Prospect Info: Matthew "The Bison" Coronato (13 Overall 2021) - Signed to ELC

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Guy will score goals in bunches eventually. Probably not this season, maybe not next season, but dudes just way too good of a goal scorer not to. If Sutter is still around next year, this is another example of a player he is just going to love as well. All hustle with a good 200ft game.

I’ll get torn apart for saying this, but it’s a shame he’s not eligible to play in the AHL this year. Guy has to learn how to adapt to pro hockey, learn a system he’s never experienced before, and be ready to to play in a league that’s levels above what he’s used to. There’s almost a zero chance he factors into a game until we are mathematically eliminated and for good reason. Guys like Pelletier and Duehr have been playing our system and pro hockey for multiple seasons now, expecting a similar level and instant familiarity from a much younger and MUCH fresher Coronato is foolhardy. Would have been much better if he could adapt in the AHL while learning pro hockey and our system, while also being on a team prepping for a deep push in the playoffs this year. Joining a team that’s playing do or die hockey from the get go is a rough place to be in.
Why couldn't he play AHL?
I was also thinking it would be better. I just wasn't sure if he was going to be gifted an NHL spot, and with the Wranglers looking to make a deep run that could be great experience for him. I figured he'd get a couple games with the big boys, but would be AHL bound.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Why couldn't he play AHL?
I was also thinking it would be better. I just wasn't sure if he was going to be gifted an NHL spot, and with the Wranglers looking to make a deep run that could be great experience for him. I figured he'd get a couple games with the big boys, but would be AHL bound.
I think he is ineligible for the AHL playoffs not being on the roster at the deadline.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Compared to a couple of his Harvard mates, Matthew contract was larger.

Farrell LW/C - 5'9", 175 lbs, 53 pts, 2 way deal 1.2 AAV 897K Cap, 80K AHL
Coronato C/RW - 5'10" 183 lbs. 36 pts, 2 way deal 1.5 AAV 925K Cap, 80K AHL
Thrun LD, 6'2" 190 lbs. 31 pts, 2 way deal 1.0 AAV, 912K Cap, 70K AHL

Coronato's deal has higher performance bonuses (850K in years 2 and 3).

I like how Tre has structured this. Higher perhaps as an inducement to sign, but certainly a carrot for performance. I am not sure what the performance milestones are though.

Excellent signing and it should put the hand wringing by some of the fan base to rest. Until they add in unreasonable performance expectations for the kid to get us into the play-offs.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He could of played in the AHL if he signed an AHL only contract I believe. But since he didnt do that to burn a year off his entry deal, its NHL only.

Happy to see him sign. Even if its only to practice with the NHL team this year.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Compared to a couple of his Harvard mates, Matthew contract was larger.

Farrell LW/C - 5'9", 175 lbs, 53 pts, 2 way deal 1.2 AAV 897K Cap, 80K AHL
Coronato C/RW - 5'10" 183 lbs. 36 pts, 2 way deal 1.5 AAV 925K Cap, 80K AHL
Thrun LD, 6'2" 190 lbs. 31 pts, 2 way deal 1.0 AAV, 912K Cap, 70K AHL

Coronato's deal has higher performance bonuses (850K in years 2 and 3).

I like how Tre has structured this. Higher perhaps as an inducement to sign, but certainly a carrot for performance. I am not sure what the performance milestones are though.

Excellent signing and it should put the hand wringing by some of the fan base to rest. Until they add in unreasonable performance expectations for the kid to get us into the play-offs.

It's most likely because he was a 1st round pick and not a 4th rounder like those two.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Huberdeau isn't stapled to him by 2025 this organization has failed miserably. Top 3 LW passer in the league, right handed shooting RW prospect who scores goal. Name an easier duo to use as linemates.

Hopefully this guy is the lost RW top 6 stud we've been missing since Iggy, doesn't need be 650 goal Iggy, but a solid goal scoring RW would be dope.

Reactions: flames23

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Tbh I don’t buy that he’s ready for nhl action. He needs a year of seasoning at least, but I’ll be happy to be proven wrong
Checks games remaining. We are unlikely to accidentally Sam Bennett his development and blow his confidence.

Give him a cup of coffee this season and then some AHL development before full time NHL. :)

Reactions: Nanuuk

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
His hattrick in the berth-clinching game will have the tankathoners pulling at their clothes and gnashing their teeth.
thats only because he did it with Lewis and Lucic as his linemates and in 6 minutes of ice time.

• Haha
Reactions: Roadrage

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I bet they are just giving him the NHL experience , travel and practice with the team to see how he meshes and adapts to the lifestyle . With them being in such a tight run to get in the playoffs they won't shift the starting lineup too much .It's likely the only way he gets minutes is if they get eliminated or manage clinch a spot before the final season game .

Reactions: Nanuuk

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
I bet they are just giving him the NHL experience , travel and practice with the team to see how he meshes and adapts to the lifestyle . With them being in such a tight run to get in the playoffs they won't shift the starting lineup too much .It's likely the only way he gets minutes is if they get eliminated or manage clinch a spot before the final season game .
Yep drive the goon squad right into the 16th overall pick! This is the way!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad