Confirmed with Link: Matthew Tkachuk suspended 2 games for elbow on Drew Doughty

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
He was lucky to only get two IMO. Dodged a bullet there. Hopefully Janko gets called up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So who gets the emergency call up? Klimchuk maybe? Or does Familton just step in?
Flames aren't eligible for an emergency recall. They still have 12 forwards. Freddie will slot in and I would assure Bennett plays the LW with Backlund and Frolik.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Guess Freddie and Lazar both get in.

Moving Bennett to Backs LW now? Freddie to centre the 4th line?

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I'm looking for:
JG/Mony/Frolik
Bennett/Backs/Lazar
Versteeg/Stajan/Brouwer
Bouma/Hamilton/Chaisson

just until Ferland and Chucky come back

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm looking for:
JG/Mony/Frolik
Bennett/Backs/Lazar
Versteeg/Stajan/Brouwer
Bouma/Hamilton/Chaisson

just until Ferland and Chucky come back

Chiasson just had a great game on the top line, why remove him now?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's a very similar play to Hall's elbow (which Hall admitted to doing because of a bad decision in the heat of the moment, IIRC), and Hall got nothing.

But I think Tkachuk got suspended because he's young and there has been smoke regarding his play this year, and now there's fire. Hall, on the other hand, had a long track record of clean play.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The uproar on the main boards is insane. :laugh: Can't wait to see people flip their **** on a whole new level when Ferland becomes Playoff Ferland.

Anyways, two games is fine I guess. He's young and probably needs to learn this lesson anyways. May as well be now.
What do you expect when most posters on the main board have the intelligence of a ham sandwich

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
What do you expect when most posters on the main board have the intelligence of a ham sandwich

I feel like that's degrading to all pork products. After reading what you had to respond to, I remembered why I don't post on the main boards anymore.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel like that's degrading to all pork products. After reading what you had to respond to, I remembered why I don't post on the main boards anymore.
I can only imagine the **** being spewed in posts I am unable to see

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was reading on the Score that Tkachuk said he isn't changing his game at all. I know it sucks he got suspended, but he earned space from doing that to DD. Wait until he gets stronger. Tkachuk is life!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I like that we have someone that finally toes the line. Yeah, in this case, he absolutely went too far but I think Fleury is spot on in saying this:

He's smart, Yeah, it cost him two games, but I'm sure it will benefit him down the road. The more room you get on the ice, the more you have to do the things you do best. By creating some unpredictability, you get more room

What goes unnoticed is the impact he has had on Mikael Backlund, who should win the Selke this season. Who goes in the corner, gets the pucks and has a physical presence on that line?. And (Michael) Frolik has nearly 20 goals (16 this season). Him and Backlund played together last year. Why is it different now?

A guy like Matthew Tkachuk can win you a series.

And Mark Spector surprisingly makes a good point too:
This, we know for sure: On any given opposing roster there are players who will be scared to play Tkachuk physically. Players who would stand in Gaudreau’s way, but will opt for the poke check when Tkachuk has the puck

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/theo-fleury-matthew-tkachuks-elbow-love/

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
:laugh: I knew I liked Theo for a reason. He basically said the exact same things that I did. I love that Tkachuk did that, I don't care if it was dirty and I think it's great that it was to Doughty. While Doughty called him dirty, he went onto say that he does the same things and what was surprising is that he's doing that kind of stuff while only being 19. It was practically a compliment.

I also commented on the "earning space" which Theo also made reference to. And it's 100% true, you think Doughty or anyone else is gonna ride him like that knowing their liable to get an elbow and possibly a concussion if they play him that way? Or if they play him to close they might get slew footed? I know a lot of people around here and fans in general don't like that stuff, but I grew up watching that and I bloody love it. What Sid did the other day was "legal" and that's a way larger problem than what Tkachuk did to DD IMO. I love having a player like Tkachuk, he's going to be a hated player and a targeted one, but he's built for the playoffs and someone you that will win a championship with.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Theo has an excellent point about how Tkachuk has allowed Backlund and Frolik to step up their production. Backlund has obviously helped Tkachuk make a smooth transition to the pros, but that line is completely symbiotic.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
While Doughty called him dirty, he went onto say that he does the same things and what was surprising is that he's doing that kind of stuff while only being 19. It was practically a compliment.

Yeah that's how I interpreted it too. I got the feeling the media was trying to spin it as a war of words to create drama, but I read it as a compliment from Doughty who is one of my favourite non-Flames to watch. Or maybe I'm just being a homer :laugh:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Yeah that's how I interpreted it too. I got the feeling the media was trying to spin it as a war of words to create drama, but I read it as a compliment from Doughty who is one of my favourite non-Flames to watch. Or maybe I'm just being a homer :laugh:

Yeah, if not a compliment, then certainly he wasn't being critical from the sound of it. He was very much like "this is how hockey goes, and I'm surprised he has the balls to play so hard as a young kid."

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

That was exactly what they did and always will do. The most famous example of this was the Allen Iverson "Practice" sound bite. There was a ton of text that never got any media play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad