 7 year deal before they play 70 games. Especially when there are no external factors such as a tight salary cap forcing your hand. There was no upside with that deal, just a shit ton of risk.

It was nearly as dumb as the Power deal.

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
It was a dumb contract. You don't give a player a 7 year deal before they play 70 games. Especially when there are no external factors such as a tight salary cap forcing your hand. There was no upside with that deal, just a shit ton of risk.

Especially dumb when you consider what he is... a defensive D-Man. How much are you even saving if he demonstrates he is really good? I mean, Slavin is at 5.3, Cernak at 5.2, Pulock at 6.1... these are all proven guys. Sabres locked up an unproven low output guy without any real saving potential (he is never playing on the PP, never going to put up big points which gets people paid). I get Thompson, I get Cozens... calculated gambles. Sammy just does not add up.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I get that but they could all be good ones if the players put in off-season work and perform on the ice. Right now all of those early risk contracts look horrible.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Judging long-term contracts in year one when the Sabres are playing bad. It's what a damaged/abused fan base does. Maybe we can start judging after a 2-3 year consistent trend develops...nah...too rational.

Tell me the comps for a top 4 defensive (likely bottom pair on a good team) d-man who is 3 years out of UFA?

It's kinda of a hard comp to find. Brett Pesce signed a 6 year, 24M with 1 year left on his ELC.

The difference being Pesce had 150+ games logged.

Samuelsson had 54 games logged.

There was literally nothing Samuelsson could have done during that season to earn a larger contract that what he got. He would have suddenly had to become an offensive dynamo. There was zero reason to do that extension when they did it.

It was a dumb contract the minute it was signed. It was a "well we hope you are good, he's guaranteed money just in case"

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
His contract should age just fine. His contract is also tradeable. He remains my dark horse to move if Adams wants to send a shock through the cozy locker room.

Trading him with futures for a better D might be the way to improving the top 4. Another team could be up for swapping a more expensive top pair guy for a younger cheaper near-replacement.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Judging long-term contracts in year one when the Sabres are playing bad. It's what a damaged/abused fan base does. Maybe we can start judging after a 2-3 year consistent trend develops...nah...too rational.
What a bad take.

What's worse:
judging a contract as a fan after one season, or giving one out as a GM after less than one season's worth of games?

Sounds like you'd pick the former, which finally explains everything you've posted up until now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd be curious to break down his metrics with and without Dahlin since there have been plenty of times where Dahlin has been ass and everyone on the ice pays for it. They have not played well together this year unlike the last two.

Mattias now having had yet another injury is starting to remind me a bit of Tanev - a very good defensive defenseman who does things that wind up putting him out of the lineup 20-30 games a year.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
pretty sure Doak complained about it, along with just about any other contract KA signed players too.
He was signed prior to that season wasn't he? Also complaining about every single signing for an anti KA narrative doesn't count as a valid statistical opinion.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There were 0.0% of people complaining about his contract last year. Now its mental gymnastics to convince yourselves his not even high cap hit was never worth it.

As others have pointed out, you may want to search on Doak's post history. Granted, in his defense, he hadn't actually seen Samuelsson play to get why people were excited about how he was performing, so there is that.

• Haha
Reactions: SnuggaRUDE

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Tell me the comps for a top 4 defensive (likely bottom pair on a good team) d-man who is 3 years out of UFA?

It's kinda of a hard comp to find. Brett Pesce signed a 6 year, 24M with 1 year left on his ELC.

The difference being Pesce had 150+ games logged.

Samuelsson had 54 games logged.

There was literally nothing Samuelsson could have done during that season to earn a larger contract that what he got. He would have suddenly had to become an offensive dynamo. There was zero reason to do that extension when they did it.

It was a dumb contract the minute it was signed. It was a "well we hope you are good, he's guaranteed money just in case"
You can not like the idea of offering a long-term contract based on a short-term sample of games. That's a totally valid reason to be skeptical, but none of us know how good or bad the contract value will be in year one. Judging it in year one, when year one happens to be a shit season which, IMO, is at least half to blame for poor coaching, is just not very insightful. Clearly this team has more potential and can play better as a whole. When/if that happens under better coaching, suddenly a lot of opinions will change.

What a bad take.

What's worse:
judging a contract as a fan after one season, or giving one out as a GM after less than one season's worth of games?

Sounds like you'd pick the former, which finally explains everything you've posted up until now.
And you go and say, "hold my beer and watch this" with this post.

I never judged this contract one way or another. I can say the cap hit isn't terrible. I can say it might prove to be poor judgement. I can say a couple more things, but I can't say "It was a dumb contract" (quoting TehDoak) when it's not even past the first year. It's not possible to judge for now, and probably not for a couple more years either.

You go on with your usual caustic routine though. Go post some more ridiculous sweeping assumptions about what/how I post.

Reactions: Dingo44

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Anyone using contracts that were negotiated by Ron Francis as realistic comps needs to give their head a shake.

Francis has some hall of famer negotiating mind control super power. He gets his RFAs to consistently sign well below market value.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
As others have pointed out, you may want to search on Doak's post history. Granted, in his defense, he hadn't actually seen Samuelsson play to get why people were excited about how he was performing, so there is that.

Lol. While I had seen some of Samuelsson, unless he floating above the ice and melting goalies with his eyes night in and night out, signing a player to a 7 year deal with under 60 games played makes zero sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad