Matt Puempel rounding out his game in Binghamton

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It was a bad decision. We'll have to disagree. I believe Detroit drafted two superior players with our second round picks. It's foolhardy to be trading two seconds for a first so late in the first round. Boone Jenner, Brandon Saad and Nikita Kucherov are other superior players we might have drafted in the second round of that draft had we not squandered our picks on Matt Puempel.

Lol brandon saad. Get saad on the Sens organization and I bet you see a very different player than the one being centered by Jonathan toews. Boone Jenner? We have a bunch of guys like Boone Jenner.

We needed goal scoring in our organization. That's what we drafted. It's one pick. It's not like it's the only draft to ever happen. We got plenty more to go. Actually. Were guarenteed a draft every. Single. Season.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Lol brandon saad. Get saad on the Sens organization and I bet you see a very different player than the one being centered by Jonathan toews. Boone Jenner? We have a bunch of guys like Boone Jenner.

We needed goal scoring in our organization. That's what we drafted. It's one pick. It's not like it's the only draft to ever happen. We got plenty more to go. Actually. Were guarenteed a draft every. Single. Season.

I can only wish that the bolded were true.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
It was a bad decision. We'll have to disagree. I believe Detroit drafted two superior players with our second round picks. It's foolhardy to be trading two seconds for a first so late in the first round. Boone Jenner, Brandon Saad and Nikita Kucherov are other superior players we might have drafted in the second round of that draft had we not squandered our picks on Matt Puempel.

Did santa bring you a crystal ball for Christmas?

Whats foolhardy is making bold statements about who was the better draft pick this early in their pro careers.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He totally isn't. How often does Michalek come away from a board battle with the puck? Almost never.

Anyways my whole point was that if Michalek is going to be replaced with an in-house player it's probably going to be a LW that does it because Michalek is a LW.

Puempel or Schneider might be a bit of a downgrade from Michalek, but at the same time if saving $3-4 million AAV on that roster spot lets them keep Hemsky, then the downgrade is totally worth it.

I'd say Michalek is our 2nd best board player aside from Chiasson. He is big and he's hard to get off the puck altough he doesn't play a very ''physical'' game he uses his body very well to protect the puck. He may not have a good year but got to give him whats he's been doing good.

EDIT: Ryan is good too along the boards.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I'd say Michalek is our 2nd best board player aside from Chiasson. He is big and he's hard to get off the puck altough he doesn't play a very ''physical'' game he uses his body very well to protect the puck. He may not have a good year but got to give him whats he's been doing good.

Michalek is borderline useless along the boards.
Being big, skating straight into the corner with with the puck, with your head down and being separated from the puck everytime does not make you a good board player.
NEVER winning a puck battle along the boards doesnt make you a good board player.
Being a good board player makes you a helpful possession player - those are words the are not in Michalek's vocabulary.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I can only wish that the bolded were true.

A good hard working second third liner. We have enough of that. We have enough of that for years to come. Not mention we are gonna probably draft that forever in the 15 pick range.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Eh Michalek loses quite a bit of his board battles.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Jenner and Saad are going to be / are way better players then Puempel.

Murray messed that up badly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Let's wait a bit before writing off Puempel. Lots of very good players take longer than their 21st bday before showing what they'll be.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
To say they messed up bad is a stretch...many teams passed on those guys and Puempel was/is a natural scorer which is what the team needs...lots of time for him to translate that to the NHL.

He was also the CHL rookie of the year and for what it is worth take a look at the names on that list over the recent history...pretty impressive.

Every year we can use hindsight to suggest we should have done better in the draft.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
To say they messed up bad is a stretch...many teams passed on those guys and Puempel was/is a natural scorer which is what the team needs...lots of time for him to translate that to the NHL.

He was also the CHL rookie of the year and for what it is worth take a look at the names on that list over the recent history...pretty impressive.

Every year we can use hindsight to suggest we should have done better in the draft.

As well we should.

I'm very excited about Puempel. Can't teach finish. I hope his time in the AHL rounds out his game and he can come in and stay and be productive.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Always nice for Captain Hindsight to make an appearance.

Murray doesn't make the move, and we complain that he never gambles to move up in the draft.

If Ottawa could only draft the best players every year, we'd have a Stanley Cup winning team!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

We drafted someone unique. Something that we needed. I dono why everyone is beat up over brandon saad and Boone Jenner. They're not perennial all stars. Nor are they game changers. Saad would have probably developed into a third line grinder here. He is what he is because of who he players with.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Let's wait a bit before writing off Puempel. Lots of very good players take longer than their 21st bday before showing what they'll be.
Im not writing off Puempel. I just prefer having two player/prospects on the same level as Puempel.

I said in another thread, we traded 2 loonies for 1 loonie. We got ripped off.
We drafted someone unique. Something that we needed. I dono why everyone is beat up over brandon saad and Boone Jenner. They're not perennial all stars. Nor are they game changers. Saad would have probably developed into a third line grinder here. He is what he is because of who he players with.

I wouldn't call Puempel unique.

Its not about not drafting Saad, Jenner, or Kucherov.

Kucherov is developing into an all star...

Saad is at least a 40 point player and could become a 50 or 60 point player... with or without Toews.

Jenner is looking like a great goal scoring powerforward 2nd line center.

Haven't even mentioned all the other players that are equal or slightly better then Puempel... which we could have gotten two of instead of just 1.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Im not writing off Puempel. I just prefer having two player/prospects on the same level as Puempel.

Saad is at least a 40 point player and could become a 50 or 60 point player... with or without Toews.

Haven't even mentioned all the other players that are equal or slightly better then Puempel... which we could have gotten two of instead of just 1.

I didn't mind the trade at the time and I still don't. We need finishers in this team. We went out and drafted one. I'm not sweating not having two instead of one. We are already jammed with prospects and there is no room in our roster as is.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, you said they are/will be way better. So, either you have written him off, or have very high expectations of the others.

I think it's fair to wait and see how his game transitions to the NHL before complaining about the trade, but that's just me.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Personally, I think it's ok to complain about trades before, during, and after.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Well, you said they are/will be way better. So, either you have written him off, or have very high expectations of the others.

I think it's fair to wait and see how his game transitions to the NHL before complaining about the trade, but that's just me.

Way better in the sense that Puempel is an AHLer wth no guarantee of being NHLer while the others are already legit top 6ers in the NHL and still getting better. Theres a decent chance they are going to be way better.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Michalek is borderline useless along the boards.
Being big, skating straight into the corner with with the puck, with your head down and being separated from the puck everytime does not make you a good board player.
NEVER winning a puck battle along the boards doesnt make you a good board player.
Being a good board player makes you a helpful possession player - those are words the are not in Michalek's vocabulary.

This needs to be restated for emphasis.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I wonder how many of the "2 or 3 years away" crowd were saying the exact same thing about Ceci a year ago.

If Puempel continues to score like this, he will get a look.

One thing I've learned from HF boards is people on here really dont know what they are talking about when it comes to player development. Not that you can blame them, not a lot of posters see enough Bingo games to understand how far along a player is in their development

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Way better in the sense that Puempel is an AHLer wth no guarantee of being NHLer while the others are already legit top 6ers in the NHL and still getting better. Theres a decent chance they are going to be way better.

Conacher was way better than a lot of prospects not too long ago. Greening looked like a legit top 6 player on Spezza's wing. Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Alfredsson hadn't even played a game by Puempels age.

Puempel has done nothing to decrease his value, looks like a very solid prospect, and has been rounding out his game in the ahl. Looking at a couple picks that exceeded expectations so far and saying we would have been better off grabbing both of them is just nonsense. Players develop at different paces, give them a few years before making final declarations on how a pick was a bad choice.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So, what are the odds this kid will get a cup of coffee in the bigs this year?

I want to get a glimpse of what he can do in some real NHL games.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So, what are the odds this kid will get a cup of coffee in the bigs this year?

I want to get a glimpse of what he can do in some real NHL games.

I think there is a possibility that he plays some games this year in the eventuality thta we aren't in the playoff race. He should be with the team next year. He had a great preseason, It's a good start.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Conacher was way better than a lot of prospects not too long ago. Greening looked like a legit top 6 player on Spezza's wing. Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Alfredsson hadn't even played a game by Puempels age.

Puempel has done nothing to decrease his value, looks like a very solid prospect, and has been rounding out his game in the ahl. Looking at a couple picks that exceeded expectations so far and saying we would have been better off grabbing both of them is just nonsense. Players develop at different paces, give them a few years before making final declarations on how a pick was a bad choice.

This isn't what im saying though.

Jenner, Kucherov and Saad could never have been born and I would still undo the trade.

I would take any combination of two players from the 2011 2nd round over 1 Puempel.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad