Mattias Öhlund

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Just curious what you Canaucks fans think about Mattias Öhlund.

Is Öhlund considered one of the best Canucks d-mans ever?

Did he not bring a nice physical game together with good offensive skills and a strong defense?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
We recently did a vote on best Canucks defencemen of all time and Ohlund placed 1st.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Love Ohlund. Wish we'd been able to see the player he could have been without the early-career eye injury.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I only started watching around 2002 so I can't comment on best ever but he's the best I've seen in my time as a hockey fan. I think Salo and Edler could also be in that conversation at times but Ohlund was probably the most consistent best all around defenseman this team had.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I personally feel Ohlund is the very best Dman we have had to this date. He was an absolute rock on defense for our organization for years and years. What makes him even more impressive is that his character was just as strong as his play and that he recovered from a potential career ending injury early on that most players would have had a hard time with. I was, and still am, a massive Ohlund fan.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Thinking about best Canucks defensemen. What could Bieksa have been if the Achilles tendon injury never happened?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Agreed. If we had a few more years of 2009-11 Edler, I'd say yes. But this Edler doesn't really make that grade.

Yeah. Edler never was the same after that back injury a few years back. Who knows how things may have turned out. As it stands though, for me, Edler isn't even in the same league as Ohlund. Anyone who says otherwise makes me really wonder if they were round when Ohlund played for us. Ohlund was an amazing hockey player. One of my all time favorite Canucks.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Thinking about best Canucks defensemen. What could Bieksa have been if the Achilles tendon injury never happened?

Let's not forget that Ohlund suffered a very serious eye injury that a lot of players would have never recovered from. What could Ohlund have been if that never occurred. Bieksa was an absolute soldier for our club, but he was no Ohlund.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Anyone think Edler displaces Ohlund as the #1 in a few years?
Ohlund was much more consistent throughout his Canucks career.

Taking nothing away from Edler though.

I also think Lumme is behind Ohlund. Loved Lumme's game though.

It is interesting that off and on throughout his Canucks tenure, Lumme was a primary victim of the Canuck boo birds ('doesn't shoot enough on the PP', 'holds on to the puck too long', 'tries to get too cute with the puck', 'too many turnovers in the defensive zone', 'not physical enough' etc...)

Kind of tells you all you need to know about the hockey intellect of the average hockey fan who otherwise thinks he's/she's an expert.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
One of the annual HF boards top 50 dman lists had Ohlund ranked 11th or 12th...

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Let's not forget that Ohlund suffered a very serious eye injury that a lot of players would have never recovered from. What could Ohlund have been if that never occurred. Bieksa was an absolute soldier for our club, but he was no Ohlund.

Precisely.

Ohlund looked like Norris potential, until he basically lost most of his vision in one eye. Typical Canuck luck.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Just curious what you Canaucks fans think about Mattias Öhlund.

Is Öhlund considered one of the best Canucks d-mans ever?

Did he not bring a nice physical game together with good offensive skills and a strong defense?

Had a mean streak if you sufficiently provoked him; ask Koivu who tried to throw an elbow in the direction of his bad eye.

Best D the Canucks have every had.

I'm told that Anders Eldebrink had a pretty strong career in the SEL. Didn't play long enough for the Canucks for me to notice him.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Precisely.

Ohlund looked like Norris potential, until he basically lost most of his vision in one eye. Typical Canuck luck.

Yet he still went on to have a heck of a career. Along with skill, he had as much character and heart as any player I've seen.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Had a mean streak if you sufficiently provoked him; ask Koivu who tried to throw an elbow in the direction of his bad eye.

Best D the Canucks have every had.

I'm told that Anders Eldebrink had a pretty strong career in the SEL. Didn't play long enough for the Canucks for me to notice him.

Still remember that Koivu incident. Little POS more than deserved it. And yes, Ohlund was a much better and more consistent defencemen in his prime, easily better than guys like Jovo, Salo, Edler.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Edler is a better defenseman now than he's ever been. It's funny how people get mesmerized by points.

Ohlund was a great defenseman. I met him in Vegas one time, dude is huge. Looked like a linebacker more than a football player, especially next to Linden and Edler who were there too.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In his prime, Ohlund was every bit as good as Adam Foote in his prime, IMO.

Also, I agree that Edler is a better defenseman now than he ever was when he was flirting with 50 points.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Ohlund wasn't very good after the lockout when the NHL started cracking down on clutching and grabbing. His lack of foot speed was noticeable and he was exposed by faster opposition. He also wasn't very good at handling the puck and that started to show up with a ton of giveaways. If his name were Bieksa people would have roasted him to no end.

He was great pre-lockout though, and was a bit of a throwback defenseman. Someone who was tough, could hit hard and intimidate the opposition, and put up 20-30 points.

I personally think Lumme is the top Canucks Dman of all-time.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
He is also Jaime Lannister:

Cl64s2VWEAAO4Py.jpg

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I feel ashamed to say that my knowledge of Ohlund is limited to this and this only:

The Swedish are coming! Run for ye lives!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad