Matthew Knies

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Remember Keefe sucks so bad he didn't start Knies in the playoffs last year, Knies got in because of injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaner8989

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Where the hell was this version of Knies all season? He's been a beast the last two games!

Personally, I think it has a little to do with the college -> NHL transition.

In College, they play 40 games a season; primarily if not always on weekends. In the USHL, it's 50 games; presumably also primarily on weekends.

An NHL season is a grind. There is no 4-5 days off to let your body and mind recuperate before the next string of games.

Reactions: Menzinger

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I always remember watching other teams in the playoffs, have this rookie or second year player, have a coming out party, and establish themselves as a star in the NHL, I seen that with Knies the last 2 nights, that guy is becoming a player! feels good for sure

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Giants have this thing where they always have to learn to play with here size. When they're young growing up they're always told to reign it in cus they'll hurt others and that kinda sticks.

I have this take cus Shaq was saying his dad told him he can go off during the court and before he was told that he'd play softish.

All this to say, when knies realizes he's the biggest dude out there.....watch out

Reactions: Kazparov

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He's playing at a higher level at the perfect time.

Even earlier in the series, he was pushing and playing and skating really HARD. Not to mention the physicality.

He has to work on his vision and positioning offensively to be star, but he has a lot of great tools.

He's going to make a great LW for Matthews on the 1st line.

Reactions: authentic

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
We’ve witnessed Knies come to realize how well his game is suited to big boy hockey and how impactful his size can be.
There are so many positives to his game right now he’s probably exceeding everyone’s expectations, not just mine. He’s playing such a smart and complete game on both sides of the puck. Great job protecting the puck, battling relentlessly in all 3 zones, physicality, having good reads and reactions and doing all that while maintaining discipline.
There is one thing I’m noticing that may end up trumping all those other positives though and that is that I’m seeing some leadership qualities from the kid already.

Reactions: arso40 and Kazparov

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Looked like he hit a rookie wall late in the season. And then he woke up again and has been an absolute force in the playoffs. Looks like he got 10% bigger too. Breakout performance so far and that pass to Willie on the GWG was so skillfull.
Fans tend to overlook the challenges of playing a full 82-game schedule, with all the travel, frequency of games/practices, and what that has on a young player - especially a college prospect.

Thought it was interesting that most of his best performances this season came after he was rested - looks like someone who has benefited massively from the extra periods of rest between some games this season.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
He knows the only way to avenge that KO behind the net by Bennett and those slimy Panthers… help us dispose of the Bruins tomorrow and then personally beat down Bennett himself.

Knies has gone from playoff rookie to playoff warrior in one year.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
We’ve witnessed Knies come to realize how well his game is suited to big boy hockey and how impactful his size can be.
There are so many positives to his game right now he’s probably exceeding everyone’s expectations, not just mine. He’s playing such a smart and complete game on both sides of the puck. Great job protecting the puck, battling relentlessly in all 3 zones, physicality, having good reads and reactions and doing all that while maintaining discipline.
There is one thing I’m noticing that may end up trumping all those other positives though and that is that I’m seeing some leadership qualities from the kid already.
He's got future C potential for sure

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Best thing Dubas has done
Maybe this is one of those supposed moments that Shanahan stepped in and made sure he was picked, and it wasn’t a Dubas pick at all……?

See Dubasites, the pendulum swings both ways….. ;)

****Disclaimer****

This post was for the sole purpose of making some Dubasite’s grind their teeth :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad