Confirmed with Link: Matthew Tkachuk suspended 2 games for elbow on Drew Doughty

Aug 3, 2010
Eh. About as expected on the high end. Kid has to learn not to pop stars until he becomes one himself.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, I thought 1-3, so two doesn't surprise me at all. It seemed really intentful and he got him on the button. First offence for plays like these seems to be 2 games.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
This league is a total joke. I hope to hell Murray Edwards has been carefully watching the league this season, so he can either work his behind the scenes magic and clean out Colin Campbell and Bettman (inserting burke), or alternately he could tell them to shove it next time they ask for help with cba negotiations. We get treated like the red headed step child while the idiot loser squad up north gets showered with Bettman's golden praise. Sickening

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I predicted 2 games. Fully deserved.

We're gonna miss him against Washington and Nashville

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The uproar on the main boards is insane. :laugh: Can't wait to see people flip their **** on a whole new level when Ferland becomes Playoff Ferland.

Anyways, two games is fine I guess. He's young and probably needs to learn this lesson anyways. May as well be now.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The uproar on the main boards is insane. :laugh: Can't wait to see people flip their **** on a whole new level when Ferland becomes Playoff Ferland.

It's mostly just Oiler fans. The same ones who are always chomping at the bit to rag on the Flames when the opportunity arises.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
2 games is what I thought, now the question is who comes up from Stockton, because with him and Ferland out we have no extra forwards for the first 2 games of this trip.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not surprised he got a suspension, because it was dirty. I did think he was gonna get off though because he's a rookie and I think Doughty oversold it and he didn't miss any time.

Not a big deal, it's to bad he's out for the next 2 games but I don't want him to change a thing in the way he plays. The games he's going to miss is worth what he earned from Doughty in the future. Love Tkachuk, what a beauty.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not surprised he got a suspension, because it was dirty. I did think he was gonna get off though because he's a rookie and I think Doughty oversold it and he didn't miss any time.

Not a big deal, it's to bad he's out for the next 2 games but I don't want him to change a thing in the way he plays. The games he's going to miss is worth what he earned from Doughty in the future. Love Tkachuk, what a beauty.

Unfortunately, this really hurts Tkachuk's chances of winning the Lady Byng this year.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I wonder what the lines will look like tomorrow.
My suggestion would be:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Chiasson
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer
Bouma-Familton-Lazar

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Two seems a bit much but oh well. Gives Tkachuk a breather before the playoffs.

They should call up Klimchuk or Mangiapane.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
To be expected.. The play was over the line, move on and learn from it.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Amazing how up in arms people are about this whole thing. I mean yes Tkachuk needs better awareness of where his elbows are, but I still don't see this as an attempt to deck Doughty in the face. The Lemieux thing during Young Stars? Dirty, absolutely, and unapologetically (also... hilarious). This? It's hockey. I swear, non contact sports have worse contact, I mean people need to youtube a reel of Karl Malone elbows... this is a love tap in comparison in a much more physical sport.

I'm not condoning elbowing here, and I'm not especially bothered by the suspension, but the way the play went still strikes me as more accidental as he didn't know exactly where Doughty was. And I don't buy the "he took his hand off his stick" part as indication of intent. He takes his hand off his stick often during cycle plays like that, he uses his other arm to hold the opponent off. It's cycling 101.

Anyways how should our roster look now with our two big boys out?

I would probably do:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Chiasson
Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer
Versteeg-Bennett-Lazar
Bouma-Stajan-Hamilton

Backlund is pretty much the only one who can revive Brouwer's perceived value before the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad