Matthew Knies

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
The way he separates the defenceman from the puck with his body and his effort level....special. I just wasn't aware that he has some serious skill to go along with that determination.
He almost reminds me of a more aggressive and less skilled Matthews. But he tries super creative plays and I’m very impressed by that facet of his game too. When he really hits his prime he’s going to be one of the most unique players in the league!

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
He almost reminds me of a more aggressive and less skilled Matthews. But he tries super creative plays and I’m very impressed by that facet of his game too. When he really hits his prime he’s going to be one of the most unique players in the league!
Excellent observation. Both Arizona boys are elite at stripping pucks and working along the boards. Must be their development program and the fact they use only half the ice to practice. When Matthews is on he’s got that dogged determination that Knies brings every shift.

Reactions: TMLife17 and arso40

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
I'd definitely like to a Farabee type extension this summer

6-8 years in that 4-5M neighbourhood, even if the point production isn't sexy, I would make the gamble long term on Knies.
I was thinking more like the Alex Tuch contract which was signed with Vegas at about 6% of the cap for 7 years with Tuch accruing a season & a half of experience.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Excellent observation. Both Arizona boys are elite at stripping pucks and working along the boards. Must be their development program and the fact they use only half the ice to practice. When Matthews is on he’s got that dogged determination that Knies brings every shift.
I've read it has to do with the lack of space on the ice at the time they were younger; forced them to play tight quarters and be able to control pucks really cleanly (reminds me of the whole Brazilian kids playing soccer in tight quarters in the Favelas which turned them all into excellent dribblers)

Reactions: TMLife17 and banks

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I've read it has to do with the lack of space on the ice at the time they were younger; forced them to play tight quarters and be able to control pucks really cleanly (reminds me of the whole Brazilian kids playing soccer in tight quarters in the Favelas which turned them all into excellent dribblers)

Also synthetic ice iirc

Reactions: WillNy29

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Agree. I remember on vacation once playing against Argentinians on the sand and they were masters at retrieving the ball or stripping you of it. They all used the same technique and man was it effective.

Reactions: WillNy29

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What is your guys predicted stat line for Knies within a few seasons with TO? I'm always intrigued about the guy and some Leaf games I watch, you can definately see the potential and he looks awesome but then many games I struggle to really notice him.

His current stats are...
33gp. 8g. 6a. 14pts. +4. 21pim. 58hits.

I'm curious what you guys think he will eventually become.

Right now he's averaging just over 14 mins a game with minimal amount of PP time and PK time. Will he eventually be a 2nd pp type guy?(obviously will be tough to crack that #1 pp) ...Will he be more of a pk type guy?

What's your thoughts??

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
If JT doesn't resign at the end of next season (and maybe even if he does) I could see Knies taking his spot at the bumper on PP1.

Reactions: TMLife17

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Been a rough couple weeks for him. After the playoffs last year and how he started the season I had higher hopes for his production, but seems to have hit a bit of a wall.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like he needs a break physically and some technical development in the AHL at the same time. But that's not uncommon for a kid his age.

Reactions: hullsy47

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
This is the most games he's ever played in a season, he's run out of gas. Might not be the end of the world to give him a few nights off and get Robertson in the lineup.

Knies will be better for it in the future.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He definitely needs to get used to the conditioning of the pro level..the most games he's previously played in a single season is 44 (when he was with the ushl).

Having him sit the odd game wouldn't be the worst thing to get him a bit of a break

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
If everyone tried like Knies we’d glide into a cup win easily. Kids a f***ing real gamer!

If all you needed to do was try, I'd be a billionaire, he's not effective, case closed. The most he has ever played in a season is 44 games, he is at 42... he may be hitting a wall.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If the excuse is that a 21 year old professional athlete is out of gas playing the ice time he does then I have a bridge to sell you.

He doesn’t look bad out there and he engages a bit b physically which the leafs desperately need.. but Knies is accomplishing very little. Probably needs more time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad