Matt Puempel rounding out his game in Binghamton

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
As left wing Matt Puempel of the American Hockey League's Binghamton Senators continues to evolve as a hockey player, one thing has remained constant: his natural ability to create offense.

"He's been a goal scorer wherever he's gone, and that has definitely followed him here," said Senators coach Luke Richardson. "His ability to look for openings offensively and his shot -- it's a heavy, major-league shot -- those are just God-given talents that aren't teachable to some people."

full article here
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=714047&navid=nhl:topheads

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
His evolution as a player in the couple of years is crazy.

He was a slow one-dimensional prolific scorer who had work ethic question marks when we drafted him with average to bad defensive game.

He has transformed into pretty good skating, offensive dynamo(not just scoring but in all facets of the offensive game) and muchhhhh better defensive game with better work ethic than anyone out there.

Huge strides. Can't wait to see him progress further.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
if he works on his skating purely this summer i can see him taking milos spot, give hemsky two snipers, and Peumpel two amazing playmakers

YOW

Nov 17, 2013
oceanview cabin
Why rush anything. Let him become over ripe in the minors a la Detroit. Didn't hurt Tatar or Nyqvist

Last edited:

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Prince and Lazar are more NHL ready than him and they themselves still need 2 years to be a regular in the NHL.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
You've got to be kidding me. He's 2 - 3 years away from seeing ANY action, much less a regular spot.

I don't know it depends on his off season and training camp, he could get a early try out on the season depending on how he looks after his training.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
i think he is much closer to the NHL than you guys are giving him credit for.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
i think he is much closer to the NHL than you guys are giving him credit for.

Yea. I'll give him one more full season in the AHL with like 5 games look here and there.

If he is not physically mature or still needs honing out his defensive game then another half a season.

He's already 3rd in the league in scoring as a rookie and has been on a tear second half. 2-3 years is extremely conservative.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
my opinion is that he will be a full timer by the end of next year. he obviously wont start the year here. but injuries happen, and i think hes past pageau on the depth chart just about. who else is there to call up? SDC will be gone, not that i want him to be. Hoff/Stone will be up from the start. Prince is probably gone in the summer in some sort of trade. Whether hes ready or not, hes the number one forward call up for next year.

Edit: Richardson seems to love him. You just know hes the guy the Luke sends up next. Forward version of Ceci (in Luke's eyes). no one thought pageau was ready.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
my opinion is that he will be a full timer by the end of next year. he obviously wont start the year here. but injuries happen, and i think hes past pageau on the depth chart just about. who else is there to call up? SDC will be gone, not that i want him to be. Hoff/Stone will be up from the start. Prince is probably gone in the summer in some sort of trade. Whether hes ready or not, hes the number one forward call up for next year.

Edit: Richardson seems to love him. You just know hes the guy the Luke sends up next. Forward version of Ceci (in Luke's eyes). no one thought pageau was ready.

Not sure about full timer, but he will see some games.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
I can see him making the Sens out of camp but 2-3 years is laughable same people thought Ceci was 2-3 years away

Puempel Lazar Stone ...line would be amazing

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I can see him making the Sens out of camp but 2-3 years is laughable same people thought Ceci was 2-3 years away

Puempel Lazar Stone ...line would be amazing

... in the AHL next season. Puempel and Lazar won't be ready next year.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Prince and Lazar are more NHL ready than him and they themselves still need 2 years to be a regular in the NHL.

Lazar cant get called up so it doesnt really matter, I figure either way Puempel will be fwd call up 3 or 4, up there with Pageau, Schneider and Prince. He's the only real top 6 option of those guys, so I figure he'll get a game or 2 next year. He's at least a full year from fulltime action though, probably closer to 2 as Main suggested.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Yea. I'll give him one more full season in the AHL with like 5 games look here and there.

If he is not physically mature or still needs honing out his defensive game then another half a season.

He's already 3rd in the league in scoring as a rookie and has been on a tear second half. 2-3 years is extremely conservative.

Just to clarify, he is 3rd in goals amongst AHL rookies this year. Not 3rd in the league.

John Holmes*

I wonder how many of the "2 or 3 years away" crowd were saying the exact same thing about Ceci a year ago.

If Puempel continues to score like this, he will get a look.

Caseus

squirrelly wrath
Mar 9, 2004
Ottawa
He has transformed into pretty good skating, offensive dynamo(not just scoring but in all facets of the offensive game) and muchhhhh better defensive game with better work ethic than anyone out there.

Huge strides. Can't wait to see him progress further.

That really put a smile on my face. Hope his progression continues next year.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
It isn't how long before be makes the jump, but rather how long before he is an effective NHLer?

It take 200 games played or so to really say the player is a player. Most players graduate, then take a step back as they pull the foot off the accelerator.

Obviously some players are special, like Karlsson, but they are rare and even with him he had better learn how to play defense or his Norris trophy will be sitting alone on the shelf.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
You've got to be kidding me. He's 2 - 3 years away from seeing ANY action, much less a regular spot.

He's on the verge of 30 goals in the AHL as a rookie. He's also developed his game in all zones. He's close.

People thought Ceci was 2-3 years away last offseason, Puemple is closer than Ceci was back then. He may have to wait until some guys are moved, but he's close to being ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad