Prospect Info: Matt Puempel & Stefan Noesen

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So what do people think about these to right now,
has their stock fallen? risen?

I believe both of them had injury problems after their draft year, and noesen had some discipline problems aswell.

Puempel was the best pure goal scorer avaible in the draft, almost ppg in his last season with the rangers, led them in goals, but was 3rd in team scoring for his lack of playmaking only had 12 assists with 35 goals.

Noesen, looking production wise had an off regular season, but then he had beast playoffs, after Vincent trochek he was plymouths second most valuable player,

basically what i am asking is do you guys think there gonna help the sens soon? how soon? if not why?

TheOriginalSilf*

So what do people think about these to right now,
has their stock fallen? risen?

I believe both of them had injury problems after their draft year, and noesen had some discipline problems aswell.

Puempel was the best pure goal scorer avaible in the draft, almost ppg in his last season with the rangers, led them in goals, but was 3rd in team scoring for his lack of playmaking only had 12 assists with 35 goals.

Noesen, looking production wise had an off regular season, but then he had beast playoffs, after Vincent trochek he was plymouths second most valuable player,

basically what i am asking is do you guys think there gonna help the sens soon? how soon? if not why?

Both had pretty strong showings this season. Puempel regained a lot of form even though the Kitchener Rangers underachieved/struggled. Noesen was fantastic with Plymouth and was on quite the tear leading up into the playoffs if I can recall. Plymouth as a whole started the season off slow, so I wouldn't worry too much about it taking him some time to get going.

If I were to guess, I'd say that Noesen has a better shot of reaching the NHL first. His game could suit the bottom-6 and we could see Noesen enter as a great energy line player. If he can evolve past a third liner and into a bonafide top-6 player in the future, I'd be thrilled. Very excited about Noesen. I'd expect to see him play in Bingo next year for the entirety of the season.

Puempel wouldn't suit a bottom-6 role. He's either top-6 or bust. The organization seems high on this kid and if he can become a consistent player, I see no reason that he can't become an effective scorer in the NHL. He's the type of offensive caliber prospect that this organization is greatly appreciative to have at this point where we don't have a ton of "boom or bust" prospects (in terms of offensive output). I would also expect to see him in Binghamton all of next season. I wouldn't expect to see Puempel in an NHL jersey for at least 2 more years.

SensTopLine

Mar 6, 2013
Quebec (Province of)
Hey I'm RickMercer4PrimeMinister!

They both make will the team at the same time, as Richards & Carter and Getzlaf & Perry did. It'd be too early to get a crack at it for the 2013-2014. I say they both make the line up 2014-2015 on opening night. Both will score around 10-15 goals each in a 75-82 game schedule. Then watch them sky rocket the next season or 2 later. It's a weird pattern that happens almost every time.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They will be interesting to watch this yr in Bingo to see how they progress & develop. Whether they will help Ottawa this yr or not remains to be seen, I would imagine they only get games in Ottawa through injuries. IMO there are a few guys ahead of them although you never know who BM/Maclean decide to call up.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

They both make will the team at the same time, as Richards & Carter and Getzlaf & Perry did. It'd be too early to get a crack at it for the 2013-2014. I say they both make the line up 2014-2015 on opening night. Both will score around 10-15 goals each in a 75-82 game schedule. Then watch them sky rocket the next season or 2 later. It's a weird pattern that happens almost every time.

It's happened so often for us eh.....

R2010

May 23, 2011
Of course not. We've never drafted more than once in the first round until their draft year. And we took 3 of 'em.

Not sure what will happen with Noesen - seems like a beast but I'm somewhat skeptical the scoring will translate but I have no doubt he has a good chance of being a 2nd liner and is a guaranteed 3rd liner at least.

I feel Puempel is not as "boom or bust" as people think. The guy is too good of a shooter to not play in the nhl even if it means as a 3rd liner who scores 15 goals a year. He could score 30 goals if his skating improves.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Personally I would just be happy if one paned out completely and the other is just a little below expecations, i would be ecstatic if both panned out, and we get our Getzlaf and Perry.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Noesen is the more safer pick. While Puempel has much more offensive BOOM potential.

Noesen at his best could be that perfect player we've always needed inbetween the mold of Brown/Callahan.

A 50-60 point top 6 forward with grit, hard-working 100% motor and intangibles for days and who steps up his game in the playoffs like it's nothing.

Puempel could be that top-line pure scoring threat we've always wanted, dynamic in the offensive zone.

I thought Puempel fell off a long way until I seen him in Bingo where I was really impressed by his game and seen that scoring touch and offensive prowess in the limited playoff games. He improved his 2 way game muchhhhhh more than previous memory which bodes well for him getting an NHL job.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
we're going to park them in the AHL all season and see what they do. Luke should force them to round out their defensive games a bit too.

There's no rush for either of them. The sens are fine right now. Let them develop in the minors, detroit style, and bring them in when they are ready.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
we're going to park them in the AHL all season and see what they do. Luke should force them to round out their defensive games a bit too.

There's no rush for either of them. The sens are fine right now. Let them develop in the minors, detroit style, and bring them in when they are ready.

Noesen's defensive game is one of his best attributes. Real strong and aware defensively but I do agree a year in the A will do him wonders. I will guarantee Noesen will make noise in camp, pretty sure he was among the final cuts of forwards past couple of years.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Until they play against men we have no idea how good these guys can be. I'm cautiously optimistic but I certainly wouldn't expect either to have any impact at the NHL level for at least another year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Noesen's defensive game is one of his best attributes. Real strong and aware defensively but I do agree a year in the A will do him wonders. I will guarantee Noesen will make noise in camp, pretty sure he was among the final cuts of forwards past couple of years.

Still no harm keeping Noesen in the AHL for a year (or two) to work on the offensive side of things, too. That's one thing with some of these kids who are smart and have a good read on the defensive side of the game....sometimes, if you take your time developing them the right way, they can develop quite an effective offensive game, as well.

The Detroit model is definitely the way to go with these kids. :handclap:

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB

What?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
noesen will be a big help in ottawa a year from now. puempel, hard to say. he could struggle a bit in bingo this yr. (i don't see noesen having much trouble). Then again puempel could be a goal scoring machine within a week of the bingo season.

safe bet: noesen
still questions: puempel
both: on right track

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Those videos reminded me how upset I was on that draft day when we past up on Puempel and drafted Noesen. Murray still managed to get Puempel so it worked out in the end. It's funny though becuase as of today I would prefer Noesen over Puempel.

I wouldnt say either has seen their stock drop. I would say Noesen has seen his rise a little.

There's no need to rush these guy into the NHL. We have so many forwards ready to be in the lineup. Let them learn the pro game at the AHL level. I would say wait until the 2014/2015 before we expect them to be regulars. One or both should see a call up or two next season.

Calorissi

Jan 16, 2004
Manotick
Noeson will likely start in Bingo, but once he gets used to the increase in speed and finds his game there I can see him getting a call up to Ottawa sometime after Christmas and his game should translate very well to the playoff style. He is more than responsible defensively and will also elevate his offense in the playoffs because he is a battler.

I have been anxiously awaiting his time in Ottawa and can see him becoming a fan favourite quickly.

Puempel may take a little longer as he is a sniper and may have to get used to bigger and faster goalies in the AHL before he is ready to take that other step up to the NHL. But if he adjusts well he too could be a mid to late season call up. The offense he promises would be greatly appreciated in Ottawa as soon as he is ready.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Noeson will likely start in Bingo, but once he gets used to the increase in speed and finds his game there I can see him getting a call up to Ottawa sometime after Christmas and his game should translate very well to the playoff style. He is more than responsible defensively and will also elevate his offense in the playoffs because he is a battler.

I have been anxiously awaiting his time in Ottawa and can see him becoming a fan favourite quickly.

Puempel may take a little longer as he is a sniper and may have to get used to bigger and faster goalies in the AHL before he is ready to take that other step up to the NHL. But if he adjusts well he too could be a mid to late season call up. The offense he promises would be greatly appreciated in Ottawa as soon as he is ready.

Puempel skated extremely well in the AHL at the tail end this season. He was the only one in the short playoff series we had that put the puck to the twine. He is a deadly sniper based on what i've seen so far, very good accuracy on his shot and it's quick. I expect big things next year.

Everything I've been hearing about Noesen is that he's the better of the two, and if that's the case then I'm REALLY excited about watching this team that gets ice'd in Bingo next year. We just need a few centermen. If we get DaCosta back and/or Hoffman we will be sitting pretty. Otherwise, center is thin...

Calorissi

Jan 16, 2004
Manotick
Should be fun to see lines like this in Bingo next year:

Stone - Da Costa - Puempel
Prince - Cannone - Noesen
Cowick - Grant - Robinson

Hopefully Stone and Puempel light it up and gain the confidence to do it in the bigs.

SensTopLine

Mar 6, 2013
Quebec (Province of)
Spezza and Gleason were both Sens 1st rounders in 2001, though Gleason is a Dman.

I stand corrected.

Obviously I meant they will both make, sorry for the confusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad