Mattias Öhlund

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Ohlund, Jovo and Salo were a pretty special big 3 during the early 2000's.

Jovo was often injured as with Salo in their prime.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I'm afraid to say you can count me as one of those ignorant fans who probably booed Lumme more than once during this time. It wasn't until later that I grew to appreciate what we had.
As my username suggests, I was always a massive Lumme fan, and always thought the knocks on his defensive game were overstated. I mean, he was seemingly the one guy who could even loft the puck out of the zone, particularly on the backhand. But more than anything, yes, it's nice to see thinking about the game has evolved to the point where the average Joe fan is much more likely to realize that a guy who brings the puck out of the zone on attack is actually doing far more for the defensive bottom line than a guy who snarls a lot and cross-checks the other team as they're setting up in your zone.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Ohlund is one of my absolute favorite players ever, but I'm a little skeptical of the idea that he could've contended for Norris trophies had it not been for his eye.

Even before the injury his power play skills looked pretty limited — he had that nice hard, low shot from the point and he moved the puck well enough, but didn't really have the same creativity you saw from guys like Sergei Gonchar or Teppo Numminen or even Rob Blake. I have a hard time imagining him putting up 40-50 points in the dead puck era, which seemed like the starting point for serious Norris consideration at the time. (With the occasional high-profile exception, like Scott Stevens.)

Anyway, doesn't matter much. Tremendous defensemen, certainly #1 on Vancouver's all-time list. That 2003 roster still makes me sad about what could've been if only we'd had halfway competent goaltending. Oy.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Ohlund is one of my absolute favorite players ever, but I'm a little skeptical of the idea that he could've contended for Norris trophies had it not been for his eye.

Even before the injury his power play skills looked pretty limited — he had that nice hard, low shot from the point and he moved the puck well enough, but didn't really have the same creativity you saw from guys like Sergei Gonchar or Teppo Numminen or even Rob Blake. I have a hard time imagining him putting up 40-50 points in the dead puck era, which seemed like the starting point for serious Norris consideration at the time. (With the occasional high-profile exception, like Scott Stevens.)

Anyway, doesn't matter much. Tremendous defensemen, certainly #1 on Vancouver's all-time list. That 2003 roster still makes me sad about what could've been if only we'd had halfway competent goaltending. Oy.

or Jovo. That guy is criminally underrated by our fan base.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
or Jovo. That guy is criminally underrated by our fan base.

Agree, meant to put him on the list but forgot.

I think Jovanovski gets underrated because he could be frustratingly inconsistent — often had stretches of lazy play, something you never saw from Ohlund. But at his best, when he was skating flat-out and rushing the puck up the ice and hitting everything in sight, Jovo was on another level. One of the best two-way defensemen in the league, easily. Too bad we didn't see that every night.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Agree, meant to put him on the list but forgot.

I think Jovanovski gets underrated because he could be frustratingly inconsistent — often had stretches of lazy play, something you never saw from Ohlund. But at his best, when he was skating flat-out and rushing the puck up the ice and hitting everything in sight, Jovo was on another level. One of the best two-way defensemen in the league, easily. Too bad we didn't see that every night.

We didn't call him Special Ed for nothing. At times, his mean streak and constant play were really good. Then he would tail off and be super lazy at times, forget his man and make some boneheaded penalty.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
It was a big shame that he didn't retire a Canuck.

If Mattias Ohlund and Willie Mitchell were around in 2011 instead of Keith Ballard and Andrew Alberts they would have won in the finals.

If Dan Hamhuis was around they might have won. :/

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Ohlund was awesome but we cut ties with him at the absolute perfect time. He dropped off right after his last season with us and suffered a long string of injuries all while having a pretty high cap hit and massive contract. Mitchell on the other hand would have been nice to keep for a while but he had some big injury concerns after the Malkin cheap shot. I really didn't want to lose Mitchell though, that one stung.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Ohlund was awesome but we cut ties with him at the absolute perfect time. He dropped off right after his last season with us and suffered a long string of injuries all while having a pretty high cap hit and massive contract. Mitchell on the other hand would have been nice to keep for a while but he had some big injury concerns after the Malkin cheap shot. I really didn't want to lose Mitchell though, that one stung.

oh yeah, i was heartbroken but it was definitely the right move. same with trevor when he was traded for mccabe and bertuzzi.

and obviously gillis was right to let salo go out to pasture to tampa bay too. garrison, not so much.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Thinking about best Canucks defensemen. What could Bieksa have been if the Achilles tendon injury never happened?

IMHO, his play prior that injury was pretty bad (on my recollection, REALLY bad). Course that isn't to say he couldn't have gotten better.

I wouldn't feel too bad about him...he got in the end a nice retirement contract in Florida. Wish we all could get that heh...

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007

Ohlund also had the ability to snipe a nice wrist shot from the high slot. I can recall him scoring a few where he floated down down the middle uncovered and beat the goalie high. I think he could have had Weber potential, just with a bit less offense, but a similar package of great defensive play with top pairing skill to boot.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
I feel ashamed to say that my knowledge of Ohlund is limited to this and this only:

The Swedish are coming! Run for ye lives!!!!

Run????!!!! :laugh:

The twins would let you punch them in the head while Edler just stands there and watches :laugh:

Ohlund is the only one there you have to run from

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
does anyone wonder whether edler would have ended up coming through more on his potential if ohlund had stayed another couple of years?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'd suggest that Edler's back problems likely played a part in that.

Definitely. The player he was before and the player after are very different. Back injuries are brutal. I have no doubt Edler could have been an amazing Dman. He'll likely break down faster and have a shorter career because of his back.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
IMHO, his play prior that injury was pretty bad (on my recollection, REALLY bad). Course that isn't to say he couldn't have gotten better.

I wouldn't feel too bad about him...he got in the end a nice retirement contract in Florida. Wish we all could get that heh...

He actually won 2 cups with LA first...then retired in Florida

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Ohlund is arguably the best defenseman to play for the Canucks, but that also is evidence that the Canucks have never had an elite player on the back end.

He was never the best player on the team, always overshadowed by the likes of Bure, Mogilny, Naslund, Bertuzzi, the Sedins, and even Kesler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad